Mazda 6 Forums banner

Jaguar 3.0L vs Mazda 3.0L

6K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Xman 
#1 ·
Any in this community know what elements of the Jaguar 3.0L Duratec give it the increased power over the Mazda6S Duratec?

#2 ·
Replying to Topic 'Jaguar 3.0L vs Mazda 3.0L'

Well, the X-Type is rated at 7 greater and the S-Type at 15 greater. First off, both have greater compression ratios of 10.5:1 compared to our 10:1. The horsepower difference is so small it could be due to any number of little things, but most likely it's just the breathing - intake/exhaust - in addition to the CR increase.

#5 ·
Reading Topic: Jaguar 3.0L vs Mazda 3.0L

mmarfan - the part about it doesn't make any sense that the Mazda should make any more power over the Jag is not entirely true. Consider that the Licoln LS V-6 makes 232 hp 5 more than the x-tpye yet the Jag costs more, is more prestegious yet offers less from the perspective of performance. It really depends where the OEM places the priority. Mazda did a far more better job of taking a humble duratec engine and breathing a soul into the vehicle for the driving enthusiast and offers better performance than the x-type. Did I mention that Mazda did this for less money (roughly $10K less). Mazda is focused and appears to have found their way back to their nieche. Jaguar is stilll floundering around trying to determine what they are going to be while in the meantime they keep on turning out compromised products that cannot stand on their own two feet with their competion. Even Volvo produces much more gratifying performance vehicles than Jaguar for less money. The S60R base MSRP starts at $36K and offers AWD, 300hp, 6-speed manual, and unparalled levels of safety. A Jag x-type for more money can't event touch it.

#7 ·

The Lincoln and Jag 3.0s both use a 3-stage intake manifold, ours is a 2-stage. The valves on the L&J 3.0 are also different sized than ours, we have the same sized valves as past 3.0s.

#8 ·

yep, I raced one of those. Beat it too:p

#11 ·

Originally posted by mmarfan

Not to mention increased timing, so you gotta run 91+ octain. The heads are designed different too. Plus it wouln't make scense for the Mazda car to outrun the Jag would it :p You could probably get the same amount of HP the Jag has with some simple mods.
I own both cars. The 6s DOES outrun the Jag 3.0. Not by much. But with both cars stock, the 6 is the winner.

#12 ·

Yep,

According to Car and Driver, the V6 manual will outrun the Jag 3.0 manual at any speed.
C&D:

M6 0-60 mph:6.8
Jag 3.0 AWD: 7.1
Lexus IS300:7.3
BMW 325i: 7.0
BMW 330i Sports Package: 6.4
BMW 330i Performance Package: 5.9
Acura TL: 5.9
A4 3.0: 7.5

#14 ·

I am not surprised at all that the A4 is the slowest. Those things arent quick at all. Also the Acura TL is not a manual, I think it is a manual-matic type of a tranny, but not a manual.

#15 ·

All those AWD cars are porkers thats why. If they make an M6 AWD, we're looking at 3400lbs or more. It'll be a porker too and they'll need to bump the HP to make it competitive.

#16 ·

Are we V6ers going to have an Intake-Manifold upgrade? is that even worth an aftermarket company making?

I thought the 240HP Honda Accord V6 got most of its bumped up power(from ~200HP) due to it's "racing inspired" intake manifold. Its essentially the same V6 they had been using though, from everything I read.

#17 ·

Originally posted by Blue Mazda

I am not surprised at all that the A4 is the slowest.  Those things arent quick at all.  Also the Acura TL is not a manual, I think it is a manual-matic type of a tranny, but not a manual.  
Unless it's an '04 TL which is available with a 6 speed MT.

#18 ·
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Jaguar 3.0L vs Mazda 3.0L

I have got to belive that Mazda will do something to bump the HP for the 2005 model year. Honda did great things with that V6 of theirs....

#19 ·

Originally posted by TomServo92

I am not surprised at all that the A4 is the slowest.  Those things arent quick at all.  Also the Acura TL is not a manual, I think it is a manual-matic type of a tranny, but not a manual.  
I had thought those test numbers were for the auto as the 6 speed has not been tested as of yet.

#20 ·

I have got to belive that Mazda will do something to bump the HP for the 2005 model year.  Honda did great things with that V6 of theirs....
I believe they will too...so many people give into the peak hp rating at the crankshaft rather than the wheels.

thats the real reason why there is so much restriction built it...just design a more free flowing airbox/resonator and volia another 5HP.

also, they can always bore out the cylinders just like Nissan

#21 ·
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Jaguar 3.0L vs Mazda 3.0L

I am not sure that they would bore it out bigger than 3.0 Ltr. as Ford is to produce a 3.5 Ltr engine that I would not be shocked if it made its way into the 6 at some point after 2006 when Ford launches the engine in its own cars. Perhaps 2007-2008? I think they might try something along the lines of timing advance and or better flowing exhaust and intake. That would be nice.

#22 ·

Originally posted by TomServo92

I had thought those test numbers were for the auto as the 6 speed has not been tested as of yet.
All the cars listed are MT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.