Zeffer's Product Review: K&N Short Ram Intake - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Groans: 22
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
@tickerguy is doing a great job with all of this data, so I'll add mine:

After removing the K&N intake and reinstalling the OE airbox, my instances of exclaiming "fuck this piece of shit car" while the engine bogged from a stop went down significantly. The reduction of instant torque due to the hot engine bay air getting pulled in initially is hell for MTX drivers.
Zeffer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Grundle View Post
@tickerguy is doing a great job with all of this data, so I'll add mine:

After removing the K&N intake and reinstalling the OE airbox, my instances of exclaiming "fuck this piece of shit car" while the engine bogged from a stop went down significantly. The reduction of instant torque due to the hot engine bay air getting pulled in initially is hell for MTX drivers.
Oh god, so much this. Not the bogging, but the exclamation. I'm fairly handy, but when I run into a snag I get stuck on, it's always that. "F**k this bullshit dumpster fire of a car."

On the bogging, never had the issue with an AT transmission, even in sunny Florida in 100 degree days. It would go whenever I asked it to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
The AT masks the seat of the pants feeling, but not the impact on your acceleration times.

There's nothing like sucking a big chunk of 150F air down the intake to screw you; the ECU instantly pulls timing (if it didn't you'd blow a hole in a piston from detonation!) and there goes the torque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
I was thinking it'd be a more numb drive. I floor it all the time. I don't drive like a dick, but when I can get on it, I will. Haven't noticed any changes in acceleration, except for today.

You know how when you press the mechanical kickdown, it raises the rev limiter? Mine was hesitating at the top of the range. It would pause as if unsure, and then rev up again. Strange. It was 50 degrees out too.

-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
It's 50F out but it's 120F (or more) in the engine bay..... especially if you're in the city (e.g. not moving fast enough to turn over the air in the engine bay quickly.) The air in the engine bay has passed through the radiator and of course the job of the radiator is to take the heat in the coolant and transfer it to the.... air!

BTW there is no "mechanical" kick-down on these cars. AT vehicles have a fake "kick down" detent at the bottom of accelerator pedal travel but it isn't wired to anything. The ECU does read the last few percent (beyond the detent) however, as "downshift if RPMs are safe to do so". MT cars do not have the faux detent "switch."

Last edited by tickerguy; 01-04-2017 at 09:43 PM.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
It's 50F out but it's 120F (or more) in the engine bay..... especially if you're in the city (e.g. not moving fast enough to turn over the air in the engine bay quickly.) The air in the engine bay has passed through the radiator and of course the job of the radiator is to take the heat in the coolant and transfer it to the.... air!

BTW there is no "mechanical" kick-down on these cars. AT vehicles have a fake "kick down" detent at the bottom of accelerator pedal travel but it isn't wired to anything. The ECU does read the last few percent (beyond the detent) however, as "downshift if RPMs are safe to do so". MT cars do not have the faux detent "switch."
Well, naturally. I'm pulling cold air from three inlets: factory + two more, with heat shielding. I don't think it's a temperature issue. This was also while cruising back roads.

What else is it called? It's a physical kickdown. This is my first A/T vehicle with a kickdown, and in our 6, it downshifts to the lowest gear possible, and raises your rev limiter (or at least shifts later) as long as it's held down.

My issue was that, while pedal to the metal, when it hit that rev limit, it hesitated, then continued to gas. A similar effect to the fuel being cut, rather than being starved for air.

-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I really wish there was more knowledge out there from the general public on SRI's. The public is broken up into three groups.

1.) Those that know the truth and wouldn't touch one if it was given to them for free. 2.) Those that know they are getting robbed performance but don't care because they like the sound. 3.) Those that swear their car is faster because of their SRI (this group is the most frustrating because their butt dunno is way off). I also swear that the last group are paid moles by K&N themselves.

The reality is these things are completely pointless in modern cars and do absolutely nothing other than offer a really cool sound upon acceleration. I've been a part of over a dozen car forums in the last 10 years and each forum has people that fall into these groups. However cars that are more performance oriented usually have more group one followers where cars such as the Mazda 6 that don't have a lot of upgrade options usually have more group two and three followers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to my95tsi For This Useful Post:
tickerguy (01-04-2017)
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
I really wish there was more knowledge out there from the general public on SRI's. The public is broken up into three groups.

1.) Those that know the truth and wouldn't touch one if it was given to them for free. 2.) Those that know they are getting robbed performance but don't care because they like the sound. 3.) Those that swear their car is faster because of their SRI (this group is the most frustrating because their butt dunno is way off). I also swear that the last group are paid moles by K&N themselves.

The reality is these things are completely pointless in modern cars and do absolutely nothing other than offer a really cool sound upon acceleration. I've been a part of over a dozen car forums in the last 10 years and each forum has people that fall into these groups. However cars that are more performance oriented usually have more group one followers where cars such as the Mazda 6 that don't have a lot of upgrade options usually have more group two and three followers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Heheh, guilty of being a part of group two. If there wasn't such a fun factor attached to the sound, I wouldn't have one either.

-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Its funny how different people can perceive the same thing in radically different ways, isn't it?

I've run K&N intake products on many cars that I've owned and have had all three of my95tsi's impressions. I had a GTI where the intake actually degraded low end performance (actually not a K&N product, btw) - but this wasn't noticeable until I switched back to the stock box. I've had cars where the intake didn't seem to do anything but make noise. And I've had cars where the intake "seemed" to enhance performance on the top end. My M6 is one of those cars, seeming to pull stronger from 4k on up with the K&N intake on vs. the stock box.

I'm open to the idea that what I'm feeling may not, in fact, be what's happening...but, has anyone actually run back to back dyno sessions (stock box vs. K&N) on a 3rd gen M6? The only one I've ever seen is the one published by K&N.

2016 Mazda 6 Touring...gone but not forgotten.
Hopefully, some new owner is driving the wheels off her right now! They got a good one.

Last edited by jcme0557; 01-06-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added graph
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This discussion is frustrating to read, especially since i just purchased a SRI. I hope I can afford to dyno it and put this to rest at-least for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page