Mods needed to hit 200 HP - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speeder6 View Post
RacingTiger, considering how active you are on this forum, you seem fairly dissatisfied with the 6. It's definitely not a fast car, nor is it really mod friendly. It seems you may be happier trading it for something that is. (Of course, finances often rule, so I understand if you need to hold on to it for a while.) Just an observation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MPG and overall cost/value have kept the 6 in my grasp :P. The Volvo S60 is an option I'm considering with the new Drive-E line-up it drops 2hwy MPG but gains over 100HP in T6 trim.

Don't let my usual rants about power sound like I'm dis-satisfied with the car overall though. It's a nice car, just sluggish with almost no low end power, and that's VERY new to me. I love the styling and the car in general, it's just lacking in the power department (especially in the summer, not so bad with the 50* weather last week). I'll most likely be hanging on to it until the wave of 200 mile range EV's hit in 2016/17

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Garage
Racing Tiger, do yourself a favor and get a straight thru muffler installed. Yeah you'll lose the diffuser, but I bet your mpgs will still improve even with all highway driving. Why? The increase in torque especially at low RPMs is very good which directly translates to improved fuel economy. There's a steep tiny little hill in my neighborhood I have to stop at the bottom and go up every day. I couldn't pull it in 2nd gear at 10 mph before, it would start to lug and loose speed and I'd have to shift back into 1st. After getting the muffler it can pull up it fine in 2nd gear with a fully loaded car. The importance of that is the increase in torque is all there even with just tiny amounts of throttle and low RPMs.

Of the three performance related changes I've made-intake, exhaust and 89 octane, the muffler change made the most satisfying improvement in making the engine more solid and powerful instead of feeling soft and weak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;

Last edited by solar365; 10-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar365 For This Useful Post:
OCTOGONPC (10-10-2014), RacingTiger03 (10-10-2014)
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Thanked 1,241 Times in 780 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Is there any actual data to substantiate these claims?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A, Perf Pkg, Livernois Tuned
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/ Tech
2002 Dodge Neon SXT
1972 Chevrolet C-10, 350/350
1967 Buick Skylark 2DR, 300/300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartGroceries View Post
Is there any actual data to substantiate these claims?
Which claims? If your asking about my claims go to the link in my signature.

Flowmaster dBX Exhaust---Corksport SRI W/Cold Air Box---OrangeVirus Tuned ECU---90lb Weight Red.---Shifter Mods

;
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Thanked 1,241 Times in 780 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'd say that's about average for an air intake upgrade on a modern engine.
A couple of those dyno plots show a nice, linear gain throughout the powerband.

But, what about the octane claim? Is it proven that the S-G will advance timing enough with premium fuels to yield a gain in power output?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO, 402A, Perf Pkg, Livernois Tuned
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/ Tech
2002 Dodge Neon SXT
1972 Chevrolet C-10, 350/350
1967 Buick Skylark 2DR, 300/300
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Garage
Full throttle gains with different octanes is intake temperature dependent. At 50 degrees or less 87 will probably make the most power, and 100 degrees 91+ will probably make the most power.

At all temperatures the higher the octane the better the throttle response and power at part throttle.

I also think with the intake and exhaust mods that are causing the engine to run a bit more lean that a bias towards higher octane will improve ful throttle gains vs stock, hence I run 89 with my mods.

;
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 11
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
VTEC stickers, alot of them

2006 Mazda 6s Auto with 145,000 Miles (traded for 2015 Touring)
2015 Mazda 6 Touring w/6Spd Manual (having an ex wife allows for having a manual again
)(traded for 2017 Touring)
2017 Mazda 6 Touring w/Auto (done rowing gears and the skyactive auto has proven to be far more reliable than the one in my 2006)
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
trade it in for something else. :P Partially kidding, partially serious. If the 200HP # is that important to you, I really would trade it in for something like the new TLX. *shrug*. The 6 is sluggish IMO, but can be driven to be peppy, and for MOST people out there, has plenty of pep. I personally regret getting the 6 from a performance aspect. Had my daily car at the time not decided to break the start, I probably would have an entirely different car just a few months down from that event. Instead I bought the 6 then my wife's miata when I had planned to replace my daily :/.

