easiest way to kill traction control? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
easiest way to kill traction control?

i shut off the ABS by pulling the relay. that fixed the ABS and improved snow driving, but didnt kill the traction control. is there a similarly easy way to break/kill the traction control? if not, how should i do it, cut the wires at the front wheel sensors? i'd like to get that disabled ASAP so i can pull the cluster and murder out the related idiot lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
i shut off the ABS by pulling the relay. that fixed the ABS and improved snow driving, but didnt kill the traction control. is there a similarly easy way to break/kill the traction control? if not, how should i do it, cut the wires at the front wheel sensors? i'd like to get that disabled ASAP so i can pull the cluster and murder out the related idiot lights.

Do you not just have a button to disable the tcs? Or are you just looking for a more permanent way so you donít have to use the button?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
1. Why not just unplug things instead of cutting wires? You are asking for electrical issues just cutting wires.

2. I'd be real careful not to actually damage the cluster or you may put it into theft mode.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
Do you not just have a button to disable the tcs? Or are you just looking for a more permanent way so you donít have to use the button?
i just want it off all the time and no yellow light illuminated on the cluster. i already have these two on since i pulled the ABS fuse. i don't want it to look broken. IMO it's fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
1. Why not just unplug things instead of cutting wires? You are asking for electrical issues just cutting wires.

2. I'd be real careful not to actually damage the cluster or you may put it into theft mode.
1. just the way i talk. unplug. (:
curiously, is it possible i already disabled it by pulling the ABS fuse?
or if i unplug the part i circled in red, do you think that would do it? i'd rather unhook something easy to reach vs multiple things tucked in the wheel wells

2. pulling the cluster and reinstalling it is not an issue and won't aggravate the theft system, right? you're just saying be careful while i'm in there?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Honestly I have no idea as to what will happen once you unplug things. Also, if I am not mistaken, those idiot lights are LED's soldered to the PCB of the cluster.

I have no guess as to what else will be effected, although removing and reinstalling the cluster will not do anything to the theft system. I can't say the same about modifying it.

I have also read that even using the on/off switch for the TCS does not fully disengage it so again, it is impossible to know what is going to happen as far as I know.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...

Last edited by b1lk1; 01-18-2019 at 10:28 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to b1lk1 For This Useful Post:
RobertD (01-18-2019)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Garage
I completely understand not wanting to look broken I love my CAI but I hate the CEL it causes. As for unplugging the sensors theoretically it should work, tcs systems need to know the individual wheel speed to work so without it your tcs should be disabled. The only thing is it might mess with your speedometer I would just unplug them, go for a drive and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
I completely understand not wanting to look broken I love my CAI but I hate the CEL it causes. As for unplugging the sensors theoretically it should work, tcs systems need to know the individual wheel speed to work so without it your tcs should be disabled. The only thing is it might mess with your speedometer I would just unplug them, go for a drive and see what happens
i unplugged the big connector at the ABS computer. all 4 wheel sensors go directly to here only. car starts fine and there's no extra idiot lights on. i think this should murder out ALL the TCS and ABS stuff. if it works, i'll be thrilled. that's the easiest to operate connector i've ever unplugged. i'm excited to see how it drives but i'm the only one at work, so i'm stuck here for now.

4-8" of snow tonight. should be fun!! a few days ago i was driving in the snow. turning and tapping the brake while still lightly on the gas kicks it "slideways" just as well as the e-brake. looking at the wiring diagram, the grn/yel wire that goes up and off my screenshot goes to the brake pedal. i'm afraid if cruise doesn't deactivate when i hit the brake now i'll have to just disconnect the wheel sensors and reconnect this. cruise should have a grn/orange wire for brake sensing so i think i'll be fine, but definitely need to make sure. i'm not the greatest with wiring diagrams.

Last edited by RobertD; 01-18-2019 at 01:50 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Second start the CEL was on so no go just unplugging the connector.

I said I wasnt going to cut any wires...I clipped the red/wht wire at the connector and put heat shrink on both ends. It seemed less destructive than opening the brittle connector and unpinning it, and so damn easy. The result is no more TCS. it spins the tires. There is no check engine light.

Now I have a bunch of lights to shut off, which was expected. I'm going to look at the wiring to see if I can leave the cluster alone and shut them off with wires. @b1lk1 has me a little nervous about f'ing with the cluster. EDIT: studied a wiring diagram for the cluster, there's no wires for the idiot lights like the stone age cars i'm used to

Last edited by RobertD; 01-18-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

i assume i must be nuts, but hear me out..
my car feels quicker now. does that make any sense? like if i stab the throttle, it floors it instantly. it feels like it floors it faster.
like before if i stomped the gas it was lazily rolling on the throttle gently, now it just does what my foot does. it's pretty noticeable and i don't think i'm nuts, because usually with a placebo effect your mind is expecting it. i wasn't expecting anything except the TCS to be off, which it is.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

check it out. i thought back to the joke "the easiest way to turn off the check engine light is with electrical tape". i'm scared of the antitheft system. i'm scared of (removing) needles. the K.I.S.S. method just seemed like the best option. i cut little squares of black vinyl and blacked out the idiot lights from the back side.

in addition to blacking out a few icons i made "CRUISE MAIN" into "R" and "CRUISE" into a green "R" because i like using cruise control but wasn't a fan of the added lights at night. i like R's for obvious reasons. i also made the brights indicator just blue dashes, no dot. see here:

bluedevil6 and hurddawg like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page