Interior map lights not working on door open... - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Interior map lights not working on door open...

This past weekend to kill a little time in the garage after getting my airbag light issue sorted I began to install a pair of Mazda logo courtesy lights in the front doors of my 04 wagon.

Popped the cover off the driver’s door and pulled the lamp, plugged the logo light in its place and it lit up, but only for a couple of seconds before it flickered a few times then went out. I closed the door and when I opened it again I noticed that in addition to the courtesy light not coming on, my interior map lights didn’t come on either.

I closed the door & hit the lock on the remote; all the doors locked. I hit open once, driver’s door unlocked, hit it a second time, all doors unlocked...but none of my map lights came on; front or back seats.

I opened up the liftgate & the cargo area map light works fine. Sat in the car and manually hit each of the four individual map light buttons in the front and back seats and all four of them came on - not a fuse issue. Both front and back seat switches are set to ‘Door’, but none of those lights come on automatically when a door is open.

I removed the logo courtesy fixture and replaced the original lamp in the door; still no love. I put a meter on the courtesy light socket; zero volts.

Any ideas?

Fully loaded 2004 Mazda 6 GS Wagon

Added:
- GT Rear Spoiler
- 08 Front Seats
- Lotek gauge pod & GlowShift gauges
- Magnaflow catback exhaust (resonator delete)

- And a bunch of other really cool stuff that will all be revealed in the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I am about to order that thing and now I'm having second thoughts...

I'm willing to try this if it will fit to the 2018 model.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Sounds like the door switch burned out. Maybe the new light drew too much current for the switch? I'd expect the fuse to blow before any switches would go if that was the case, but you said the map lights are working if you manually turn them on, so that definitely rules out the fuse like you said.

Not sure if it's too late now, but maybe pull the courtesy light and check for any burning smells inside the door panel. Is it possible the harness got tugged and came loose somewhere up near the door switch?

Do the lights come on at all when you open the rear doors? Those should have switches on each door, AFAIK, although if the circuit is open somewhere else maybe it doesn't matter what the state of the switch is on the rear doors.

To me, it sounds like a loose, pinched, or burned out wire or switch, which would beg the question of why a fuse didn't blow first.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
Sounds like the door switch burned out.

Not sure if it's too late now, but maybe pull the courtesy light and check for any burning smells inside the door panel. Is it possible the harness got tugged and came loose somewhere up near the door switch?

Do the lights come on at all when you open the rear doors? Those should have switches on each door, AFAIK, although if the circuit is open somewhere else maybe it doesn't matter what the state of the switch is on the rear doors.
I should have included in my initial post; the door ajar light on the dash still comes on when any of the four passenger doors are open & goes out when they're closed, so that tells me it's not a door switch either. The door switches are actually on the body side of the door openings, & they were not touched when I installed the new lights.

No lights come on when the rear doors are open, and there was no odd odor when I installed the logo light, nor when I swapped the original lamp back in.

Added:
- GT Rear Spoiler
- 08 Front Seats

- And a bunch of other really cool stuff that will all be revealed in the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
I am about to order that thing and now I'm having second thoughts...

I'm willing to try this if it will fit to the 2018 model.
Those are the ones. Probably not from the same source, however I'm sure they're all made in the same place.

Added:
- GT Rear Spoiler
- 08 Front Seats

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Quote:
Sounds like the door switch burned out.

I should have included in my initial post; the door ajar light on the dash still comes on when any of the four passenger doors are open & goes out when they're closed, so that tells me it's not a door switch either. The door switches are actually on the body side of the door openings, & they were not touched when I installed the new lights.

No lights come on when the rear doors are open, and there was no odd odor when I installed the logo light, nor when I swapped the original lamp back in.
The plot thickens!

Re: the switch, I was wondering if it was possible the harness got tugged on at all. I don’t know how much slack there is on it. Even if the switch is on the door frame, pulling on the harness it’s attached to could damage the terminal. If there’s plenty of slack in the harness, that seems unlikely to be the problem. I’d lean more toward a pinched wire or maybe a bent pin on the connector somewhere in that case.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Garage
Hereís something you could try to see if itís wiring related
I see you said you have a multi meter so try grounding it somewhere else (like directly to the battery) and see if you get power to the socket the do the same for the ground, connect the positive to a good source (again the battery would be ideal) and see if the ground is good on the socket this should at least help you narrow down possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
To Come lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<- ->
<-

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The plot thickens!

Re: the switch, I was wondering if it was possible the harness got tugged on at all. I don’t know how much slack there is on it. Even if the switch is on the door frame, pulling on the harness it’s attached to could damage the terminal. If there’s plenty of slack in the harness, that seems unlikely to be the problem. I’d lean more toward a pinched wire or maybe a bent pin on the connector somewhere in that case.
The lamp socket is a separate piece that clips fairly securely into the door panel and once taking the stock lens cover off, that’s all that was touched during the entire process; the wiring harness for the lamp was never disturbed and the door frame where the actual switch is was never touched at all.

The lamp socket is a very simple design of two pieces of copper - the bread in a lightbulb sandwich if you will, where the lamp base just slides between those two contacts and is pressure-fit to keep it in place.

To see if there is somehow any issue with the lamp socket wiring, I’ll need to pull the door skin off, though I can’t rwally see that being the issue as there was far less stress put on that harness swapping lamps than there is simply shutting the door.

Added:
- GT Rear Spoiler
- 08 Front Seats

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Quote:
The plot thickens!

The lamp socket is a separate piece that clips fairly securely into the door panel and once taking the stock lens cover off, that’s all that was touched during the entire process; the wiring harness for the lamp was never disturbed and the door frame where the actual switch is was never touched at all.

The lamp socket is a very simple design of two pieces of copper - the bread in a lightbulb sandwich if you will, where the lamp base just slides between those two contacts and is pressure-fit to keep it in place.

To see if there is somehow any issue with the lamp socket wiring, I’ll need to pull the door skin off, though I can’t rwally see that being the issue as there was far less stress put on that harness swapping lamps than there is simply shutting the door.
In that case, I’m inclined to agree. Did you check if any pins in the socket/receptacle looked bent or otherwise damaged?

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
In that case, I’m inclined to agree. Did you check if any pins in the socket/receptacle looked bent or otherwise damaged?
There really are no pins in the socket to speak of; it’s the same as a most of the interior lights where they’re just pushed in between the two copper contacts.

I’ll take the door skin off at some point over the next couple of days and confirm there’s nothing wrong with that.

Deeper digging has lead me to the possibility that there’s an issue with the ‘Door Lock Timer Unit’ one of the functions of which is the room light control (front and rear map lights and door courtesy lights). Of course it’s up behind the glove box somewhere and to get to it I’ll probably need the skinniness of a 9 year old girl, so I’m hopeful I find something else before I need to pull it out.

Added:
- GT Rear Spoiler
- 08 Front Seats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page