Mazda 6 Forums banner

FINALLY! Remote Start with Secure Takeover

65K views 98 replies 31 participants last post by  Obzen 
#1 ·
Got a remote start installed that works awesome on my ‘16 M6. It works with the factory key fob (important to me since I don’t carry keys) AND the car DOES NOT shut off when you get in, which has always been a sticking point with Mazda’s. Here a quick video I took that shows what I installed and how it works:

See less See more
#2 ·
Got a remote start installed that works awesome on my ‘16 M6. It works with the factory key fob (important to me since I don’t carry keys) AND the car DOES NOT shut off when you get in, which has always been a sticking point with Mazda’s. Here a quick video I took that shows what I installed and how it works:

Video isn't working, but details of the unit would be great!

#3 ·
Which part isn’t working ?

Here’s the link: https://youtu.be/ABAVnAvdB0I

I got an idatastart Remote Start with a idatalink t-harness

#4 ·
Very cool! So you said you had it installed at Best Buy for $120? Is that with parts? If not, where did you get the parts? Looking forward to doing this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
That was just the install. Got the parts on eBay.

#7 ·
Would you be able to list the part numbers or the link? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Would you be able to list the part numbers or the link? I'd greatly appreciate it!
I remember that he shows a picture of the box at the end of the video. You could probably search based on that.

#18 ·

You can add a longer range remote that replaces your factory keyfob - but i wanted to keep the factory keyfob 'look' and besides its range works well for my needs..

#15 ·
How do you start your vehicle? Do you have to press the brake and press the 'start' button? if so, you should be good to go!

To get into the vehicle, just press the unlock on your keyfob. Mine works that way too - but i like using the button on the door of my GT since I'm lazy and always leave my keyfob in my pocket :laugh2:

#12 ·
Well, other than having to remove the physical key and use it in the driver door it probably would.

(That would render it basically useless, however, at least from my point of view.)

BTW for a "remote start" to be reasonably safe there must also be a remote shut OFF function. Otherwise what happens if you start the car and then for whatever reason can't get the door open? Impossible? Oh, says you, you've never lived in the north where doors get frozen closed, have you? ;-)

#19 · (Edited)
What do you mean? Mine works the same way. If my car is “on” (as in “on” normally , post bypass) and I press the buttons on my keyfob, nothing happens. This is normal operating procedure.

Starting that car with the remote start mitigates that option. if you watch the video, you’ll notice only after I enter the car and press the break does the car go into “normal on”. I hope this makes sense..

Reactions: J1MB3AM
#26 ·
Both keys work without a problem. Before leaving my installer, an operational walk thru was given to me. I had given the installer both keys to be sure they would work with their unit.
Give Mazda a call to see why they are so expensive. I would be curious as to what they tell you.

#29 ·
You either reverse-engineer the encryption between the ECU and whatever provides the "ok" to start signal (on VWs it's the cluster, I don't know where Mazdas have the actual logic that queries the key) or you do the same with the key's encryption and clone it in software so when commanded to "start" the module sees the query from the car and responds to it as the key.

If you can get the manufacturer to give you the protocol (and encryption) details then it's pretty easy to code to that but I suspect the odds of that are zero, so "best guess" is that they reverse-engineered it. It's a fair bit of work but far from impossible.

#35 ·
I wonder if there's a way to prevent it from sounding the horn when you send the 3 lock presses. That would get old in my neighborhood pretty quickly.

Anyone tried to install this themselves? With the T harness, I'd imagine it isn't too hard, just need to program the HCX, which also looks like something you can do on your own.

#36 ·
I took mine to Best Buy to install it. I bought all the parts before hand. The tech was able to change the auto start sequence to lock - unlock - lock. This way you only get the beeps and not the horn.

#38 ·
I'm not sure about that. I wasn't there for the installation. Only thing the tech told me that he couldn't get working was that apparently the turn signals are supposed to continue blinking with a remote start, until you get into the car. I'm guessing this is to let you know that the car turned on remotely if you can't here the car from a distance.

