Persistent Radio/display issue - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Persistent Radio/display issue

So I'm currently deployed, but have been trying to troubleshoot a persistent radio/center display issue on my wife's 2007 6S. Back in July, she went on a road trip during which the radio stopped working. After a little troubleshooting, she found the ROOM fuse had blown so she replaced it. Radio worked for a few weeks, then went out again. She checked the fuse again, but this time it wasn't blown. However, when she reinstalled it, the radio worked again for a few more weeks. It went out again, but this time replacing the fuse didn't make any difference. Fast forward to early September and the battery died. She had the battery replaced, and low and behold, everything worked again for a few weeks before going out again. About mid September, the idle started acting funky, so I had her install the spare throttle body I had sitting on the workbench. As part of the process she disconnected the battery and then did the idle relearn process for the new throttle body. Again the radio worked for about a week. As expected however, the spare, used throttle body was a bit of a dud, seems the idle relearn process didn't take so I had her install a new throttle body from Mazda. This time the idle relearn did work, it's running great, stereo works, all is well with the world. But, once again, 2 days later, the radio is dead again. It seems she can make it work by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery but it won't work for long. I'm a few months away from being home to tear it apart to see what could be wrong, but I was wondering if the community might have an answer to why the radio/display only seems to work after a battery disconnect/reset and what she can try next.

I offered to get her an aftermarket double din with the adapter, but she really likes the factory radio after I installed a USB adapter for her music.

Notes:
ROOM Fuse is good
12.5V at the ROOM fuse contacts
Dome lights, instruments, dash cluster, cig lighter all work fine.
Moonet USB/Aux adapter installed in factory non-Bose Stereo

TLDR: Radio goes out, only works once the battery is disconnected and reconnected.

Thanks,
George

Stop rocking the sinking ship
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:49 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
All I can think of is a chassis ground issue. It's a bit of a bigger job (don't forget the bolt from the glove box) but I would remove the AUX adapter and see if the issue resolves. I recently had a remote door lock issue as a result of adding a cheap LED light to the system. It would work sometimes but not others. Just a thought. It's great your gal can do the work herself. Maybe someone else can give some insight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page