changing oil at 1000 mi? - Page 3 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
A older friend of mine is a salesman has over 350,000 miles on his volvo (Never been in the shop for a major repair), so i asked him about oil changes and such. He told me changing your oil any earlier than every 10,000 miles is a complete rip-off. Granted using really good oil is essential but changing it so often is not. He told me one of his co-workers has 275,000 on his accord and has never changed his oil, only the filter. So I dont know why you would need an oil change in 1,000 miles

2004 Suzuki Forenza S MTX (Titanium Silver)(Retired) - Motegi 17" Wheels, Boston Acoustics Speaker System with 2 12" Alpine Type-R Subwoofers
2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT ATX (Mayan Gold)(Retired)- K & N Air Filter, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Protherius@Sep 19 2004, 09:58 PM
A older friend of mine is a salesman has over 350,000 miles on his volvo (Never been in the shop for a major repair), so i asked him about oil changes and such. He told me changing your oil any earlier than every 10,000 miles is a complete rip-off. Granted using really good oil is essential but changing it so often is not. He told me one of his co-workers has 275,000 on his accord and has never changed his oil, only the filter. So I dont know why you would need an oil change in 1,000 miles
[snapback]305226[/snapback]
To have an early oil change means you are getting rid of the motor oil that has bits of metal in them when your engine was breaking in!

You can push it by not changing the oil (or tune ups) but that doesn't mean it's healthy for your car's engine. By the same token, the performance of the engine will decrease and gas per mile will drop.

I'm a nobody...and nobody's perfect...so I'm PERFECT!

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

2004 6s MTX - glacier silver - NOT enough mods done yet!
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Protherius@Sep 19 2004, 09:58 PM
To have an early oil change means you are getting ride of the oil that contains bits of metal when your engine breaks in.

No to change oil for a prolonged period means you're pushing your engine's limit which will result in reduced performance and will burn more gas.

I'm a nobody...and nobody's perfect...so I'm PERFECT!

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

2004 6s MTX - glacier silver - NOT enough mods done yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:59 PM

so how long does the "break in" period last?

2004 Suzuki Forenza S MTX (Titanium Silver)(Retired) - Motegi 17" Wheels, Boston Acoustics Speaker System with 2 12" Alpine Type-R Subwoofers
2002 Pontiac Sunfire GT ATX (Mayan Gold)(Retired)- K & N Air Filter, Stock
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Flip2dalimit

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Have any of you guys changed your cartridge filter to a spin-on filter like they have on Mazda6tech.com? I want to do that but the dealership says that they don't the parts or are they just saying that?

Help Me Out!
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to pisadong
Quote:
Originally posted by Protherius@Sep 19 2004, 07:58 PM
Have you seen the actual car? While many enthusiasts go overboard with oil changes, I can safely say that 275K miles is a lot much. The only way that this car could still be running is if it used quite a bit of oil since new and has required a good amount of top-up oil on a regular basis. The new oil would replenish the additives in the exisiting oil and keep it in servicable condition. Having said that I'm sure that there would be an awe inspiring amount of sludge in that motor and if it indeed still runs, it can't be very well.

The oil change interval that you should is highly dependant on the car you drive and how you drive it. Some engines are just harder on the oil than others. Due in part to the presence of VII's (viscocity index improvers) almost all oils will shear down with use. A byproduct of this is the formation of sludge. Some engines will go 10K miles before it is a problem, some will go as little 2K miles. If an engine has a poor ring seal, many of the acidic combustion byproducts will make their way into the oil. Oils contain additives to neutralize these acids, but there is only so much to go around. Once they are depleted, the oil becomes increasingly acidic and attacks various parts of the engine.

Driving style also has a huge influence. If you are always at high rpms and WOT you will have more shear and fuel dilution. This thins out the oil and will lead to increased wear. If you only drive short trip this will also increase fuel dilution. If you live in a cold climate it's also tougher on your engine and it's oil.

In short the only way of knowing for sure is to perform a UOA (used oil analysis). This will tell you if your oil change interval is right for your engine/driving conditions/driving style. It may be 10K miles, or even longer with some oils, or it may be dramatically shorter. Regardless, as long as the car is under warranty you should change the oil at least every 7500 miles. If you don't and you experience as engine problem you could be denied coverage.

Oh, if you run your oil too long a couple of times, you car will not blow up. A little more wear will occur but it won't be the end of the world. Just be sure to stay on top of it to give your car the best possible chance to provide you with long and reliable service.

post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to pisadong
The stated break-in period is either 800 or 1000 miles... can't remember for sure. An engine will can still easily be breaking in for 20-30K miles, ie: some motors will take that number of miles before their wear patterns stabilize.

Re: changing your oil at 1000 miles. You don't have to and it won't cause you car a great deal of harm if you don't. Having said that, refer to one of Crossbow's posts on page 1 of this thread for 2 UOA's that illustrate wear metal present in the factory fill oil at 1000 miles, versus oil that was in use for about 7500 miles in a car with 30K miles on it (my car). The results speak for themselves. The wear metals are iron, aluminum, lead, copper, tin and chromium. Silicon is also concern as it can be dirt. The others are additives in the oil and are of no concern from a wear standpoint.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-01-2004, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Mazda Gremlyn Send a message via MSN to Mazda Gremlyn
Quote:
Originally posted by Flip2dalimit@Sep 26 2004, 01:44 PM
Have any of you guys changed your cartridge filter to a spin-on filter like they have on Mazda6tech.com?* I want to do that but the dealership says that they don't the parts or are they just saying that?
Help Me Out!
[snapback]307817[/snapback]
You'll find they don't do it because its not supposed to be done... If you do it to your car they could (though they should not) go as far as to say you don't get warranty work done because of it, but thats BS

2004 Mazda6s MTX: Gone...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Replaced with a 2011 WRX Hatch!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1988 323 GTX: Need to finish re-rebuilding the engine...
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Learners License

I just picked up my new 6 and I asked the dealer about the 1000 mile oil change after reading this thread and they told me that mazda will run/test the engine with oil, flush it out and put new "clean" oil" before it gets shipped out so no need to change it at 1000 miles.

Does this sound reasonable?

Build date of my 6 was 8/04 so i know it wasn't sitting in the lot for a long time.

Either way, I think I am gonna change it at 1000 miles.

post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-02-2004, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Why Your Dealer is a DumbAss and You Should Never Believe a Single Thing They Say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page