Interior map lights not working on door open... - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
In that case, I’m inclined to agree. Did you check if any pins in the socket/receptacle looked bent or otherwise damaged?
There really are no pins in the socket to speak of; it’s the same as a most of the interior lights where they’re just pushed in between the two copper contacts.

I’ll take the door skin off at some point over the next couple of days and confirm there’s nothing wrong with that.

Deeper digging has lead me to the possibility that there’s an issue with the ‘Door Lock Timer Unit’ one of the functions of which is the room light control (front and rear map lights and door courtesy lights). Of course it’s up behind the glove box somewhere and to get to it I’ll probably need the skinniness of a 9 year old girl, so I’m hopeful I find something else before I need to pull it out.
Yikes! Good luck!

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackerphotos View Post
There really are no pins in the socket to speak of; it’s the same as a most of the interior lights where they’re just pushed in between the two copper contacts.

I’ll take the door skin off at some point over the next couple of days and confirm there’s nothing wrong with that.

Deeper digging has lead me to the possibility that there’s an issue with the ‘Door Lock Timer Unit’ one of the functions of which is the room light control (front and rear map lights and door courtesy lights). Of course it’s up behind the glove box somewhere and to get to it I’ll probably need the skinniness of a 9 year old girl, so I’m hopeful I find something else before I need to pull it out.

This was along my thinking as well. It has to be some kinf of low level electrical circuit that was molested. I feel awful because those came from me. I swear they did nothing of the sort, I stopped using them for the reasons I told you; I couldn't operate my wireless doos locks more than one click once the interior lights were illuminated (and that light was active)
I know @waughoo installed an aftermarket timer recently with additional circuitry that allowed him to have window control after the ignition circuit was opened. He may have some insight here as he is generally my go-to electro-wizard where this stuff is concerned.

I'll keep digging around.

Do your vanity lights and cigarette lighter still work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.MSP slotted brakes & rotors
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I regretfully concur that the light timer module is a possibility. The reasons being that the effect results in both the rear and the front illumination.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
@DrFeelGood could I ask where you got them because depending on what this issue is when it gets sorted I think they would look good I had something similar on a car before but the ones I had then and the ones I have found now are “universal” and require a hole to be drilled in the door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Still Want lowering springs, sway bars, subframe brace, strut tower brace
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I regretfully concur that the light timer module is a possibility. The reasons being that the effect results in both the rear and the front illumination.
To clarify, that’s the door lock timer unit?

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
I feel awful because those came from me.

<snip>

Do your vanity lights and cigarette lighter still work?
No harm, no foul man. I didn’t name you because I fully appreciate that if there was a problem with them, you’d never have sent them to me; there was nothing to be gained by saying they were yours because it just wasn’t relevant.

In four days it’ll be 21 years since I quit smoking so I’m not sure if the lighter works (the 12v in the armrest does because that’s where I have my phone charger plugged in and I’ve used it multiple times since the light issue popped up, and I would think they’d be on the same circuit). I’ll double check in the morning and I’ll also check the vanity lights. I’ve only ever used that mirror once (to get out an eyelash that was blinding me in my right eye).

@blackerphotos on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter

Last edited by blackerphotos; 01-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
I could be way off here because electrical is not always my strong suit but if the problem is related to a module is it possible that disconnecting it or the battery for a while could potentially “reset” something?

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Mods tinted windows, trans cooler, triple gauge dash pod, EGR tube delete, TB coolant bypass, gutted exhaust w/ MagnaFlow muffler
Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevil6 View Post
@DrFeelGood could I ask where you got them because depending on what this issue is when it gets sorted I think they would look good I had something similar on a car before but the ones I had then and the ones I have found now are “universal” and require a hole to be drilled in the door

They are the Laser Mazda Door Logo lights that sell all over ebay. I think I got mine from Aliexpress ~$7

In my car when the light was illuminated (interior lights on) I could not operated my wireless (key fob) consistently. I would always unlock the drivers door but I would have to wait for the lights to interior lights to dim out to lock the door with the fob. I was almost never able to double click to open all locks (which I need for the kids).

If it were just me it would be fine. One click to unlock the door and manually lock when leaving.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

.MSP slotted brakes & rotors
The Following User Says Thank You to DrFeelGood For This Useful Post:
bluedevil6 (01-10-2019)
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure the light wont be bright enough to cast that.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
They are the Laser Mazda Door Logo lights that sell all over ebay. I think I got mine from Aliexpress ~$7

In my car when the light was illuminated (interior lights on) I could not operated my wireless (key fob) consistently. I would always unlock the drivers door but I would have to wait for the lights to interior lights to dim out to lock the door with the fob. I was almost never able to double click to open all locks (which I need for the kids).

If it were just me it would be fine. One click to unlock the door and manually lock when leaving.

Thanks, I have not seen them on eBay just universal ones, guess I’ll look some more. I think I remember reading something about that problem before, it’s still tempting because my compustar remote start system will unlock all the doors at once if I use that fob.

2007 6 Hatch 3.0 V6 ATX

Places to find me-
->
<- ->
<-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page