Zeffer's Product Review: CMU Tweaks - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Zeffer
  • 1 Post By flyandi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Zeffer's Product Review: CMU Tweaks

Oooh this is more of the good-good.

Mazda CMU Hacks
All-in-One Tweaks
Index for Infotainment Project

What is it?
Infotainment tweaks are modifications to the code of the little computer smacked onto your dash. Applicable only to 2016 cars, these tweaks allow a user to do a variety of things from change colors, all the way to playing high-res videos on their infotainment screen.

What's nice?
There is a lot of custom functionality offered that can be found above. The starter kit is the AIO tweaks setup, that gives a user everything they need for the good stuff. Custom backgrounds, color, warning removing, speed limit removal, etc. All kinds of cool stuff. All it costs is whatever your local store charges for USB sticks. Everything is constantly under development. This is a huge project constantly being worked on by different people, yet is very easy to use and understand. It allows your 6 to stand out from the rest with very unique details.

What's not nice?
If you screw up, you'll brick your system into a boot loop. Very difficult to recover from, and easily a thousand dollar+ repair. Generally, this only happens with beta and unstable versions of the Mazda platform and unstable versions of the tweaks. Running something like AIO will not give issue. In addition, some of the apps are a little finicky to use. They work, but they're strange. Using the tweaks can kill your navi voice as well. You'll have to turn that off. Development on some apps takes a while, but again, these people do it for free. Android Auto will break your shit. Some people use it safely, but it's just too risky to justify.

Ease of install
It varies. For AIO and basic tweaks, it's a matter of formatting a USB stick, installing, and sticking it in your car and waiting. Not very difficult, and one doesn't have to be software-inclined. Other tweaks will require more coding and language knowledge, but those are generally in development or risky.

Overall, I recommend these tweaks. They're free/cheap, and help make your car "yours," while adding some neat functionality.

Bluewolf likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh I gotta finish my SDK .. too long :\
https://github.com/flyandi/mazda-custom-application-sdk
J1MB3AM likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyandi For This Useful Post:
J1MB3AM (01-03-2017)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
I've seen your posts on the forums over there! Thank you for everything you've contributed to the project.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I also have a couple posts in that forum and added some information about making your car feel more like "yours" as well. You can edit the "coins" in the system by following the same principle as the background swap. You are simply swapping .png files. There is a specific ratio you have to follow in order to get the "coins" to fade in and out properly when highlighting and selecting. I can add the usb script I have for swapping the coins but feel like I should maybe post it with a disclaimer hah. If you want to DIY different coins the ratios are below:

The center three coins have a ratio of 1.267605634... or 1.27 haha. The outside two have a ratio of 1.24. I maintained the overall pixel height and width of the original coins then dropped in the vector images from an android icon website. This can be done with any icon image really so the choices are endless. I've attached what I currently have as my coins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0512161420.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	198050  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
So much win!

At least I have chicken- Leeroy Jenkins

v5.0 and counting
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
So I found the courage to do the mods. Let's see if this video player works, nope. I see it's recommended to remove MP3, so I just pull that thumb driving, leaving the drive with the backup files and a movie file. What could go wrong? Well contained in that backup is the audio files from the car, and since I removed my music, what does the car want to play? "Airbag deployment detected, calling 911." "WHAT?! No, no, no, no, F*^K!! What did I do?!" Scared the piss out of me, but it makes for a funny story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19095627_10155688312303570_5902289728467797388_o.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	205945  

John Palmeri
2017 Mazda 6 i Sport
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf View Post
So I found the courage to do the mods. Let's see if this video player works, nope. I see it's recommended to remove MP3, so I just pull that thumb driving, leaving the drive with the backup files and a movie file. What could go wrong? Well contained in that backup is the audio files from the car, and since I removed my music, what does the car want to play? "Airbag deployment detected, calling 911." "WHAT?! No, no, no, no, F*^K!! What did I do?!" Scared the piss out of me, but it makes for a funny story.
Glad you were able to get it done and get everything working! Yeah, the audio file scare seems to be a common thing. I didn't run into it myself, but that's funny that that went down as it did.

-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page