Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Yellow Fog Lights

I am getting ready to add fog lights to my 2014 AT Jet Black Mica Touring 6. I picked up the stalk already, so now all I have to do it buy the housing/lights. I was on the fence between the OEM Housing w/Morimoto XB LEDs or the Spyder Fog Light Kit. Due to price (~$290 for OEM housings and Morimotos) or (~$100 total for Spyders) I think I have decided on the Spyders. I also like the idea of yellow fog lights for the JDM look, the contrast with the headlights, and the added benefit of the yellow light in the fog. It seems like a waste to put yellow film on the Morimotos. I have some other mods I would like to do, so the money saved would go towards those.

I have a few questions if anybody has any experience in these. Has anybody tried the Lumen brand of fog light kits? CarID has them for ~$40 less than the Spyders. I have seen a lot of mention of the Spyders here, but no mention of the Lumens. I would assume they are on par with the iJDMTOYs that other have bought for the same price. Am I better off just spending the extra money on the Spyders?

Lumen: https://www.carid.com/2014-mazda-6-f...846424022.html
Sypder: https://www.carid.com/2014-mazda-6-f...347127914.html

After I buy one of these, I am also looking to add some yellow bulbs to enhance the yellow color. I am not sure what would be better - some Hella Yellow halogen bulbs or some yellow LED bulbs. Does anybody have experience with either of these? I am assuming the halogen bulbs will throw better but the LED bulbs will be brighter especially in daylight. The LED bulbs have many more reviews and a better rating the the Hellas. This has me leaning towards the LEDs.

Hella H11:

Alla LED H11:

Any insight would be appreciated. I am leaning towards the Spyders with the yellow LED bulbs.

2014 Mazda6 Touring A/T Jet Black Mica

Mods:
Interior/Plate LEDs
Reverse Light LEDs
Low Beam LEDs
Hella Yellow High Beams
Spyder Yellow Fog Light Add + Yellow LEDs
AT Park/Shift Switch Replace
New Windshield
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rear Turn Signal LEDs

Up Next:
Tint: 30% Front - 20% Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:27 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage
The performance of the Morimotos are incredible. Definitely a improvement even my with my GT's HIDs.

I've played with the idea of the yellow film, but it looks so good color matched.

Good luck with your fog light endeavour's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
cvhookem63 likes this.

*2014 M6GT, Maxie G, stock as she can be.
*2009 Mazda 3 Sport - Sold
*1993 Mazda Protégé, Sell Pending*
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I do like the look of the Morimotos, but I decided to go with the Spyders. Found them for $90 total - compared to the ~$290 for the OEM housings and Morimotos. I want to go the yellow route, and it seems like a waste to put yellow film on those nice Morimoto LEDs. Plus a yellow film + yellow bulb will give a deeper yellow color. That being said, I could very well end up with some Morimotos if I can find a deal on them somewhere down the road.

Now the decision is yellow H11 halogen or yellow H11 LED bulbs. They are about the same price, and the reviews on the yellow halogen lights are not great. I am leaning towards the LEDs.

2014 Mazda6 Touring A/T Jet Black Mica

Mods:
Interior/Plate LEDs
Reverse Light LEDs
Low Beam LEDs
Hella Yellow High Beams
Spyder Yellow Fog Light Add + Yellow LEDs
AT Park/Shift Switch Replace
New Windshield

Rear Turn Signal LEDs

Up Next:
Tint: 30% Front - 20% Rear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Modified H9s with yellow film
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	937.4 KB
ID:	228370  

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhookem63 View Post
Now the decision is yellow H11 halogen or yellow H11 LED bulbs. They are about the same price, and the reviews on the yellow halogen lights are not great. I am leaning towards the LEDs.

Either way you go the yellow will cut some of your usable light. Not much at all, but considering that, it will be cheaper and easier to remove film and have white behind it than to have to pull the bulb out.

I also went with with yellow in my OEM Cibie fogs because I was having a hard time color matching them to my HID. :shrug:
They were so pitted I used a transparent spray instead of film. They have halogens installed because the brightest LED I could find did not throw light well in the halogen reflector.

Apologies as this is a 1st gen example in a 3rd gen thread.
DJ Raydiate likes this.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
DonaldC (07-20-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
Either way you go the yellow will cut some of your usable light. Not much at all, but considering that, it will be cheaper and easier to remove film and have white behind it than to have to pull the bulb out.

I also went with with yellow in my OEM Cibie fogs because I was having a hard time color matching them to my HID. :shrug:
They were so pitted I used a transparent spray instead of film. They have halogens installed because the brightest LED I could find did not throw light well in the halogen reflector.

Lighting is lighting by my book lol.

What transparent spray did you use if you don't mind me asking? This could open up a whole new thing to do to personalise ones lighting to taste (within reason of course).

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:34 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Raydiate View Post
Lighting is lighting by my book lol.

What transparent spray did you use if you don't mind me asking? This could open up a whole new thing to do to personalise ones lighting to taste (within reason of course).
Thanks Ray, that's what I was figuring as well.
I used the Krylon series of sprays called Stained Glass. I picked mine up at Kroger and used 3-ish coats. My son has used them on wood to let the grain show through. Cool product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1156e79bf554ab3a2954fe.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	228372   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170624-101956.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	327.4 KB
ID:	228374  
DJ Raydiate likes this.

Mozz-D
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
DJ Raydiate (07-20-2019)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post

Nothing wrong with either Cibie or 1s Gen; wish I could find those for my '03
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Thanks for the share Doc!! I'll have to take a look at those when things settle down here. Another thing that I've see suggested on some lighting forums is the "mix you own spray paint" kits out there. You use clear as a base and add drops of desired color to it to make a candy type paint. Oh speaking of, candy paint is supposed to be translucent as well though i havent tried it yet.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page