post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auto to manual conversion

Hi all, can any body help with converting a 07 atenza from auto to manual? I cannot seem to find any wiring diagrams or ecu pinouts. Im not even sure if its been done before. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Probably because it's cost & labor intensive, Cheaper just finding a Manual transmission car with a straight body & swapping any upgrades from the Automatic Mazda 6 to the manual Mazda 6. I'd rather swap out interiors than drivetrain just saying.
idrive likes this.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
There are tons of Mazda 6's for sale, these are not rare cars so unless you tell me you live on an island, it will be much much cheaper to sell yours and get another. Plus you'll know for sure that the conversion will work, you'll have the right dash, right console, etc, and the resale value of your vehicle once converted will be close to zero.
Now I'm really curious about why you want to pursue this challenge...
idrive likes this.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Unless you are simply after the challenge and or bragging rights, I'd think that it would be in your best interest financially (and mechanically) to consider the advice of the previous posters.

Having said that, I've always said everyone needs a hobby!

Best of luck to you. If you take this on you are required to start a build thread so we can follow along.
dave in edmonds likes this.

2018 Signature - White Pearl - Chestnut
Build Thread:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Yea i know that is most peoples opinion but i am a mechanic and the job itself is no stress to me. The box is in just shifter and cvs left. I just cant find any info around converting it or any decent service manuals with wiring diagrams as id like to run manual ecu and dash but at this stage im going to trick auto ecu to get it driving. I am grateful for anyones thoughts on the subject just over hearing ' buy a manual ' because that was not part of the plan . I got all the pieces i needed for conversion cheaper than another 2nd hand auto which would probably be no good.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:17 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 760 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,815 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Best I can do ya is the V6 full workshop manual: MAZDA 6 FULL WORKSHOP MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

(If the link doesn't work, or goes to a dead website, try again - they've been having weird issues lately at 6Crew).

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
As a staunch supporter of manual transmissions, I commend your endeavor. You do the Lord's work, sir.

Manual transmissions, wagons, and heavy metal are awesome. Zoom-Zoom \m/
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon - 3.0L V6, 5MT, Steel Gray Metallic
Mods: R1 Concepts eLine rear rotors and pads, rear V6 emblem added
Other Mazdas owned: 2015 Mazda 5 Sport ATX (current), 2010 Mazda 6 ATX (traded), 1997 Protege MTX (sold)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
You will need the entire wiring harness out of a manual car as well as the steering column and dash cluster and keys. You will be changing everything under the hood, nothing is shared.

I have been a mechanic for almost 30yrs. If I were to look at this job without concern for time and money, it is not a difficult swap. You need a complete running/driving parts car and you basically swap subframe for subframe, column, cluster, pcm, exhaust, wiring harnesses and then chase down the gremlins.

Getting around PATS is the most critical/difficult part. The PCM from an auto will not work as it will not sense the car is in gear and the rev limiter will kick in around 4K RPM if it even runs right.

You cannot simply work around with OBD II and Ford based cars. Stick to 06-08 parts cars, 03-05 is different. It does not matter why you want to do it, it makes no sense TO do it.
jman1200 likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. 5spd never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...

Last edited by b1lk1; 10-04-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:50 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You will need the entire wiring harness out of a manual car as well as the steering column and dash cluster and keys. You will be changing everything under the hood, nothing is shared.

I have been a mechanic for almost 30yrs. If I were to look at this job without concern for time and money, it is not a difficult swap. You need a complete running/driving parts car and you basically swap subframe for subframe, column, cluster, pcm, exhaust, wiring harnesses and then chase down the gremlins.

Getting around PATS is the most critical/difficult part. The PCM from an auto will not work as it will not sense the car is in gear and the rev limiter will kick in around 4K RPM if it even runs right.

You cannot simply work around with OBD II and Ford based cars. Stick to 06-08 parts cars, 03-05 is different. It does not matter why you want to do it, it makes no sense TO do it.

Excellent summary of what is needed. However, sometimes you dig a hole just to see how deep you can go.

I second the need for full parts vehicle.

I commend the initiative and effort! All my literature is from the earlier series (03-05) or I would be happy send you wiring diagrams and the like. I have noticed many wiring similarities between the mazdaspeed6 (MPS) and Mk. 1.5 (06-08), and those factory manuals are free online.

I really want to see this live!

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks b1lk1 for the heads up i never thought it would be a simple swap but i will make it happen, and yes for me it is far cheaper to swap the trans vs sell and buy a manual as i would lose money selling and have2 pay more for a manual one anyway hence it makes sense to me. The conversion is going good so far biggest hiccup has been getting the auto out the bottom but i got there. Also putting the gear cables through was a mission as the drain tray/lower cover for the a/c box covers one of the nuts for the plate where the cables pass through and i dont think you can take it out in one piece without removing the entire unit which is dash out. I have an manual ecu but it has different connectors must be from a mazda speed or pre 06 im guessing so im running the auto ecu atm. The manual dash works so far has no check lights up lol. I plugged the auto gear selector in and set it to park for now and the car starts now just havent driven it yet as i still have to swap the brake master cylinder then bleed the clutch. Will be interesting when i drive it 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page