DIY: EGR Modification/Optimization (3.0L V6) - Page 11 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 136 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exhaust Smells

Hey all,

I just did my plugs and the EGR mod on my 03 6s and now im getting an exhaust smell in my cabin after driving a while and coming to a stop. Anyone else get this? It smells terrible and im worried i F-ed up something in the process. I put new air intake gaskets on and i've heard they may smell while getting broken in but this seems much worse.

Thanks,

DS18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 136 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
when lifting the IM off, how are you guys getting it past the EGR nozzle? i can lift it up about 1/2" then the EGR gets in the way and stops it from lifting off. I pushed on the EGR a little but the steel tube(exhaust gas line?) stops it from moving far enough out of the way so the IM can clear
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewschenk For This Useful Post:
felipe161 (02-19-2012)
post #103 of 136 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
I was able to push the EGR module back far enough to squeeze the IM off once I removed all the bolts holding them together. It took a little force, but it's manageable.

2004 Mazda 6 Sport V6 MTX-Steel Grey

MSDS Headers/Ported Intake Manifolds + 1/2" Spacer/Injen CAI/3.7L OTB/TGNY TB Spacer/Magnaflow CBE/AWR 88 Mounts/Rotora H2 Ceramic Brakes//CF Evo Hood,Grill,Eyelids,Window Visors,Mirror Covers/CAR-LED Tails/35W 5000k HIDs/55W 6000k Integrated Fogs/LED Fogs/1000w Xplōd Amp/Two 800w 12" Xplōd Subs/15% Tints/18x8.5 +50 Kazera "CF" Rims/Hankook Ventus Evo 245/40/18

Future Mods:Powermod Tuner/Custom DoubleDin/BC Coils
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 136 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yea i got it, thanks for the quick reply though!
post #105 of 136 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
just did this mod the other day, i feel as tho i have better throttle response not sure on the gas mileage i will be able to tell in a couple days when i get home to see if it jumped up have an 05 6 S hatch with 118k and get 28 mpg on the highway
post #106 of 136 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
just did this finally..... after taking the im off do gap my plugs ....man did that tube ever get in the way of the flow wat a poor design

Sent from Canada bitches at LTE quad core speeds on my upgraded kit Kat LG G2...mess with me I'll drive by and turn your tv off
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #107 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No offense meant to anyone here--I'm all for modding a vehicle. In this thread I see all kinds of "in theory" and "feels better", but has anyone actually performed any tests (dyno, A/F, etc) to verify what's happening after this mod? Like I said, no offense but having worked for an OEM in the past, engineers always have something in mind for their designs and it's not like they just pull stuff from their behinds. Months or years of development take place, and I just don't see them going with a taller EGR tube "just because", especially if a smaller tube had benefits.

It all reminds me of the old V6 Taurus SHO and the "air horns" in the big intake manifold that had owners going nuts. Someone took apart their intake and found these metal tubes mounted in the front and rear sections of the mainfold directing air into the intake runners. This person thought "wow, those horns really restrict airflow... that's a stupid design!" and took them out. Other people started to do it, and each said how much harder the car pulled, etc. An engineer and SHO owner finally did a before/after comparison and found that removing the tubes added maybe 1-2 horsepower at the very end of the rev range (which on that motor was north of 7k) but lost 5-7 horsepower and similar torque figures (don't remember exact) down low. Those horns were there to better optimize a/f going into the engine at lower speeds, giving more usable power down low instead of a couple wasted ponies way up high. Obviously they had a very specific purpose.

I'd love to hear from anyone with some actual data on this mod? I've got some scheduled maintenance on the 6 coming up... I'm not opposed to doing this but I need more than "feels better" before I second guess the engineer that designed this setup

Goonies never say die!
---
04 6S five-door
-the daily

94 Buick Roadmaster Estate
-the LT1 funwagon
03 Mustang SVT Cobra 10th anniv. convertible
-the 500hp winter beater
post #108 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 361 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
DIY: EGR Modification/Optimization (3.0L V6)

Dont know about any before & after testing but it seems very logical to me. Stick your arm out the window while driving down the highway. Same idea. Its something in the path of air flow which will hinder flow & create turbulance. Aside from that, it makes removal & install of the plenum much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

---
---
---
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Smoke For This Useful Post:
ctmazda (01-21-2013)
post #109 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have came across a dyno/logs charts a long time ago and it was very minimal like .25hp iirc but thats all i can remember

Sent from Canada bitches at LTE quad core speeds on my upgraded kit Kat LG G2...mess with me I'll drive by and turn your tv off

post #110 of 136 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Groans: 7
Groaned at 37 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Great NY Send a message via MSN to The Great NY Send a message via Yahoo to The Great NY
ok, where in this DIY has it been stated that this mod is done to make power? please read the first post again. this mod is done to fix an airflow differential between the front and rear banks. YES there were MONITORED tests done to justify this mod. and the differences are listed in the first post.

thanks

Fully Built - Spoolin' and Juicin'
Flash Tuning For Your Mazda - Hit Me Up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Great NY For This Useful Post:
ctmazda (01-21-2013), Mr.Smoke (01-21-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page