Cooling Fan Issues 06 Mazda 6 - 3.0L - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Cooling Fan Issues 06 Mazda 6 - 3.0L

Hello,

My 2006 Mazda 6 - 3.0L is having issues with the cooling fan (or so I think).

Essentially, when I turn the ignition on, drive it down the block and back with the A/C on it doesn't seem to work well. I went home and popped the hood and pressed the A/C button and then looked at the fans. The fans come on but go quite slow. Then they stop. Then they come back on. Then they stop etc.

What would be the first thing to check? Could a bad fan control module be the issue? I already replaced it (with a cheap one). I am willing to get a dealership part if that is the problem but would like to ensure that this is the issue first before spending the money on an expensive part.

Thanks,

2006 Mazda 6 3.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Do the fans stop when the compressor stop? Fans should be always on when the compressor is running.
What was the previous issue? Why did you change the module?

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2710 Post(s)
Thanked 3,981 Times in 2,797 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
If you got your relay control module from a cheap source, I hate to say it but that's probably your issue. There's a lot of known little quirks with the Fleabay ones, which is why I usually steer people away from them.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Thanks for the reply's so far. The reason I changed it was because the A/C would all of a sudden cut out and then shortly thereafter my car would overheat. I also noticed that my cooling fans would stay on after the ignition was switched off. They would stay on for 20-30 sec. I noticed that this corresponds to a click in the relay just before they shut off. I don't know the control system too well but I assume the computer tells the relay when to shut down and then assume that since the fan control module was bad (suspected) it kept supplying the power (and would have continued to do so) until the relay lost power?
I'll test it again in a day or two and see if the fan corresponds to the A/C compressor engaging / disengaging.

Thanks,

2006 Mazda 6 3.0L
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Update!

I turned the car on, then the ac. The compressor clutch is engaged and spinning during the entire test but the fan goes on weakly for 5 seconds then off for 5 seconds then on for 5 then off for 5. Based on this would you guys say that it's the fan control module? Should I run any tests? I might run a few of the cold tests to the positive and negative terminals of the wire feeding the FCM.

Or does that have full power all the time and only rely on the FCM to cut power to the fans?

Thanks

2006 Mazda 6 3.0L
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
As far as I know, fans are always ON at full speed when the compressor is running.
I'm not sure how the FCM works, check that the relays are ok and if they are, well, the FCM would be the last to blame.

2016-Current: 2006 Mazda 6 GT - V6 - Hatchback w/NAV

2008-2015: 2004 Mazda 6 GS - I4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page