Mechanic left oil cap off.... now what? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Mechanic left oil cap off.... now what?

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Title says it all.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, which I took in for a oil change, and tire rotation. I got the car back in June, and have put 14k miles on it.

I was driving home from the dealer yesterday, after the oil change, and I thought the car felt like it was running rough, but chalked it up to a bumpy road. In retrospect, I should have pulled over and checked the oil. I live about 45 miles away from dealer.

Today I took it out and drove for a few miles, and the noticed again that the car felt like it was running rough. I turned around and drove it back to my house (+4-6 miles). When I popped the hood I was treated to a complete mess. The mechanic had forgotten to replace the engine oil cap (it was sitting right next to it), and oil covered the entire top the engine, the pad under the hood, and the back of the engine bay. Many of the hoses were splattered in oil, and looking down into the engine revealed that it was also drenched in oil.

I checked the oil and nothing registered on the dip stick (hot). This just happened so I am going to check it again in 20-30 minutes to see where it is at. So now I am at the point where I am wondering what I should do.

I called the dealership and they had me call roadside assistance to get the car towed to them. They are also bringing me a loaner tomorrow. They said we could talk about options once they have had a chance to look at it. I am thinking though, that if the car was running rough enough for me to notice, there is a high probability that irreparable damage has been done to the engine I feel like the best compensation I can hope for is an extended warranty. It leaves me feeling like all I want to do is unload this car now, since it seems like a ticking time bomb.

What do you guys think? What options do I have available? And should I appeal directly to mazda?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

Title says it all.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, which I took in for a oil change, and tire rotation. I got the car back in June, and have put 14k miles on it.

I was driving home from the dealer yesterday, after the oil change, and I thought the car felt like it was running rough, but chalked it up to a bumpy road. In retrospect, I should have pulled over and checked the oil. I live about 45 miles away from dealer.

Today I took it out and drove for a few miles, and the noticed again that the car felt like it was running rough. I turned around and drove it back to my house (+4-6 miles). When I popped the hood I was treated to a complete mess. The mechanic had forgotten to replace the engine oil cap (it was sitting right next to it), and oil covered the entire top the engine, the pad under the hood, and the back of the engine bay. Many of the hoses were splattered in oil, and looking down into the engine revealed that it was also drenched in oil.

I checked the oil and nothing registered on the dip stick (hot). This just happened so I am going to check it again in 20-30 minutes to see where it is at. So now I am at the point where I am wondering what I should do.

I called the dealership and they had me call roadside assistance to get the car towed to them. They are also bringing me a loaner tomorrow. They said we could talk about options once they have had a chance to look at it. I am thinking though, that if the car was running rough enough for me to notice, there is a high probability that irreparable damage has been done to the engine I feel like the best compensation I can hope for is an extended warranty. It leaves me feeling like all I want to do is unload this car now, since it seems like a ticking time bomb.

What do you guys think? What options do I have available? And should I appeal directly to mazda?
Did the low oil pressure light come on? I cant imagine that there has not been any damage to the engine. Many dont know that oil is not only a lubricant but also a coolant for your engine and when there is no oil the metal will actually expand the cylinders and the cylinder walls causing friction leading to metal shavings being introduced into the engine. I would try to see if they give the car back to you if it idles rough. I would try to push for a new engine from Mazda and if your not happy take it up the chain. No oil is probably the worst thing you can do to your engine. If they towed it to the shop I cant immagine that they will try to give it back to you with just an oil change. Keep them on thier feet and dont let them bully you until you're happy. OH AND TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2014mazda6 For This Useful Post:
Coffee (11-17-2013), nobouncecap (05-04-2014)
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Groans: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd definitely call up Mazda, after the dealership, after you've taken adequate photos and spoken to a mechanic. Make sure to document everything, down to the minute of possible, and get it in writing that the dealership screwed up.

Not sure what Mazda will propose to you, but if you have concrete proof and photos, it should get you further along than a case of "he said she said".

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and best of luck to you. Unfortunately it might be hard to prove that your engine has irreparable damage (though i'm definitely not an expert by any means), though a third party inspection and mechanic's word might reinforce that. A lawyer might help as well, but only if it comes down to it.

2014 Mazda6 JBM Sport.
LED Treatment (Red Interior, White Vanity, White Trunk, White License Plate, Rear Turn Signal LEDs)
DDM 55W HIDs
AutoTrim Kick Plates & Mud Flaps
Wishlist: Corksport SRI,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 25% Tints,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Chrome Door Handles, Gloss Plastidipped Wheels.

The Following User Says Thank You to danstheman7 For This Useful Post:
Coffee (11-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks.

After waiting 30 minutes, I checked the oil again and only the very tip of the stick had anything on it. The oil light never did come on.

I did snap a bunch of photos before I had it towed. I am thinking I am going to push for a new engine, or a new car. If this car had been a few years old, then I might not care so much, but a new car... Extremely frustrating.

