post #11 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to g-cubed Send a message via MSN to g-cubed
Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

I also vote for a sticky, some of us are freaks enough to actually do these UOA's and for anyone still wondering what oil works best, it is good knowledge to have

Lapis Blue 6s MTX
Sport, Sport Grill, RB Springs, Injen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:05 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can understand that a 0w-20 full syn would be better than a 5w-30 conventional oil or blend, but if we compare 0w-20 to 0w-30 full syn would'nt the 30 wt provide better protection? If anything it would'nt hurt. The 0 w part is for start up and the 30 if for operating temps right? When I used to autocross I used 20w-50 conventional. All the track BMWs at the shop where I worked got 20w-50 Red Line syn. I am using 0w-30 Mobil 1 full syn in the 6s. Autocross cars are under much higher stress and run at much higher rpms than street cars and need a higher viscosity oil. Thats just what I have always heard and done.
post #13 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Slush,

Higher weight doesn't necessarily mean better protection.

Usually the heavier weight oils come from cruder stock. (Aka the oil isn't very high quality). The 20 wt's HAVE to come from a very high quality stock to meet Ford's spec.

The most interesting point someone had on bobistheoilguy.com, is the heavier oil's usually shear down to 20wt's anyway...the difference is the 20wt's maintain their weight consistently.

The argument for 20wt's now seems to do with engine tolerances and clearances.

What once worked fine for a old muscle car V8 is too thick for today's engines.

Some of the clearances in a modern engine get down to the micron's in size...the thicker the oil, the less chance it'll be able to lubricate those areas.

The 20 wt's on the other hand, fit right in with little problem.

So far I've done a UOA with autox runs, and it turned out better then the 30wt without autox runs.

I've got a sample right now of 0w-20 with over 35+ autox runs on it, which will definitely answer if the oil is protecting above and beyond. If this sample comes back fine, I see no reason to use any heavier oil then 0w-20 in this engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to pisadong
Replying to Topic 'Mazda6 UOA's'

I'm using Castrol Syntec 0w30 (German PAO version), and I'll be doing an UOA on it in about a month, so maybe we'll see if thicker is better. My gut says so, but all the UOA I've seen on the 20 wt oils do look very impressive. I think that Crossbow and I have similar mileage on our cars, with the primary difference being the oils we used.

I don't totally agree with the statement that heavier oils come from lesser base stocks, particularly when we are primarily talking about full synthetic oils. This is partially true for dino 20 wt. oils, as they will inheretly have less film strength, so to meet the protection requirements set by Ford, Honda and other mfg. that spec 20 wts. most oil manufactures have formulated their 20 wts. with better base stocks. Most often this has come with the addition of some Group III pseudo-synthetics. Ever notice that most 20 wt. cost more than the 5w30, 10w30 and the like in the same line? That's because the base oils blend is better. This allows the 20 wts to give a similar amount of protection even though they don't have the same film strength. I don't think that there is any difference is the quality of the base stocks when we are comparing one true synthetic to another (Mobil 1 vs. German Castrol, vs. Amsoil etc...) At that point, if 20 wts give better wear numbers it will be because our engines are truely set up to run that light of an oil.

BTW, Mobil 1 0w30 has been proven to be a turd on Bobistheoilguy.com. Amazingly enough there seem to be signifigant differences in formulation between the different weights of M1. Most there have agreed that the 0w30 is probably the worst of the bunch, so in this case, I'd think you'd do better to run the 0w20 if you want to stick with M1.
post #15 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey pisa,

I'll respond when I better understand what I'm talking about :).

Btw, mailed the second 0w-20 UOA today. Will report as soon as I get the results.

post #16 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'll get one of these done too. I switched to the mobil1 and new motorcraft filter after 1000 miles. I'll probably change the oil again at 4000, then probably start going every 4000 inbetween changes. I just remember getting the original green dyed oil on my hands and it feeling somewhat gritty, probably machining dust from breaking in.

I have not auto-x or anything like that, just 2 trips to NJ and back where the V6 is constantly working for 60+270 miles(~5 hours) for the trip to and 270+60 miles return. I make one stop before I get on I-80. The rest of the miles are just driving around town, stop and go to work, occasionally WOTing for one reason or another(FUN!). I want to see what wear and tear my driving habits have on the engine.
post #17 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:41 PM

i just ordered my test kit. i wish i still had some oil from my first change so i could see. the differnce. I am now running mobil 1 0-20w syn in my 6i. i do mostly city driving except for that long trip to So Cal for the meet. i just changed my oil about 600mi ago so it will be a while til i use the kit but will post it when i get the results back.

2006 Pontiac GTO blue w/ blue leather, STS turbo 422RWHP/432RWTQ
SOLD -04 6s MTX 5-Door Lapis Blue
SOLD -03 Silver 6i AT
The One Who Brought You The Sports Lower Fogs
post #18 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Mazda6 UOA's

Here is my second UOA on the 0w-20 Mobil1.

This interval both has my move to the Injen CAI, 35+ Autocrossing runs, and an additional (almost) 1,000 miles over the previous UOA.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/2nduoa.pdf

post #19 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:29 PM

Groans: 1
Send a message via AIM to ashutoshsm Send a message via Yahoo to ashutoshsm

Like ... sweet, dude!

-ashu

Wheels, tires, fluids and roof-mounted bike/ski rack. That's enough mods for me!
post #20 of 169 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 10:32 PM

Groans: 1
Send a message via AIM to ashutoshsm Send a message via Yahoo to ashutoshsm

BUT - shame on you for registering the engine/equipment as Ford. You know better. :(

-ashu

Wheels, tires, fluids and roof-mounted bike/ski rack. That's enough mods for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page