post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuel smell

I know its more then likely posted on here before but I have a 2004 6s 3.0L that is giving off a fuel odor when parked and at stops, and recently the mpg went down alot. The odor proplem has been there for awhile but is getting worse but the mpg just started. I had the car in my garage last night to find this leak, I'll tell you what I did.
1. pulled the rear seat to check the pump, no leak
2. checked the lines under the car , no leak
3. pulled the air box and checked the connection from the gas line to fuel rail while running no leak
4. checked the pressure regulator no leak externally or internallly
5. removed upper intake check injectors, no leak
I noticed a strong smell of fuel in the intake. The ports had some gas in them but maybe it was running rich due to haveing the MAF disconnected. I have no engine codes the only things I can think of is the evap canister ( was unable to find it) or a leaking injector( i have no way of testing that since it is a returnless system). Does anyone where Im losing this gas at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Learners License

Garage
Last winter I had the same issue. I would remote start my 6 and after it ran for a few minutes I would get in and smell fuel. It wasn't extremely strong, but it was very evident. Turns out my spark plugs weren't torqued down tight enough, and I was getting some blowback...not good. I found this out when I blew 2 plugs out of the cylinders and stripped the threads. When they were helicoiled and reinstalled late last winter, I haven't had the same issue since.

2006 Mazda6 S Grand Sport
5-speed manual ǀ heated leather ǀ Bose sound w/ subwoofer pre-amp ǀ Bluetooth aux in ǀ Viper remote start ǀ sharkfin antenna ǀ HIDs ǀ 3500K Xenonmatch fogs ǀ LED city and license plate lights ǀ LED interior accent lighting ǀ MX-5 shift knob ǀ gutted airbox ǀ TB ground ǀ AWR 70 duro engine and transmission mounts ǀ Exedy clutch and Fidanza lightweight flywheel ǀ Michelin Primacy MXM4 225/45R18
2005 Lexus RX330 AWD
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have this issue too with my 2003. It only smells like gas when it has a full tank though. One time after I had just filled my tank, I let it sit over night and when i came back in the morning it had leaked about an 1/8 of a tank of gas on the ground. It has never done it sense, so I'm not sure if it was just pressure buildup from being cold outside and haveing a full tank, and gas just got pushed out the overflow or what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMD66 View Post
I have this issue too with my 2003. It only smells like gas when it has a full tank though. One time after I had just filled my tank, I let it sit over night and when i came back in the morning it had leaked about an 1/8 of a tank of gas on the ground. It has never done it sense, so I'm not sure if it was just pressure buildup from being cold outside and haveing a full tank, and gas just got pushed out the overflow or what happened.
If it's cold outside, the volume of the liquid would decrease. If there was an overflow, it would have had to happen on a really hot day. Temperature and Volume are proportional (increase temp, increase volume).

Anyway, I believe it is normal to have a slight fuel smell when starting the engine, as it goes full rich mixture and then adjusts as the engine warms up. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

2006 6s 5-dr gray, AEM SRI- Magnaflow exhaust- Kazera KZ-D 18x7.5- Bilstein shocks/HR springs- AWR endlinks- Stoptech rotors, Hawk brake pads- Neo chrome vanadium lug nuts- AGM battery- Blue: calipers; interior LED lights; footwell lighting; LED ribbon trunk lights; instrument cluster gauge- Stubby antenna- Titanium Burl wood panels- NGX Platinum plugs- Tein hood damper- Greddy air diversion plate
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just solved this on my car. When running, the top of the engine would smell like gas, and the passenger compartment would also smell like gas - very annoying!

Solution: tighten the spark plugs! Apparently, they seem to work loose sometimes, and let some gas/air mixture past them. Also seems to burn up the coil packs too as a result. It was an unexpected solution for sure, but it was definitely it for me!
cumminbr likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NanoZ For This Useful Post:
cumminbr (06-03-2018), LeadSled (10-21-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Learners License

Garage
Thanks NanoZ, this was exactly my problem and now no more gasoline smell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in