Mazda 6 Forums banner

Headlight light bulb issue

760 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kilawok 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Since we bought our used 2016 6, I've noticed the driver side low beam acting up. For the most part it's been working so I haven't dealt with it yet. Last night the light went out so I just assumed the bulb finally gave up. Upon fiddling with it this morning I can't get my hand in there very well. The bulb appears to be floating around in the housing and when I bumped into the wiring the bulb came back on. Here's a pic of the bulb itself, not great, but is this an aftermarket bulb? There seems to be a lot of extra wiring that doesn't look stock to me just hanging around loose next to the air box. For the life of me I can't get the bulb to stay in the housing. I feel I'll have to go through the wheel arch to gain access. I'm not home currently so I'll try to get a decent picture of the wiring mess later tonight.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like an HID bulb to me, which is NOT stock in the '16 sport or touring. I don't know whether it is the stock bulb for a GT with the swiveling headlights. Check which trim level you have of '16 6.

Also, coming from a guy with big hands, going through the wheel well is MUCH easier for bulb replacements in the third gen 6. Turn the wheel to the side opposite where you're working, pop the centers of the plastic clips up, and pull them out, and you'll have much more room to work with. If you've got aftermarket HIDs in the car, you'll probably find the ballasts and other wiring in that open space as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.