Headlight light bulb issue - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Headlight light bulb issue

Hi all,

Since we bought our used 2016 6, I've noticed the driver side low beam acting up. For the most part it's been working so I haven't dealt with it yet. Last night the light went out so I just assumed the bulb finally gave up. Upon fiddling with it this morning I can't get my hand in there very well. The bulb appears to be floating around in the housing and when I bumped into the wiring the bulb came back on. Here's a pic of the bulb itself, not great, but is this an aftermarket bulb? There seems to be a lot of extra wiring that doesn't look stock to me just hanging around loose next to the air box. For the life of me I can't get the bulb to stay in the housing. I feel I'll have to go through the wheel arch to gain access. I'm not home currently so I'll try to get a decent picture of the wiring mess later tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190323_115418_01_1553376660804.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	227072  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
That looks like an HID bulb to me, which is NOT stock in the '16 sport or touring. I don't know whether it is the stock bulb for a GT with the swiveling headlights. Check which trim level you have of '16 6.

Also, coming from a guy with big hands, going through the wheel well is MUCH easier for bulb replacements in the third gen 6. Turn the wheel to the side opposite where you're working, pop the centers of the plastic clips up, and pull them out, and you'll have much more room to work with. If you've got aftermarket HIDs in the car, you'll probably find the ballasts and other wiring in that open space as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page