It was a terrible experience purchasing this car, and this just adds to it. Since I know some of you are in the upstate NY area, avoid Romando Mazda of Syracuse NY at all costs.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 779 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2882 Post(s)
Thanked 4,059 Times in 2,851 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
That sucks man. I'd do everything suggested above, good luck with your endeavors.
@Mz6GreyGhost is in Syracuse so I'm sure he'd appreciate knowing NOT to ever go there.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following User Says Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
Coffee (11-17-2013)
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Groans: 18
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post

Title says it all.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, which I took in for a oil change, and tire rotation. I got the car back mind.une, and have put 14k miles on it.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Contact Mazda Corporate via email asap. Get a case number, be demanding and firm on your situation. This ineptness on a simple procedure as an oil change is definitely inexcusable, coming from of all people...the Mazda dealer service depts bragging BS pitch of "factory trained" Mazda techs.

Just 5 days ago, Vets Day I went to my dealer for my cars 1st OCI and brought my own syn oil. The idiot tech overfilled my crankcase (was expecting the worse that morning) and clueless service advisor insists that our 2.5L takes a full 5qts (only 4.8qts with oil and filter change). But prior to leaving the dealership, I inspected the car (always my RULE OF THUMB, I also always have my digcam with me, if needed for documenting "anything") and engine bay. The dipstick min-max gauge area was somewhat smothered all over with oil, as it was hard to read then and I was in a hurry to leave since I do not want to wait any longer around dealer premises. When I left, my oil overfill hunch was still there.

True enough, when I got home, I left the car sit for over an hour, and there it was..overfill. SoI took out my oil boy/fluid extractor and took off the excess. I took matters in my own hands to rectify the overfill as they botched a simple procedure as measuring the motor oil...who would rely to them to correct the overfill issue? I for one simply do not trust these idiots. As I said on one of my prior posts in another thread...The dealer and service dept incompetence is unparalleled.

What I did next, I emailed Mazda Corporate on the matter (my direct, regular Mazda CS contact was appreciative on my dealer botched OCI feedback)...and the service advisor, got a text and piece of my mind on the phone.

NEVER be complacent on a dealer service dept visit. NEVER trust a car dealership.

Last edited by ExB5; 11-16-2013 at 08:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ExB5 For This Useful Post:
Coffee (11-17-2013)
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExB5 View Post
Sorry to hear about your car.

Contact Mazda Corporate via email asap. Get a case number, be demanding and firm on your situation. This ineptness on a simple procedure as an oil change is definitely inexcusable, coming from of all people...the Mazda dealer service depts bragging BS pitch of "factory trained" Mazda techs.

Just 5 days ago, Vets Day I went to my dealer for my cars 1st OCI and brought my own syn oil. The idiot tech overfilled my crankcase (was expecting the worse that morning) and clueless service advisor insists that our 2.5L takes a full 5qts (only 4.8qts with oil and filter change). But prior to leaving the dealership, I inspected the car (always my RULE OF THUMB, I also always have my digcam with me, if needed for documenting "anything") and engine bay. The dipstick min-max gauge area was somewhat smothered all over with oil, as it was hard to read then and I was in a hurry to leave since I do not want to wait any longer around dealer premises. When I left, my oil overfill hunch was still there.

True enough, when I got home, I left the car sit for over an hour, and there it was..overfill. SoI took out my oil boy/fluid extractor and took off the excess. I took matters in my own hands to rectify the overfill as they botched a simple procedure as measuring the motor oil...who would rely to them to correct the overfill issue? I for one simply do not trust these idiots. As I said on one of my prior posts in another thread...The dealer and service dept incompetence is unparalleled.

What I did next, I emailed Mazda Corporate on the matter (my direct, regular Mazda CS contact was appreciative on my dealer botched OCI feedback)...and the service advisor, got a text and piece of my mind on the phone.

NEVER be complacent on a dealer service dept visit. NEVER trust a car dealership.
Its funny because up until this point, I have never trusted a dealer and done most of my own repairs/maintenance. I thought with this car I would do everything "by the book".

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Is there anyone from corporate I should contact in particular? Or just start at the Mazda customer experience email address?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
I wonder if this dealership bothers to do random drug testing of their service personnel?
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Groans: 45
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Dealership grease monkeys are normally just entry-level porters that got recently promoted. Why anyone would trust them with their car is a mystery to me.

With that being said, they should change the filter, add oil, put the cap on this time, and see how it runs. The fact you had oil registering on the dip stick at all is good. The rest is cosmetic.

2009 Mazda 6s GT - Rotora BBK, KSport coilovers, 19" TSW, Injen CAI, Addco RSB, AWR rmm |
2012 Genesis Coupe Turbo
- 2012 Hyundai Coupe 2.0T - ARK, DEPO, HKS, RMR, Prodigy, Sequence, SFR, Stillen, TXS, Varrstoen |

Plasti dip is for tool handles.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Dealership grease monkeys are normally just entry-level porters that got recently promoted. Why anyone would trust them with their car is a mystery to me.

With that being said, they should change the filter, add oil, put the cap on this time, and see how it runs. The fact you had oil registering on the dip stick at all is good. The rest is cosmetic.
You really don't think that permanent damage has been done? I would think that if it is running rough enough for me to obviously tell that something was wrong, then there is high probability that damage has occurred, however small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page