Should I do my first car service at 1,500 miles? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I do my first car service at 1,500 miles?

Guys,

I purchased my 6 in mid-Nov., 2013. It's almost 6 months since the purchase. As per the owner's manual, I am supposed to do my first car service in mid-May since the time is about to hit the limit.

However, my car has only 1,500 miles on it, which is far less than 7,500 miles limit. In the manual, it recommends the service every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

I saw some articles claiming the oil that comes with the car is for *break-in* purposes. I am not sure if 1,500 miles is enough for these purposes?

My concern is, if I do not do my first car service when time hits the "6-month" limit, would it void or affect my warranty?

I emailed Mazda, and the reply seems not quite helpful:
"Regarding your warranty inquiry, your Mazda Warranty Information booklet advises any repairs due to lack of maintenance may be declined warranty coverage. However, there is no way for us to predict whether going beyond 7,500 miles or 6 months will affect the vehicle or your warranty coverage."

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Get it changed, obviously you don't drive much but the same oil for so long and after (I'm assuming, depending on your location) extreme weather changes needs to go, in my opinion, even with such low mileage.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Just change your oil, Why would you risk your warranty? If it says 6 months or 7500 miles whichever comes first what are you actually questioning here?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I got my first service 4 months in with 1300 miles.

Schedule 2 maint.

Lot's of stop and go city traffic only.

Like the others have said, why risk it?

It costs less than 300 bucks a year for peace of mind.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 767 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2783 Post(s)
Thanked 4,019 Times in 2,824 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Got my first service at 6000 miles on the dot, but I did that in just under 2 months of ownership soooo...

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Garage
Haven't thought about that... I'm on a 1,000 mi/month pace and plan on getting my first oil change at 5,000 (5 months) but after that I'm going to go 7,000 - 7,500 which should be 7 months... guess I should put some thought into going on a 6 month routine.

2014 Mazda 6 Grand Touring - Snowflake White
1996 Mazda B2300 Regular Cab 4x2 SE

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
If my car only has 1.5Kim on the clock at month 6...even on the factory break in oil, I'd have it changed. 6 months would be the max for my engine oil. Nothing beyond (and I never did go past, on any of my rides).

Now, if Corprate Mazda emails me that stipulates anything warranty-wise..I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and play it safe (no hassles). I'll bring it to the dealer for the 1st OCI. Just to show adherence and "good faith" to that Corporate warranty email reply (documented), should anything "defective" pops out. On the succeeding OCIs, I would do the oil changes myself if I so decide. Just keep paper trails/documentation/receipts, etc.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
The OP's question is a good one. What's everyone's thought on low mileage and a brutal winter? Still change out the oil at the 6 month mark? The Mazda service tech says that they use synthetic oil now which should be able to have a much higher tolerance of driving variables... which leads me to believe that the interval of oil changes can be widened.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbam987 View Post
The OP's question is a good one. What's everyone's thought on low mileage and a brutal winter? Still change out the oil at the 6 month mark? The Mazda service tech says that they use synthetic oil now which should be able to have a much higher tolerance of driving variables... which leads me to believe that the interval of oil changes can be widened.
What's in question? 6 months or 7500 Miles whichever comes first. There's absolutely nothing in question.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shook187 For This Useful Post:
VWGTI123 (04-28-2014)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I don't think there was anything special about the oil in the vehicle. Just had ZDDP as the additive (typical for most oils) which helps during break in. The Castrol oil most Mazda dealerships are using now should have the same stuff (I haven't verified by test yet).

Found this from Edmunds...

Quote:
5. When you buy a new car, change your oil at 3,000 miles to remove metal particles from the engine break-in process. There might be a grain of truth to this, according to the experts at Blackstone. Oil samples from engines during the first 3,000 miles of driving show elevated "wear-in" metal levels, coming from the pistons and camshafts, says Ryan Stark, Blackstone's president. But he added, "To me, it doesn't make that much difference because if the filings are big enough to cause damage, they will be taken out by the oil filter."
However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil. The take-away? If there are any special break-in recommendations from the manufacturer, follow them. And consider analyzing the oil at 3,000 miles
All I know is that my Mazda did not have moly disulfide as an additive when I purchased it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page