Mazda 6 Forums banner

Cooling Fan Issues 06 Mazda 6 - 3.0L

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jman 
#1 ·
Hello,

My 2006 Mazda 6 - 3.0L is having issues with the cooling fan (or so I think).

Essentially, when I turn the ignition on, drive it down the block and back with the A/C on it doesn't seem to work well. I went home and popped the hood and pressed the A/C button and then looked at the fans. The fans come on but go quite slow. Then they stop. Then they come back on. Then they stop etc.

What would be the first thing to check? Could a bad fan control module be the issue? I already replaced it (with a cheap one). I am willing to get a dealership part if that is the problem but would like to ensure that this is the issue first before spending the money on an expensive part.

Thanks,

#2 ·
Do the fans stop when the compressor stop? Fans should be always on when the compressor is running.
What was the previous issue? Why did you change the module?

#3 ·
If you got your relay control module from a cheap source, I hate to say it but that's probably your issue. There's a lot of known little quirks with the Fleabay ones, which is why I usually steer people away from them.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's so far. The reason I changed it was because the A/C would all of a sudden cut out and then shortly thereafter my car would overheat. I also noticed that my cooling fans would stay on after the ignition was switched off. They would stay on for 20-30 sec. I noticed that this corresponds to a click in the relay just before they shut off. I don't know the control system too well but I assume the computer tells the relay when to shut down and then assume that since the fan control module was bad (suspected) it kept supplying the power (and would have continued to do so) until the relay lost power?
I'll test it again in a day or two and see if the fan corresponds to the A/C compressor engaging / disengaging.

Thanks,

#5 ·
Update!

I turned the car on, then the ac. The compressor clutch is engaged and spinning during the entire test but the fan goes on weakly for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds then on for 5 then off for 5. Based on this would you guys say that it's the fan control module? Should I run any tests? I might run a few of the cold tests to the positive and negative terminals of the wire feeding the FCM.

Or does that have full power all the time and only rely on the FCM to cut power to the fans?

Thanks

#6 ·
As far as I know, fans are always ON at full speed when the compressor is running.
I'm not sure how the FCM works, check that the relays are ok and if they are, well, the FCM would be the last to blame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.