#41 ·
I was reading through the install guides on the iDatalink website, and it looks like there are at least two splices that need to be made: to the ignition, and to the parking lights. Although, it's a little difficult to understand what guide I should be reading. I chose this one.

I talked to a shop a few months ago about doing this install, and now that it is getting cold I'm going to call them again today. I miss having remote start in the winter.

#42 ·
In that manual under the section for Mazda 6 AT with T harness, looks like the only splices are for the horn (optional) and the parking lights (I'd consider that optional as well). The only other connections are the ignition via the T harness and a hood switch.

I called a local shop and they install this unit, will probably have it installed early next week. I'd opt to skip the horn and parking lights, not critical to function and I'd prefer to avoid any cutting of wires.

I did also ask about switching the start key sequence to a lock-unlock-lock and they said it's something they can do. Will report back next week with practical findings.

#39 ·
The turn signals do not stay blinking

#43 ·
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. Purchased the idatastart hcx000a, the Mazda t-harness and weblink adapter. The weblink adapter is required for our vehicles. I plan on doing the install myself and confirmed with the supplier I will be able to set the start sequence to lock, unlock, lock so I’m not the jerk neighbor honking my horn at 5am. Picked everything up everything for $190.

#44 ·
Please let us know the degree of difficulty on the install. I've got a quote from an installer but would prefer to do it myself if I can.

#46 ·
I opted to just have mine done professionally. Sounds like the programming step requires connecting the module to a computer with a special adaptor and access to vendor utility to program it. Between that and the 3 or so hard wired connections, it was worth the roughly $100 to just have someone else do it.

Can confirm that a no-honk lock-unlock-lock option is available and it seems there's a hood sensor built in (to the 2018 6 at least) already. Remote range is ok, might look into a Drone kit for mobile app. Might try to MacGyver my own with an AutoPi if I can figure out the data link between the HC and the add on modules. I'd like to be able to set climate and seat heat/cool settings remotely and an AutoPi might be able to do it.

#47 ·
I decided to have mine installed also, rather than doing it myself. Total cost for me was just under $300, and the install itself took maybe an hour. What was installed was:
- Compustar FT-DC3-LC remote start module
- ADS-THR-MA3 iDataLink T-Harness

The remote start works with the factory keyfobs. I chose not to add on any extended range remotes. I also had the remote start sequence changed to "Lock>Unlock>Lock" so no honking of the horn for multiple Lock button presses in a row.

A few observations on the functionality:
- Secure takeover happens once you enter the car and press the brake pedal. At that time, the Infotainment system boots up and the automatic climate controls kick in (versus dash fan running high speed after remote start and before takeover)
- Following remote start, if the keyfob is NOT in the vehicle and the brake pedal is pressed the engine shuts off
- The Auto headlights are disabled during remote start. So, even if it's dark out and I remote start the car, only the parking lights come on until the brake pedal is pressed

I had remote start on my past two cars, and that was one thing I was missing on the Mazda6... until now.

Reactions: juanfoolery
#48 ·
Installed the following parts in my 2015 mazda 6 earlier this year.

- iDataStart HCX000A remote start module ($130)
- ADS-THR-MA3 iDataLink T-Harness ($40 i think)

Not too hard of an install. Hardest part IMO is getting the wires connected to the turn signal stock. There are little wires you need to be able to connect to and I chose to solder mine to make it more secure. Not too much room for error with how much extra wire is available. The hood sensor is optional and you dont have to do anything special if you dont want installed... just dont install it.

All in all its a great product that was fairly easy to install. Do know if you plan to do the programming yourself then you need a PC (not a mac) and the $20 adapter from amazon. I have mine set on lock-unlock-lock. Love the secure takeover and how it doesn't shut off the engine when you open the door.

#49 ·
Do know if you plan to do the programming yourself then you need a PC (not a mac) and the $20 adapter from amazon. I have mine set on lock-unlock-lock. Love the secure takeover and how it doesn't shut off the engine when you open the door.

Aside from the adaptor, did you need to pay for any software? I’m thinking of adding a drone remote module and tweaking some other settings. Would be convenient to be able to do that myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.