Join Date: Aug 2016
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader: 0 reviews
I tackled the A/C compressor a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the shop and they sucked everything out. Then, the fun began. Jacked up car and removed right front wheel. Removed the fender liner. The tensioner bolt is 15mm. Socket won't clear. So, use a wrench. Not enough leverage. Can't find a pipe big enough to fit over the end of the wrench. Go to HW store to get a chunk of pipe. Come home and remove serpentine belt. Pretty well cracked. Have a replacement ready. Remove cover under the engine. Get two lower compressor bolts from the bottom. Tops bolts require some maneuvering around the intake manifold and radiator hoses, but my fat hands can reach them. Just need to find the right mix of extensions and flex joint to make it work. Remove compressor by finding the magic combinations of rotations and not dropping it on my head. Head to JY to pick up replacement ($75). Get home and install it without too much fuss. Go to disconnect the hoses that run from the compressor to the high and low side tubing, and one of the bolts breaks off in the connector on the low side. SOB. Stupid galvanic corrosion. JY doesn't carry the lines. Crap. So, begin the process of drilling it out. Tried an easy out, but it wasn't budging. Drill baby drill! Then, re-tap it. In retrospect, I didn't need to remove the line. There wasn't any sign crud in the oil or lines. So, flushing the lines probably wasn't necessary. So, 2+ hours of wasted time.
Went to AZ to get an AC vacuum pump. They had one, but no hoses for it. That's not much use. I'll have the shop do it instead, I guess. Fought the new serpentine belt for way too long. First, it took forever to find a diagram online. I thought I had it right, but wanted to be sure before I got too far along. Basically, a 3 person job. One to release the tensioner, one to guide the belt over the last pulley, and one to turn the crankshaft. What a pain. Probably wasted an hour trying to find which way the engine rotates. I thought (correctly) that it was CW. But, found it on an obscure belt diagram. Google is really failing when it comes to a newer Mazda 6 w/ the 2.5L. Just about worthless. Drained the tranny fluid and refilled it with 3 qts of Mazda Type M5. I was surprised by how dark it was already. Drove to the parts store to get some more fender liner clips. Found out that the left side low beam isn't working. Got home, checked the tranny fluid level. It was about 1/2 a qt low, so I topped it off.
The next day, I took it back to the shop where they vacuumed it out, checked for leaks, then filled it up with oil and R134a. Nice and quiet now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the garage (and the driveway):
2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium Wagon 3.0 DOHC (Mine)
2003 Mazda Protege5 (Daughter #1)
2008 Nissan Titan SE (Mine as well)
2010 Mazda 6i Grand Touring (Daughter #2)
2012 Toyota Camry LE (Wife)