Any concerns as mileage gets higher? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Any concerns as mileage gets higher?

I was hoping for some input from people with higher mileage 6's. Mine is currently approaching 160k while it doesn't seem to have any issues is there anything I should start to worry about? The only thing I haven't done is eliminate the pre cats because I'm afraid of breaking off the rusty studs in the head. And I suspect my A/C compressor might be starting to fail. I have deleted the egr tube. The car is a 2007 3.0 V6 with the 6sp auto Aisin trans.

Things I have already done/do:

Spark plugs/ coils

Flushed ALL of the fluids ATF, PS fluid, Coolant, even the brake fluid

Regular oil changes with full synthetic high mileage oil with Hy-Per lube

water pump

cam seal

front crank seal

serp belt

idler pulley

Thanks for any input.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods-tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod with Trans Temp-Oil Pressure-Voltmeter, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, rear muffler delete

Mods to come
- lowering springs, cold air intake, gut cats

Audio- OE NON-Bose HU with 4 Boss Audio door speakers powered by 1000 watt Crunch amp with OE Bose sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to toy4x
At 200k, my radiator split and the rear cat on the rear header gave out. Also typical suspension replacements as tie rods and control arms. My engine and trans were still going strong at 245k when it was recently rear ended and totalled.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Mazda 6 GT Reflex Blue Mica
* Black Chrome 19" Stock Wheels * Koni FSD Shocks / Struts

* Formula 1 Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 30% * Air Blue 80 Windshield Tint
* OEM Rear Splash Guards * MV Tuning Front Lip / Sideskirt
* AIO Tweaks * Tanabe Medalion Exhaust & NF210 Lowering Springs
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 3
I work in a pretty big Mazda dealership. The most frequent problems we see with higher mileage 1st gen cars are lower control arms and catalytic converters. By and large, it they have been maintained well, the engines are good for well over 200,000 miles.

2004 Mazda6 Sport Wagon
2017 MX5 Grand Touring
2016 CX5 Grand Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Groans: 17
Garage
My car has 270,000KM (about 167,000 miles) and it still runs so strong and gets awesome gas mileage. My only real issue is rust. I'm replacing my rear quarters this winter and I plan on driving my car till it cannot be driven.

Just keep maintaining it, they do run a very long time when taken care of.
G Stone likes this.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So far it seems like I definitely need to gut my pre cats. I have already had control arm issues on the driver side I have the ones for the passenger side I just haven’t done them yet. @b1lk1 I too am battling rust on my rear quarters and the bottoms of my doors. As far as maintenance I service everything on or usually before it’s recomended interval. I’m no stranger to high mileage vehicles they just all seem to have odd things happen to them, we had a 98 ram 1500 sport that needed rod bearings at 215k a suburban that had to have a fuel pump and an alternator at 220k and then I had an Audi A4 that needed a turbo at 185k.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods-tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod with Trans Temp-Oil Pressure-Voltmeter, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, rear muffler delete

Mods to come

Audio- OE NON-Bose HU with 4 Boss Audio door speakers powered by 1000 watt Crunch amp with OE Bose sub
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Groans: 17
Garage
Gutting the precats is a guaranteed check engine light. I'm hoping that after I replace the converters in the CPE y-pipe that I can get my light off long enough for an emissions test. Only real way to keep the light off is new precats.

I bet there are TONS of good 6's in many scrapyards that simply need new converters.

2004 Mazda 6s 3.0 5dr. never ending money vacuum project:
CP-E headers w/catted mid + Magnaflow carback/AEM CAI/3.7L TB/Speed6 springs/RX-8 wheels
AWR 70D Enginemount/CP-E Dogbone/Custom urethane stock trans mount
Ralco shortshifter/Bose w/Auxmod/sharkfin antenna/lots of little things...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Gutting the precats is a guaranteed check engine light. I'm hoping that after I replace the converters in the CPE y-pipe that I can get my light off long enough for an emissions test. Only real way to keep the light off is new precats.

I bet there are TONS of good 6's in many scrapyards that simply need new converters.

I know this well

I did all my front control arms, inner and outer tie rod ends and motor mounts for a massive improvement.
I say take care of things as they arise and keep on your preventative maintenance.

The only other things that occurs to me would be the timing cover seal. Mine leaks and other frequently have this issue as well. I recently used Lucas oil stop leak (1/2 recommended amt) and it worked great on the cover seal.

I have also had to replace all the idler/tension bearings and I think the bearing on the AC clutch is going wince it whinnies nearly every cold start for about 1 second.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A CEL is not a big deal for me (while it will be annoying to look at) I do not have emissions testing where I live. I have looked at headers but the only ones I can find have been ridiculously priced.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods to come

Last edited by bluedevil6; 08-20-2018 at 02:35 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
@b1lk1 I just noticed in your sig it said 3.7 tb. I haven't seen anything on this mod yet is it worth doing, and if so what all needs to be done to do it?

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods to come

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
A CEL is not a big deal for me (while it will be annoying to look at) I do not have emissions testing where I live. I have looked at headers but the only ones I can find have been ridiculously priced.
The CEL will be on because deleting your precats will mess up the A/F ratio. You'll be running rich losing power and wasting fuel. The CEL for this situation is more than just a eye-sore orange light on your dash. My suggestion would be to replace the cats with a straight pipe at a muffler shop (the big open cavity of a gutted pre-cat will cause unwanted turbulence) and then get an ECU tune which will increase performance and remove the CEL. Or, like @b1lk1 suggested, go to a junkyard and pull some off another first gen. Clogged/faulty cats are often the result of a car either running overly rich or burning excessive amounts of oil. If you are consuming too much oil, switch to a thicker weight or something higher quality that won't burn as much. Be sure to check the car for codes in case you have a faulty injector or something causing the engine to run too rich.

Lower control arm failures are the result of two things. 1: Aggressive cornering, and 2: Rough, bumpy roads. It's not actually the control arm that fails (Unless your arm has physically snapped in half.) It is typically the ball-joint which becomes worn and starts to cause play. As cars became newer, manufacturers started to look for ways to cut costs with their parts so control arms and ball-joints are now integrated into one. You can check if your ball-joints are worn by lifting the car up in the car and taking a crow-bar to the arms. If the ball-joint is allowing your control arm to wiggle around, even just a little bit, you need new control arms. Replacing then will noticeably firm up your suspension and make the car drive better.

2015 Mazda 6 GS-L Touring - Liquid Silver Metallic - Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page