APEXI Engine Grounding System - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I installed the Apexi engine grounding kit. It was actually bought by a fellow club member (Mazda6sMtx) for installation into his car. However, after struggling with the install for a while (none of the cables were long enough to reach the right locations), he quite disappointingly gave me his kit and suggested we try installing it in my car instead. He has the V6 engine and I have the I4. After the installation, which was a success in my car, he let me keep the kit. Paul, you're such a nice guy .

The kit itself is the following one: http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_electroni...d=224&pageNum=1

Now, before I continue the review, I'd like to point everyone to a post I recently made over in the 2.3-I4 section: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...ndpost&p=510265

Essentially, at a particular spot in the 1000 to 3000 range, my engine would feel quite sluggish... as if there wasn't enough air or fuel getting through to the engine. The whole thing manifested itself as a "hesitation" or sluggishness at a particular point in the above-mentioned range. I did the airbox mod, which seemed initially to have improved the issue. However, recently, the issue started re-appearing even with the airbox gutted (after a trip to a local dealer). Above 3500, however, the engine felt alive and well. This particular characteristic was present pretty much since the first day I had the car.

I need to also admit that, before the installation, I was a total skeptic when it came to engine grounding. I had read the numerous posts on this forum on how grounding the TB was pretty much just a placebo. I approached the grounding kit with the same belief but I figured, heck, there's no harm in installing it... its not going to damage anything by being there... and if it turns out that it actually improves performance, then fine and well.

So, the kit was installed... and I instantly felt a complete difference in engine character. The engine was extremely responsive, right from 1000 rpms all the way up through to 3000 and beyond. No more hiccups, hestitation, or sluggishness throughout this range. I drove around yesterday, after the install, and part of today in total amazement that my engine feels so much improved just due to the presence of a few extra wires. With this kit in place, the car seems to pull stronger and power seems to be available more readily.

Now, the kit isn't just a grounding kit. It includes a system that evens out voltage spikes and provides a constant voltage to all parts of the engine. Also, according to Mazda6sMtx, he read somewhere that this particular kit was installed on a Mazda3 (presumably the one with the 2.3 engine) and it was dynoed before and after the installation. There was a net gain of almost 10hp to the wheels.

Anyways... just wanted to report my findings and see what the more knowledgeable people on this forum have to say.

Pics:

The control box. As you can see, there are 3 grounding wires coming out of the box. A 4th wire goes to the +ve terminal of the battery and a 5th wire is grounded to the body.

Closer view of the box, showing the red LED that continuously glows.

Grounding wire #1 disappears under the cover and attaches to a bolt on the valve cover on the right side of the engine.

Grounding wire #2 disappears under the cover and attaches to a bolt on the valve cover on the left side of the engine.

Grounding wire #3 is routed along the front of the engine bay, and around to the engine mount.

VANCOUVER MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR
2004 Mazda6 GT Hatch I4 MTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 09:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to CLTatenza
Do you have any pics of the kit installed?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to arch4life
any gain of 10hp or less is within the error range of most dynos. so that isnt really a good comparison, but if the engine does feel peppier, or more responsive, then it sounds good! too bad i have the v6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Ksport - CP-E - Racing Beat - Hankook - Schroth - Hawk -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:00 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Sooooo this is better than saving money and buying high gauge wires and connecting them youeself to certain points??

Lang Lebe Deutschland!
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Btw either the nasioc or the evo guys bought one of those kits and opened up the box. Its just a capacitor inside, nothing fancy.

If there is a grounding issue with a vehicle, grounding kits will show a rather noticable difference in performance. If there isn't a problem, the differences are generally not noticable, but most reviews do show some level of gain.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to airpower220
Holy crap $160+!!!!! It sounds great...but I don't know if I can justify that much for a grounding system. What makes it any much more different from Here

Yes, I really get paid to fly for the Air Force (80FTW Sheppard AFB, TX - Tweet Driver)</span></span>
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to airpower220
(I take so fricken long to post there are 5 new posts! before I hit add reply!) So now with this new information...should we all just get some grounding wires and ground out 6?

Yes, I really get paid to fly for the Air Force (80FTW Sheppard AFB, TX - Tweet Driver)</span></span>
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:25 PM

No the idea of grounding the 6 has been around for a long time. Grounding the throttle body is the most popular.

Lang Lebe Deutschland!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave him this kit because it simply didn&#39;t fit anywhere under the hood with a stock V6. I&#39;ll try and find the Mazda3 article.

EDIT: I found the article and it was the Buddy Club kit, though the Apex-i one is almost the same.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=28396.0

CANADA / TORONTO MAZDA6CLUB MODERATOR Current Dyno - 205whp, 180wtq
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to OrphanBoy
Hmm...$160+ is pretty steep, but you didn&#39;t need to crimp or solder anything so that saves a lot of trouble. I have the V6 so it&#39;s not a fair comparison, but I didn&#39;t notice that big of a difference. I just bought about 11 feet of 8-gauge wires, some ring connectors, and some heat shrink and hooked it all up for $70 CDN (following [iG]&#39;s how-to on clubatenza forums). Though it&#39;s been so long that I probably don&#39;t notice the effects anymore, but I know it did something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page