Oil Change Frequency - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 15
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Send a message via AIM to triplejumper18
QUOTE (posttosh @ Sep 4 2009, 09:03 AM)
Quote:
Mazda specifies 5W-20. If the dealer violated Mazda's recommendation, that should be a red flag and a warning siren that the dealer may be cutting corners elsewhere. If we were you, we would not visit that dealer again. You will want to find a good non-dealer mechanic for post-warranty maintenance and repairs, anyway; as long as you are following Mazda's maintenance schedule and can document it, your warranty will remain valid. So why not use an "outside" mechanic now? Save the dealer for free recall work, and establish a relationship now with an ASE-certified mechanic who wants and needs your business and will follow your instructions for what goes into your car (we have our ASE-certified mechanic put only Schaeffer lubricants and fluids into our Mazda6; no dealer would be that scrupulous). Then you can feel secure that somebody who cares will have maintained your car.[/b]
Autotown Mazda here in Portland puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:46 AM)
Quote:
Autotown Mazda here in Portland[/b]
That's:
  • Used-to-be Premier Mazda?
  • Before that, used-to-be Scott Thomason Mazda?
  • What before that?
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:46 AM)
Quote:
. . . puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.[/b]
We take our Mazda6 to heartwarmingly politically active Tom Dwyer Automotive at the east end of the Sellwood Bridge. Great shop, with fair prices, and closer than Gladstone.

We find Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-20, which Tom Dwyer Automotive puts in for us, and less pricey than Supreme 9000, perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, more than satisfactory, the best motor oil we ever have encountered. We go a tad higher-end on the filter: K&N HP-2010. Why do you use 5W-40? That seems a bit heavy for our climate.

Tom Dwyer also has fitted new brake rotors and pads that we have supplied. We find it amusing that the shop has a disclaimer on the service order that it will not be responsible for noise from the PBR ULT pads that we supply. PBR ULTs are completely silent; the rap on ULTs is that they dust like crazy, not that they make noise.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (Trippp @ Sep 4 2009, 07:21 AM)
Quote:
I had my first oil change @ 5K. Sent the oil in for analysis to Blackstone Labs. The results were good / as expected. Some traces of expected contaminants from engine break in, but not fuel, coolant, or oil traces, otherwise the oil was still in good shape. Still active additives in the oil and they estimated it could have gone for another 1.5K miles. I'll stick with 5K unless analysis says something different.[/b]
How did you get the old oil? Did you draw some out before bringing it to the dealer? or Did the dealer give you a sample?

I was thinking about doing the Blackstone thing on the next oil change.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 AM

QUOTE (posttosh @ Sep 4 2009, 06:36 PM)
Quote:
That's:
  • Used-to-be Premier Mazda?
  • Before that, used-to-be Scott Thomason Mazda?
  • What before that?
We take our Mazda6 to heartwarmingly politically active Tom Dwyer Automotive at the east end of the Sellwood Bridge. Great shop, with fair prices, and closer than Gladstone.

We find Schaeffer Supreme 7000 5W-20, which Tom Dwyer Automotive puts in for us, and less pricey than Supreme 9000, perfectly satisfactory -- in fact, more than satisfactory, the best motor oil we ever have encountered. We go a tad higher-end on the filter: K&N HP-2010. Why do you use 5W-40? That seems a bit heavy for our climate.

Tom Dwyer also has fitted new brake rotors and pads that we have supplied. We find it amusing that the shop has a disclaimer on the service order that it will not be responsible for noise from the PBR ULT pads that we supply. PBR ULTs are completely silent; the rap on ULTs is that they dust like crazy, not that they make noise. [/b]
I believe Premier traded the Mazda franchise for a Hyundai franchise. They will do pretty much any work I need done and are excellent.

I have a MS6 which requires 5w-30, but I run 5w-40 for two reasons:
1) DISI engines tend to shear oil weight down and even if Schaeffers 5w-30 resists that, it's better to be safe than sorry.
2) Mazda currently recommends 5w-40 for the MS6 to help prevent oil from leaking past the turbo seals.

K&N does not make an oil filter for the MS6. Amsoil does not make one either, but recommends Wix for the MS6 oil filter. The MS6 does not use a spin-on filter like the V6 does and I do not want to do the spin-on conversion.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 09:46 AM)
Quote:
Autotown Mazda here in Portland puts in my Schaeffers Supreme 9000 5w-40 and Wix filter for $11. No hassles or issues. Also, they do $85/hr for both Mazdaspeed certified techs and give you a nice loaner. Pretty reasonable for a dealership.[/b]
Reasonable?! Even in northern NJ the standard rate is slightly below that and that is one of the most expensive regions in the country for pretty much everything. My Mazda dealer charges $75/hr. Dealerships very rarely have the best mechanics yet very frequently have the highest prices.

2009 Mazda6 i GT w/ moonroof/BOSE (15% Llumar tint all around; front/rear splash guards)
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Ach3r0n @ Sep 4 2009, 10:47 PM)
Quote:
Reasonable?! Even in northern NJ the standard rate is slightly below that and that is one of the most expensive regions in the country for pretty much everything. My Mazda dealer charges $75/hr. Dealerships very rarely have the best mechanics yet very frequently have the highest prices.[/b]
Maybe the dealers suck where you are at, but Autotown and Tonkin here have excellent service departments. Auto shop rates here in Portland are kind of spendy. Also, at this point in time, the only places I trust to work on my MS6 engine are Autotown Mazda, Tonkin Mazda, and Surgeline Tuning. Fairly generic shit such as brakes can be done elsewhere.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kubetsu
It's the same way over here in Colorado Springs, The dealership has some of the best service and are actually cheaper then taking it to local mechanics.

QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 5 2009, 12:29 AM)
Quote:
Maybe the dealers suck where you are at, but Autotown and Tonkin here have excellent service departments. Auto shop rates here in Portland are kind of spendy. Also, at this point in time, the only places I trust to work on my MS6 engine are Autotown Mazda, Tonkin Mazda, and Surgeline Tuning. Fairly generic shit such as brakes can be done elsewhere.[/b]

Colorado Springs, Co - 2004 Mazda 6S 3.0L
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
QUOTE (Tom Z @ Sep 4 2009, 10:22 PM)
Quote:
How did you get the old oil? Did you draw some out before bringing it to the dealer? or Did the dealer give you a sample?

I was thinking about doing the Blackstone thing on the next oil change.[/b]
Call or email Blackstone. They'll send you free containers. At my oil change, I handed the container to the service advisor and he gave it to the Tech. The Tech too the sample when he grained the oil, cleaned it up and set it in the cup holder.

'18 Machine Gray GT Reserve
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
QUOTE (triplejumper18 @ Sep 4 2009, 10:27 PM)
Quote:
I have a MS6 which requires 5w-30, but I run 5w-40

K&N does not make an oil filter for the MS6.[/b]
That explains a lot. I'll never understand why none of the 4-cylinder Mazda engines accepts a spin-on filter, long after the rest of the world has made spin-ons the standard (but the rest of the world does not understand why I refuse to use Microsoft products, so I guess it's a stand-off).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page