'09 M6 I4-GT MTX: After dead battery, stuck in "fail-safe" mode - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
'09 M6 I4-GT MTX: After dead battery, stuck in "fail-safe" mode

So I was working on some rust on my car door seams this past weekend, left the doors open overnight after re-painting and thought all the interior lights shut themselves off but I mustíve missed some because my battery was dead the next morning. Everything was fine prior to the dead battery.

Had to boost the battery in the morning and overnight used a charger to charge it back up to full. Now my car seems to be stuck in some ďfail-safeĒ mode as my keyless warning light and push button light are illuminated ďREDĒ when I push the clutch:

Eg from a random DTS (Fault Code) description in service manual:

"If this DTC is detected, the system will enter the fail-safe function to ensure safety. If the vehicle is left as it is for a specified time limit or more, or the ignition is operated a specified number of times or more while the fail-safe function is operating, the ignition will remain stuck in off and it is possible that the engine cannot be started. Therefore, perform the malfunction diagnosis while the engine can be started. In addition, after having performed the malfunction diagnosis, verify that this DTC is not detected with the steering wheel locked. If the DTC is not detected, the system returns to normal from the fail-safe function.

NOTE:

-When the system enters the fail-safe function, the keyless warning light and the push button start indicator light illuminate as follows:

-When the clutch pedal (MTX) or the brake pedal (ATX) is
depressed while the ignition is switched off, both lights
illuminate (red).
-When the ignition is switched to ACC or ON, both lights
illuminate (red) constantly."

I connected a bluetooth ODB-II reader and used the Torque app on my phone to try to clear out the DTC (faultcode) but Torque is saying there are no outstanding fault codes on the ECU?

Pretty sure Iíve encountered the car not being allowed to start back up but it seems if I connect my battery booster pack onto the battery first, Iím able to start it againÖnot sure if the ďcounterĒ is getting reset or maybe thereís a bad connection to the battery? Iím going to use a multimeter to verify the battery voltage/amperage and clean the battery posts if the measurements are fine in case it is battery related. The dashlights and everything are on bright when I encounter the car not even attempting to start the engine so I donít think itís the battery and suspect it's the fail-safe mode holding the car down.

Assuming the battery is fine, looks like I might have to bring it into the dealership so they can use their proprietary M-MDS system to clear out the fault code (DTC) thatís holding the car in ďfail-safeĒ mode? Doesnít seem like the ODB-II/Torque Iím using can see the fault code and clear it out.

Dealership will probably charge me at least $100 just to connect their computer and clear the code out so donít want to go there if I donít have to. I donít suspect there are any other issues but I guess I could be wrong.

Service manual instructions to clear out the DTC fault code details the proprietary M-MDS system commands, but the Torque app doesn't have anything besides "Clear fault codes" which does nothing as it doesn't even see any codes in the first place.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Spoke with a co-worker who's family runs a shop. Likely the code related to the push button start resides in the "Body" system. Torque only interfaces to the engine ECU codes. He offered to let me bring my car in to his family's shop and use their computer that can access the body codes and see if we can clear it from there.

Hopefully that will be it...all because I wanted to clean up some rust on my door seams before the winter salt hits!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What did you need to do to fix this, I'm having the same problem. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

We ended up just disconnecting the battery for 5 mins and when we reconnected it, the car was starting normally again. Worth a shot before having anyone look at it! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page