Mazda 6 Forums banner

eBay SD NAV card not reading in 17' Mazda 6 touring

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  crazy_raccoon 
#1 ·
I purchased a brand new SD card that has the 2018 update for my '17 Mazda 6 Touring and it doesn't seem to load up at all when I insert the card. I'm new to this platform so I may have missed something. All I know is;

- It's one of the latest cards from last year (I dont have part number on hand).
- Nothing on the screen happens when I load the SD card. No error messages, zip, notta!
- I followed practically all the plug and play video directions on YouTube and still nothing.
- Even on the NAV screen it still just shows the compass and grid coordinates.
- The SD card is not in the locked position.

I'm not sure if I got a faulty card or if i have to do a firmware update (which I'm still clueless on how). Any suggestions would surely be appreciated from the community. Also, in case the card is bad the seller did message me back about returning it and exchanging if I have to go that route.

#3 ·
If it came from China toss it in the bin.

Get it the proper way from a dealer and you won't have these issues. Before you cry about the price you already knew it was not gonna be cheap to upgrade or you did not do any homework before you bought the car.

Ebay is a royal shithole as of late, most likely you got taken.

#5 ·
If it came from China toss it in the bin.

Get it the proper way from a dealer and you won't have these issues. Before you cry about the price you already knew it was not gonna be cheap to upgrade or you did not do any homework before you bought the car.

Ebay is a royal shithole as of late, most likely you got taken.
It's not so bad really. The seller was real quick in helping solve the issue. I plan on sending it back and if this one fails too then I'll just get a refund. A few of my buddies in the past never had issues with their eBay NAV cars for the Mazda 6 or CX-5s they've owned. It didn't hurt because I only payed $50 for the card and the seller already sent me a free return label.

#4 ·
With Ebay, need to be careful who the seller is, is all, there are a few legitimate dealers selling cards without Markup, so read seller profile carefully too, another possibility is that instead of a US spec card, they snuck in one that was meant for another region.

Another route to take: If dealer kept your firmware updated (70.00.21 and above) consider installing the Android Auto/Apple Car Play retrofit kit instead. NNG will want $186 for a new 3 year subscription vs most places charging $150ish for the kit, (dealer wants a hefty labor fee of ~$350ish).

OR, if you're comfortable with DIY'ing it all, there's detailed instructions on what to do at the Mazda3 Revolution forum. (Firmware update procedure included)

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...o-all-here-now-232.html#/topics/230249?page=1

Read the first three pages thoroughly before you decide to take this path.

#8 ·
So I just got my replacement card from the same seller and that too does not load up. I'm not sure if it's because the card has 2018/2019 maps and possibly might require new firmware or something? My firmware is currently this on the vehicle;

OS Version 59.00.441 NA N
Music Database Version 00.07.000
Fail-Safe Version 59.00.441

The card I recieved is;

NA
BHP1 66 EZ1J

Is anyone or has anyone ever had this problem with the SD NAV cards for our vehicles? It seems odd that this plug n play navigation is not working. I just can't possibly think of anything that could keep the card from loading unless of course the card itself is bad. Do I have to upload maps or something because my interpretation is that it's already loaded onto the card and all you have to do is plug it in.

#10 ·
At least read over how you'd update it yourself and concider it. It's really easy with the only risks being:

1) There are two files and you have to make sure you install them in the right order (not hard as long as you're paying attention lol)

2) There is a period of about 30 to 40 minutes that you can't shut your car orr but the engine won't be on, so if your battery is old you'd need to charge is before/after or possibly even replace it

I'm not sure how much the dealer charges for an update but I'm positive it's at the bare minimum $100 and not something I'd ever want to pay.

#12 ·
Thanks guys. I'll take it up to consideration on upgrading myself but my vehicle is used and passed the 3 year/36K but I did purchase additional CPO because it's a used vehicle. I figure why the hell not and my screen was scratched up from the previous owner (used papertowls and windex) and the anti glare coating is coming off. The service manager looked up info on my vehicle and compared to my warranty and said it's covered so they are replacing the whole screen for free and mentioned something about the update wasn't done by the previous owner so I might get a free upgrade? They did quote me $112 for the firmware upgrade though if that's the case and they were not sure if the CMU was bad so they have to replace that free of charge as well. I didn't mention abou the eBay purchase of the NAV card so I'll wait until they update and replace my infotainment first.

Also it'll take awhile because the dealer in my town is closing up shop (makes more money here than at one of the other locations). So now I have to drive 40 minutes to the other franchised owned Mazda dealer or go to other one that's 20 minutes away but certain warranty coverage is not offered there because it's owned by a different franchise.

#13 ·
Speaking of firmware..... I just remembered something, it used to be that it required driving 100km(~65Miles) before the Nav card would be VIN locked, that was changed with version 59.00.502, since then any Nav card inserted into a CMU running that version and higher would become immediately VIN locked.

My personal running theory is that the seller is unaware of that fact and might have inadvertently locked new stock they received.

The Nav update provided by NNG via the Mazda Toolbox will cost $186 for three years, or $75 per year, and map data is only updated at 6ish month intervals, which brought up the Android Auto/CarPlay retrofit, maps will come free courtesy of Google/Apple and the kit with DIY installation is cheaper than a new 3 year sub.

#14 ·
Speaking of firmware..... I just remembered something, it used to be that it required driving 100km(~65Miles) before the Nav card would be VIN locked, that was changed with version 59.00.502, since then any Nav card inserted into a CMU running that version and higher would become immediately VIN locked.

My personal running theory is that the seller is unaware of that fact and might have inadvertently locked new stock they received.
What do you mean by inadvertently locked?

#16 ·
Yea, if they weren't aware of this change in behavior, they could be sticking the cards into a vehicle running the newer firmware to make sure they work, which would the result in the SD card files becoming locked to that car's unique VIN so that it won't work in any other car.

I'd hope they would have realized this by now as nearly every card they sell would have this issue.

#17 ·
Okay that makes absolutely sense. The seller said I'm the first person to have this issue but is willing to let me return for a refund within the next 30 days. The service tech called me today for an appointment and said everything is covered in my warranty to replace the screen and the CMU. If that's the case then maybe the new one will let me use the SD card. I'll find out once they have an appointment for me hopefully next week and have the parts in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.