DIY: Car won't start, but battery seems okay... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car won't start, but battery seems okay...

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Mazda6 (I don't know if it's 1st or 2nd Gen...). After school the other day I tried to start it to drive home and it wasn't starting (or seemingly even trying to). The battery clearly still had some charge to it because all of my lights and such were working. I tried jumping it with two other people and it didn't work either time. When I try to start, there is no sound like it's trying to start, some lights just come on and it doesn't do anything.

Since I couldn't jump start it, I'm wondering if there is something else I should check? There's always the possibility that I have a bad set of jumper cables or something, but I assume it's something with the car.

This happened a few weeks ago too (I was only away from my car for about 20 minutes, so it couldn't have been from leaving on lights or something). That time it was jumped successfully, and I went to Advanced Auto Parts and they tested the battery and alternator and said everything was fine.

The Mazda dealership nearby isn't open on the weekend, so I'm trying to see if I can identify and fix the problem before getting it towed on Monday. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:09 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Here - try this: http://www.ifitjams.com/start.gif It's not nearly as complicated as it looks. I suspect you have corrosion or battery sulfate residue on your battery post terminal(s). If you see the battery post caked white powdery residue, it's a sure sign. First thing I'd do is pull the cables, and clean (i.e., lightly scrape with sandpaper or a wire brush) both the inside of the terminals and the outside of the posts to ensure a good electrical connection.

If you can get it started, take it to another auto parts store to have the battery and alternator tested again. If both check out fine, a good preventative maintenance measure would be to change out the battery cables. It's fairly inexpensive to do, and worth doing on a 10+ year old car.

Last edited by TitaniumVT; 07-22-2018 at 02:11 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Checking the cables as mentioned above is the best place to start especially if you see corrosion.

If that is not the problem it is usually the battery. You can have a battery test fine for some reason and still not start your car. The next probability is the starter solenoid/motor.

Do the lights that come on dim significantly when you try and start it?

2018 Signature
White Pearl - Chestnut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
When I sold batteries some brands were built with lighter weight (thinner) internal plates that would crack with repeated heat/cool cycles and vibration. This would result in an internal short. The most common presentation would be working dash and ambient lighting until crank. When the starter is engaged the short manifests and all the interior lighting goes out and the starter does not turn. No amount jump starting will do in this case because there cannot be a complete circuit established.
Remedy = Replace the Battery.
good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page