Grinding noise during acceleration through corners - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grinding noise during acceleration through corners

Hello all,

I recently purchased this vehicle and during the test drive didnt notice anything. A few days later I've been hearing a grinding/clicking noise when I accelerate with my steering wheel turned. It doesn't seem to favor any one side. I was thinking CV boot initially but its more then just a click.

If I'm turning through a light and the noise is present, I can take my foot of the gas and it stops even though the car is still moving. Once I put my foot back on the accelerator the noise re-appears. Keep in mind after I've completed my turn and i'm driving straight again its fine. Of course here in MN its -18 so I cant get under the car to look at much at the moment.

Appreciate any insight into this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Drizzoh Send a message via MSN to Drizzoh Send a message via Yahoo to Drizzoh
I'd check the motor mounts and the axles as well as all of the front suspension control arm bushings. The first gen's are getting up there in age now so they're starting to wear out those suspension pieces. I just replaced all of the above, FWIW, lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Andrew |

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks drizzoh. I'll look it over tomorrow. Were getting a warm burst to 30 degrees then back to 2 degrees. What did all that run you for parts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah I've got the exact same problem, I can't figure out whats going on, and let me guess when the car fully warmed up (or not too cold out) the noise stops?

I'm totally NOT an expert on my Mazda (just bought it also) but I'd be surprised if it would be suspension/mount related, like Drizzoh mentioned, because it seems the noise will continue until you let go of the gas or stop turning. (although I've never tired it, the sound is too nasty)

In case I forget my car is a 2010 Mazda 6 GT
**This post WILL contain all kinds of grammatical errors, I apologize, English isn't my first language**
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Glad I'm not alone. Friday night I didn't notice the sound at all and it was 25 to 30 degrees all day. The week prior was basically in the negatives. I'm going to check motor mounts and replace as needed. Were In For another round of arctic sub zeros so I'll check for the noise again tomorrow morning.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Learners License

Garage
A quick question @guyforks is the noise more like a crunching instead of grinding?

And I thought about the CV joint, but from my past experience a bad cv joint is more of a click/knock would that be true for the Mazda? (used to american vehicles, you know might be different)

**This post WILL contain all kinds of grammatical errors, I apologize, English isn't my first language**
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just park with the wheels turned and peak at the outboard boot. If torn and grease slung they almost always click in tight corners.

So, if yours all have the boots intact and they grind, that seems odd. Try gently leaning on the brakes while turning and see if it changes tone or pitch.

Anyway the brake pads are shot? Is it both sides or just one side and both directions?

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:52 AM
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Impact View Post
Is it both sides or just one side and both directions?
Well I don't know for guyforks, but for me it seems to come from the middle...and happens in either turning direction.

And like I said before it's a grinding noise, not a clicking noise (that would be associated with a CV joint)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM
Learners License

I am having the same issue on my car as well. Just started to happen. Any comments anyone?

It is a grinding. Not a clicking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page