Power window issues (no, not the reset problem) - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By patssle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Power window issues (no, not the reset problem)

I've read countless threads and other websites but not finding any solutions that don't involve the reset procedure (which yes I've tried that too). My power windows on my 2006 6 3.0 are operating sporadically. Previously only the driver rear would open (using both power switches). I disconnected the battery and did the reset procedure attempt on every window but only the passenger front window would open . Today now the rear driver decided to start opening too. I haven't been able to open the drivers front window in many months despite attempts to reset and checking the fuse. Many months ago I could open every window except the drivers front.

I'm assuming my next step would be to replace the master switch module on the drivers door - are there electrical components in there that would prevent windows from working even from their own switches? Or any other suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:51 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 784 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,855 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
I'm assuming my next step would be to replace the master switch module on the drivers door - are there electrical components in there that would prevent windows from working even from their own switches? Or any other suggestions to resolve this?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if the master has any effect on the individual switches but my initial guess would be 'no.'

Have you noticed any other sporadic electrical nuances? It could be that a ground or something has come undone/loose and you're getting the odd behavior from that.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
When you say you tried every window, was that from the master switch or from each individual door switch?
Question is, when a window doesn't work from the master switch, does the individual switch work? If yes, then you master switch could be bad, otherwise is a bad connection to whatever feeds the window circuit. I'd start by the fuse box and relays.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
I'm not sure if the master has any effect on the individual switches but my initial guess would be 'no.'

Have you noticed any other sporadic electrical nuances? It could be that a ground or something has come undone/loose and you're getting the odd behavior from that.

No other electrical issues with the car - it's been a great car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1200 View Post
When you say you tried every window, was that from the master switch or from each individual door switch?
Question is, when a window doesn't work from the master switch, does the individual switch work? If yes, then you master switch could be bad, otherwise is a bad connection to whatever feeds the window circuit. I'd start by the fuse box and relays.

I do try from all the individual door switches. I do believe the door switches and master switch are synced - both work or both do not work. Is there more than one fuse that feeds the windows? I only found one but did I miss any others?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Garage
It is not the fuse. Fuses don't come back to life if they are burnt.
Check the connections feeding that fuse/circuit.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Well it ended up being simply stuck windows. Took the door panels off, removed the motor, and gave it a spin. Dropped the window a little by hand, put it back up, reinstalled the motor, and tada it works!

So if anybody finds this thread in the future and you hear clicking from your door when trying to lower your windows...they just might be stuck.
DJ Raydiate likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patssle For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (07-02-2019), dcoulombe (06-28-2019)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
Well it ended up being simply stuck windows. Took the door panels off, removed the motor, and gave it a spin. Dropped the window a little by hand, put it back up, reinstalled the motor, and tada it works!

So if anybody finds this thread in the future and you hear clicking from your door when trying to lower your windows...they just might be stuck.
Congratulations on figuring it out!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 784 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2896 Post(s)
Thanked 4,065 Times in 2,855 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Glad you solved it! Thanks for reporting back

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in