Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By b1lk1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Bearing & Hub Assembly

Hey everyone,

I was just curious if anyone has replaced their hubs/ bearings in any of the 2014 or newer Mazdas. I am looking at getting some Moog wheel bearing and hub assemblies for the front and rear due to my Mazda having the original ones and being over 100,000 miles (108,576) to be exact. Does anyone know how hard they are to replace or recommend any other brands?

Thanks, and please let me know if I need to move this post somewhere else. I already looked in the DIY section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH View Post
Hey everyone,

I was just curious if anyone has replaced their hubs/ bearings in any of the 2014 or newer Mazdas. I am looking at getting some Moog wheel bearing and hub assemblies for the front and rear due to my Mazda having the original ones and being over 100,000 miles (108,576) to be exact. Does anyone know how hard they are to replace or recommend any other brands?

Thanks, and please let me know if I need to move this post somewhere else. I already looked in the DIY section.
I would not replace wheel bearings at any mileage just for the sake of doing it. Aftermarket wheel bearings, no matter who makes them, are no where near the quality of the originals. The rear bearings on my 2004 have almost 200K miles on them, quiet as a mouse and no issues. I replaced the fronts only when failing. Forget any particular brand name too, they are all made in China in the same factory and reboxed by resellers. Moog has long lost it's reputation once they started selling Chinese parts.

If you just want to spend the money, go for it. As a mechanic I never suggest changing any parts that are not considered consumable (bearings are not consumable items).
cutepoison likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...

Last edited by b1lk1; 04-21-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I'm fond of preventative maintenance, however, wheel bearings will tell you they are done a LONG time before they are a safety hazard. If you dont have any growling noises or axial wheel play, I suspect that is a lot of work and money for little return. The fronts require removal of the whole knuckle assembly so you can use a press to remove the hub and bearing. I'd probably leave it alone if no signals were provided there was an issue.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
....he fronts require removal of the whole knuckle assembly so you can use a press to remove the hub and bearing. ....

3rd gen is a 1-piece pre-assembled bolt on, 1st gen is the only gen with our style where you have to push bearing in. You don't have to pull the spindle off to do a 1st gen either, plenty of tools to do it on car.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post

3rd gen is a 1-piece pre-assembled bolt on, 1st gen is the only gen with our style where you have to push bearing in. You don't have to pull the spindle off to do a 1st gen either, plenty of tools to do it on car.
Didn't know that. I've always pulled them off the car and sent them to the shop to press them.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page