At best.. drive in manual and keep the revs over 3,000RPM
How would a TLX be much of an upgrade? It's heavier and marginally quicker than a stock 6 sport with an MT. The TLX starts at 35K (can.) ...my 6 was 24K. That would not be good advice in my book. Not sure why anybody would rag on the Mazda's performance, considering the size and practicality, the car is plenty quick, and frankly downright impressive considering it's design constraints. If a 3rd gen 6 is slow, then so is a TLX. If you want 260hp plus V6-8, your gonna burn considerably more fuel, plain and simple. Spoken of in proper context, claiming the 6 is underpowered is moronic, and frankly anyone who spouts such nonsense is delusional - then why buy the 6 then?! answer: because I want good fuel economy....so why complain about that after the fact? Sign me up for the first car that I can drive the piss out of that weighs close to 3200 lbs has 275 or more hp that gets the 10-12 more avg mpg that the 6 gets me!...ya, that's what I thought
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 02:54 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingTiger03 View Post
MPG and overall cost/value have kept the 6 in my grasp :P. The Volvo S60 is an option I'm considering with the new Drive-E line-up it drops 2hwy MPG but gains over 100HP in T6 trim.

Don't let my usual rants about power sound like I'm dis-satisfied with the car overall though. It's a nice car, just sluggish with almost no low end power, and that's VERY new to me. I love the styling and the car in general, it's just lacking in the power department (especially in the summer, not so bad with the 50* weather last week). I'll most likely be hanging on to it until the wave of 200 mile range EV's hit in 2016/17
No low end power? compared to what?! I have a V8 track only car and compared to that...ya, ok. Compared to all other NA 4 cylinder cars I have driven or owned - there is no getting around the fact that that IS a moronic statement left unqualified on it's own. Max available torque from 3250 rpm makes the SA 2.5l by far the most low end torque in any 4 banger I've driven. Moderate throttle moves the car around effortlessly. For NA 4 cylinder the torque is damn good. Now that's an accurate statement.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
V8 firebird street car, 4cyl NA '13 miata, 4 cyl turbo CX-7, 4 cyl NA cobalt, 4 cyl altima coupe, V6 firebird. All cars I've owned, all had more low end pull than the 6 offers at given throttle positions. Go drive a base model cruze.. less power, more pull. At tip in, and low RPM, the car simply has NO pull from a stop or on the interstate. It requires SIGNIFICANT effort and patience to get moving. Even that little cobalt I mentioned didn't feel lethargic as the 6 does prior to 3K RPM. There's no denying it.. the car is running an efficiency cycle at that stage, where anything else I've owned wasn't. It's DIFFERENT. Hell Even my formula with a cam that's powerband is from 3,250-7,000RPM has more pull at 1,500 than the 6 has at 3,000RPM.. and that's with 32* of valve overlap :O
Please tell me more how that is an un-quantifiable statement and moronic. As for a car that gets your agenda.. same one I'm debating trading in on. 302HP Volvo T6 S60. 36hwy MPG ~13.9 1/4 mile... You were saying? At the time I bought this car, it was un-heard of and altima was the only other competitor for the same MPG and power.. I swore off Nissan close to 8 years ago, so I had one choice and I loved how the car looked (still do)
The TLX is a stretch I'll give you that. But as for 200HP as a #.. it does it. I could've just as easily named the base Volvo S60 with 250HP with turbo and torque from 1,800RPM up, but that just wouldn't be fair now would it?

Solar if the 6 survives this round of my wanting to buy something else, it WILL get a K&N CAI and a magnaflow muffler (most likely single exit and a dummy tip on the left)

2013 Volt (family car)
2013 MX5 Club PRHT (wife's toy)
2001 Firebird Formula (my toy
)
The Following User Says NO Thank You to RacingTiger03 For This Un-useful Post:
guinman (11-03-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page