HID much dimmer than before - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 604mazda6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question HID much dimmer than before

Hi, my HID low beam are much dimmer than before, to the point that my car will cast a shadow in front of me because of the car behind me lights up the road around me. Is this normal for HID to do this with time? If not, is it the bulb or ballast that is starting to go?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvaing View Post
Hi, my HID low beam are much dimmer than before, to the point that my car will cast a shadow in front of me because of the car behind me lights up the road around me. Is this normal for HID to do this with time? If not, is it the bulb or ballast that is starting to go?

Thanks
What year is the car and is the HID system factory or aftermarket? I'd lean towards the bulbs starting to go from what little was posted. Over time the salt in the bulbs will just be used up and cause them not to be as bright as when new. One could find replacement bulbs for relatively cheap as a test.

If it's only 1 side acting up, try switching bulbs from side to side. If the problem follows the bulb swap then you know it's the bulbs. If it stays on the same side after the bulb switch, it's more than likely the ballast.

If it's both sides being dimmer, get a cheap fresh set of bulbs and toss in there. If its fine after that, then you could spend the money and get a good set of bulbs. Good bulbs can cost $100 + depending on the brand. Morimotos can be had for around $50.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groans: 0
It's a 2009 and they are the factory installed bulbs. Both seems to be at the same brightness level. I don't notice any discrepancies. Is there any specific part or model/socket number I should be looking for? The manual only says the HID lights should be replaced at the dealer so they give any specification on the bulbs.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
It looks as if diode dynamics has them listed as being D2S bulbs from the factory. Someone with the factory hids will be able to tell you for sure. I am currently running aftermarket and I'm 1st gen so I'm no help on that lol.

Whatever size the bulbs, you can find them aftermarket from almost anywhere. I always order the sets in sets. With dealing with hid lighting it's always good to keep a spare set laying around as a just in case because we can't just run into the auto parts store and get them off of the shelf.

Ray.
2003 6s
Brakemotive Drilled and slotted rotors, Modified eBay CAI, EGR reroute and optimized, TB coolant delete, Brake light mod, AWR Racing Lower dog bone, AWR Right engine mount, BIG 5 upgrade, Battery Relocated, Custom Busbars, Optima Red top, 2 12" Planet Audio BBD12, Rockville Audio 1400w 4chan amp, Rockville Audio 8000w sub amp, RX 8 seats, Custom LED side markers, Lower rear bumper lights, Transmission cooler, Derale Performance transmission filter kit, and lots more to come!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvaing View Post
It's a 2009 and they are the factory installed bulbs. Both seems to be at the same brightness level. I don't notice any discrepancies. Is there any specific part or model/socket number I should be looking for? The manual only says the HID lights should be replaced at the dealer so they give any specification on the bulbs.

Thanks.
It's been ten years, your HIDs are at the end of their life cycle. HID bulbs dim as they age, it's time to pop in a new set. OEM HIDs are D2S, I went with some Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs. Installing is easy, just peel your wheel liners back to get access.
idrive likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page