Idler pulley fell off, cant see if bolt is stuck - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By randysf16

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Idler pulley fell off, cant see if bolt is stuck

Hello all,
Last week I thought my serpentine belt snapped but as it turns out my idler pulley fell off. The bolt snapped. The problem I am having is that I canít see if the bolt is still stuck in there or if it worked its way loose. Since the bolt is snapped I assume itís stuck in there but I canít see clearly enough to tell. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. I have the car jacked up and the wheel off but due to the way the engine is set in the bay I can barely get a postage stamp slid on the side, let alone have enough room to get a clear view or do any work. My internet searches have yielded no results. If the bolt is out, hopefully I can attach a new pulley, put the belt back on and go but right now I just canít even tell is the bolt is stuck or not.

Does anyone have a walkthrough, video, or any pictures that might help with this situation? Anything will help, Iím left scratching my head and asking friends to take a look on their off days. Itís a 2003 6i, 2.3L.

I have the pulley and broken bolt still, but it does me no good until I can see whatís going on in there. If you have anything at all you think might help, please share. Iím stranded until I get this thing repaired. Thanks all!

**Don't buy from Accolade, srsly**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Hello all,
Last week I thought my serpentine belt snapped but as it turns out my idler pulley fell off. The bolt snapped. The problem I am having is that I canít see if the bolt is still stuck in there or if it worked its way loose. Since the bolt is snapped I assume itís stuck in there but I canít see clearly enough to tell. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. I have the car jacked up and the wheel off but due to the way the engine is set in the bay I can barely get a postage stamp slid on the side, let alone have enough room to get a clear view or do any work. My internet searches have yielded no results. If the bolt is out, hopefully I can attach a new pulley, put the belt back on and go but right now I just canít even tell is the bolt is stuck or not.

Does anyone have a walkthrough, video, or any pictures that might help with this situation? Anything will help, Iím left scratching my head and asking friends to take a look on their off days. Itís a 2003 6i, 2.3L.

I have the pulley and broken bolt still, but it does me no good until I can see whatís going on in there. If you have anything at all you think might help, please share. Iím stranded until I get this thing repaired. Thanks all!
Try using a mirror. Like what those dentist use but longer and only for vehicles. Try harbor freight, I think they sell em because If I remember correctly, that is where I saw em. Or you can grab a bolt from the home depot or any hardware store with the same thread and lenght and try to put the bolt in and see if it goes all the way.
I think youre f****d man, sorry but I bet the bolt is stuck there and there is no other way to remove them but to drill them out. I dont know how you going to do that but to remove the engine, I really hope im wrong.
Youre still lucky though if there is atleast a little bit of bolt peeping out. That way you can just grab a vise grip and really grab on that bolt and twist it out, but make sure the engine is cold first.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Life is like a rock, it's Hard!!! Bwahhahhahha

Last edited by Mazda v6; 09-25-2013 at 05:35 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I believe you may be right on me being SOL. Here are some pictures of the issue:

This is looking down that C shaped shield which the bolt goes into.

http://imgur.com/EOVhqIG

http://imgur.com/YGQNtav,SHusFXD,gxTks6E

It appears the bolt is stock in the well with nothing sticking out. At least from what I can see. It looks like there is about 1 mm of threading and then the body of the bolt is stuck in there, so I have nothing to grab onto. I am hoping maybe I can get a 90 degree drill and a bolt extractor and try that. I have no experience lifting an engine up and I imaging paying someone to do it will wipe out my savings.

Yep.....I'm pretty sure I'm fucked.

**Don't buy from Accolade, srsly**

Last edited by Shifty; 09-25-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
I believe you may be right on me being SOL. Here are some pictures of the issue:

This is looking down that C shaped shield which the bolt goes into.

http://imgur.com/EOVhqIG

http://imgur.com/YGQNtav,SHusFXD,gxTks6E

It appears the bolt is stock in the well with nothing sticking out. At least from what I can see. It looks like there is about 1 mm of threading and then the body of the bolt is stuck in there, so I have nothing to grab onto. I am hoping maybe I can get a 90 degree drill and a bolt extractor and try that. I have no experience lifting an engine up and I imaging paying someone to do it will wipe out my savings.

Yep.....I'm pretty sure I'm fucked.
Dang, im sorry to see that man.
Check around your area and get estimates.
If you decide to do it yourself, make sure you spray a lot of pb blaster on it and leave it overnight, then spray it again. Dont use cheap extractors because they tend to break easy, last thing you need is another hardened steel stuck in that hole. Craftsman has great bolt extractors. And also prepare yourself for a long ass job. A case of beer somehow always make a job easier.
Goodluck man and I hope it works out for you. I dont know you going to do it though on such a tight space.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Life is like a rock, it's Hard!!! Bwahhahhahha
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
bummer -
Get the hanger out of way, grab a dremel rotary tool with a cut off disk and slot the end of the bolt. Make the slot wide enough for a flat head screw driver.

Unless it has FACTORY OEM GREEN Loctite on the threads, chances are it will come right out. Get a new bolt from the Dealer ship and confirm. If it has Loctite, a pencil torch and heat the bolt to release the glue. Obviously try to unscrew it first.

Dremel is cheap. beyond that, drill out with left hand/reverse bit and if that fails, an extractor kit. Good Luck.

2006 Mazda 6s GS Hatchback, Lapis Blue | AJ 3.0 & AW6A-EL 6 Spd, >119,000

__________________________________________________ __________________
V6 repair info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello all,

reach around the back side of where the bolt screws in and you probably have a 1/4 inch of the broken bolt sticking out the back, Use a small pair of pliers or needle nose vise grip pliers and unscrew the bolt out the back side. I have fixed my Mazda 2.3 broken pulley bolt at least 3-4 times already and this has worked for me every time.
ChrisHas6 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know where to find a
timing belt (chain) cover
Tensioner pulley (mounts to outside of cover)
Bolt and spacer
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randysf16 View Post
reach around the back side of where the bolt screws in and you probably have a 1/4 inch of the broken bolt sticking out the back, Use a small pair of pliers or needle nose vise grip pliers and unscrew the bolt out the back side. I have fixed my Mazda 2.3 broken pulley bolt at least 3-4 times already and this has worked for me every time.
Hello randysf16. I am having a similar problem as the original person who posted.

I know this feed is very outdated but could use help finding out how to actually get a pair of pliers behind that u-shaped space in order to unscrew the bolt that is stuck.

If you can provide any advice it would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page