Mazda "Moly" oil revisited - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mazda "Moly" oil revisited

Hi all. Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but having just completed another "Mazda moly" oil change yesterday on my 2014 Mazda 6 bought new in late March 2013, I was surfing on-line and noticed that Idemitsu (the maker of this "OEM" branded oil) now markets this same oil under a new name (Idemitsu Zepro 0W-20 with Advanced Molybdenum - their spelling BTW). They also put out a press release that all their "once OEM oil" is more easily available and now available for purchase on Amazon. I checked it out and sure enough, there they were on Amazon (5 variants). The Moly variant was just shy of $30 for a 5 quart jug. I ordered a couple since I plan on continuing to use it.

Just a "heads up" for those of you that use this oil (being a constant reader of this great forum I know there are some fans out there that swear by this stuff). I've been using it since day one along with the Mazda factory oil filters (which is unlike me, normally I just buy local but the internet can be a wonderful place)! Never had an issue. I average 30 MPG in maybe 65/35 city to highway driving over the 5 years I've had the car (Minnesota, so numbers change some with the seasons up here).

Another heads up that I believe I HAVE seen mentioned here is that the Mazda OEM oil filter spec'ed for this car has changed part numbers and suppliers recently, the filter is now sourced from a Thailand supplier and not Japan. I have both versions of this Mazda branded filter along with a few Wix 57002's (which was designed specifically for Skyactiv) and compared them all side-by-side (did not cut into them however). Generally speaking, I'd say the Japan made one (Toyo-Roki PE01-14-302) is definitely heavier and feels better constructed (but appears to be no longer available), with the Thailand one (1WPE-14-302) and the Wix lighter but similar in shape/size/appearance. The Thailand variant still comes with shrink wrap on the open end like the Japan one did too. I'm sure any variant of these three are fine, but these are the only one's I will use personally. The Mazda oil filter "cap" wrench I bought for the Japan sourced one appears like it will work with all three variants, as well.

Rampage

"Out of pitch but still in tune" (Neil Young)

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
94 Protege (RIP, tranny died 3/25/13)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
14 Mazda 6 Blue Reflex Touring w/fogs & auto dim mirror
The Following User Says Thank You to rampage80 For This Useful Post:
Liquidsilver6 (05-29-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I probably should have posted this in the third gen "drivetrain" section, apologies. If the moderator sees fit to get this one where it needs to be, thank you! Rampage

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Solid info man.. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 782 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2888 Post(s)
Thanked 4,060 Times in 2,852 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Thread moved appropriately, and great information noted! I'll add this to the 3rd gen 1 stop shop simply because people might want to find it later on

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I'm on the same track with my 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Just as a footnote, I like this Idemitsu 0W-20 as it's one the most 'slippery" 0W-20's out there (I like that "Bobistheoilguy" site too, lol) and that comes in handy in the dead of winter up here in Minnesota when it's well below zero. I'm usually a Valvoline guy but for this engine, I'm sticking with the moly stuff since the price point isn't outrageous, and now available via Amazon as previously quoted. I'm sure any 0W-20 is fine, to each his own. I also took interest in some previous back and forth on a 5W-30 for this engine, I'd be OK with that in the summer up here (was 101 degrees here yesterday), but not in the winter. I'm with "Tickerguy" on this one in that the factory spec is 0W-20 and that should be fine year 'round IMO ( a couple of you argued that maybe 0W-20 was too thin in hot weather, I understand that point of view as well)...Rampage.

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch

Last edited by rampage80; 05-29-2018 at 01:03 PM. Reason: New thought related to base topic.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:46 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I switch in between Mazda with Moly for my winter oil and Mobil 1 0W-20 Advance Fully Syn for off-winter. I might try this Zepro oil since it will easy to get compared to driving two hours to Burnsville, MN dealership to get the more expensive Mazda with Moly. Thank you for this write up.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Good to see another MN (or Wisconsin) guy here Marksin, you are welcome. One thing I should be clear on, this newly named oil is (from what I've turned up) the exact same oil previously marketed as the "Mazda with Moly" stuff you are using for your winter oil, it's not a variant of that from what I can tell. The Idemitsu marketing dept at work no doubt (since it is truly their oil and not Mazda, since Mazda does not make oil). Rampage

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually Rampage, I am from Iowa! If its the exact same, it would be better because I have no issues with the Mazda branded oil. Will you be solely using the Idemitsu oil throughout the year? I was just thinking about how thin this oil is for temps like yesterday (98 degrees) when I did an oil change. Hopefully, the Mobil 1 0W-20 will do its job in these high temps.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Marksin, Iowa's good too (I actually grew up in Fargo N.D. and moved down here in 1987, yet I'm a Rams fan, I know...)! I am going with the Idemitsu all year round, yes. I pay a lot of attention to Byakuya's (forum moderator) and "Tickerguy"'s posts as they obviously know a lot more about cars than I do, and if a 0W-20 is good enough for them, it's good enough for me! I am a good researcher though, and I've seen nothing alarming out there to contradict their findings. I'm more of a "change the oil and the plugs" kind of guy, lol! I remember growing up in Fargo N.D. and literally crawling into the engine bay of my first car (1965 Impala), can't do that these days! I've had no engine issues whatsoever since purchase on this car and have been using the "Moly" (and factory oil filters) since day one. Cheers and happy motoring! Rampage

My Mazda lineage:

90 Protege (sold)
04 MPV
08 Mazda 3 Hatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page