Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Remote Start Alternative

I wonder, has anyone used a remote start system like this...

Complete Plug and Play Remote Start for Mazda 6 2014-2016 Push-To-Start

Uses your existing remote, looks for 3 consecutive lock presses and starts the engine. Way less than the OEM system and doesn't require an additional fob. I'm tempted...
kufliclicks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Snow View Post
I wonder, has anyone used a remote start system like this...

Complete Plug and Play Remote Start for Mazda 6 2014-2016 Push-To-Start

Uses your existing remote, looks for 3 consecutive lock presses and starts the engine. Way less than the OEM system and doesn't require an additional fob. I'm tempted...
Not smart IMHO, unless that is what the dealer would use...which I doubt. Ive seen these go wrong and it will get expensive for you if it does go wrong.

Even though this looks "legit", I dont trust it. It may not be flashed properly from the get-go.

I would take it to a professional (or the dealership, but I've seen dealerships do hackjob installs before...not pretty).

For most newer Mazdas with push-to-start, you have to remove the multi-function light stick to get to your parking lights for parking light illumination while remote started. That plug and play kit looks like it just plugs in at the start-stop module and thats it. They also give you wire taps, which nowadays will chew through wires because manufacturers are using smaller gauge wire.

Chris
Silver 2003 Mazda 6 3.0L V6
Geek Squad AutoTech
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Garage
I've been happy with my Compustar remote start. Lots of functionality, but you have to use a separate fob. I will say this though; after nearly a year of ownership, I sometimes wish I got the OEM setup. OEM fobs, warranty, and functionality. Not having to carry around the extra fob would be sooo nice. I know the OEM is pricey, but a good aftermarket will be at about half that. Your choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeffer View Post
I've been happy with my Compustar remote start. Lots of functionality, but you have to use a separate fob. I will say this though; after nearly a year of ownership, I sometimes wish I got the OEM setup. OEM fobs, warranty, and functionality. Not having to carry around the extra fob would be sooo nice.
Quote:
I know the OEM is pricey, but a BETTER aftermarket will be at about half that.
First, FTFY

Next...

The OE fob just adds another button for factory starter, which isn't anything special.

You can get 3x lock start from the OE fob with idatastart units, so you can get both an aftermarket remote start remote for longer range situations and can utilize your OE fob.

Major downside of 3x lock start with OE fob is range. You're limited to the range of your OE fob. You also can't have 2-way confirmation through the OE fob. My idatastart in my '03 6 is over 2000ft line of sight range with 2-way confirmation. Can't live without it.

You say warranty? Are you alluding to the dealer saying something about voiding your warranty by having a non-OEM remote start installed? Because under the Magnusson-Moss act, they can't deny your warranty work because of an aftermarket component installed in the car, especially if it is professionally installed by an authorized dealer/installer of that product. If they are, it's a major scare tactic they are using to squeeze you into buying theirs.

Chris
Geek Squad AutoTech
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:14 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg162 View Post
First, FTFY

Next...

The OE fob just adds another button for factory starter, which isn't anything special.

You can get 3x lock start from the OE fob with idatastart units, so you can get both an aftermarket remote start remote for longer range situations and can utilize your OE fob.

Major downside of 3x lock start with OE fob is range. You're limited to the range of your OE fob. You also can't have 2-way confirmation through the OE fob. My idatastart in my '03 6 is over 2000ft line of sight range with 2-way confirmation. Can't live without it.

You say warranty? Are you alluding to the dealer saying something about voiding your warranty by having a non-OEM remote start installed? Because under the Magnusson-Moss act, they can't deny your warranty work because of an aftermarket component installed in the car, especially if it is professionally installed by an authorized dealer/installer of that product. If they are, it's a major scare tactic they are using to squeeze you into buying theirs.
No, I meant to say "good," because I don't think the aftermarket is truly and wholly "better."

The additional button is exactly what makes it special: not having to carry around a second fob.

Extended range is nice, but how often is one within a 2000 foot line of sight range to your vehicle? A line of sight that is free of other signals, obstructions, and objects. Unless your remote start works off a cellular network, that is. There's not a place in or out of my city I've been where I have a line of sight to my car greater than the OEM fob.

2way confirmation is nice, which I believe is offered with the MMS app. Downside is the subscription price.

I say warranty as in, the Mazda accessories warranty. Most aftermarkets offer their own warranty as well, but an OEM product will cooperate better with the manufacturer than an aftermarket will; MM act or not.

To each their own with their choices. I like the additional alarm and features my Compustar offers, but with how I use mine, I wish I'd've just financed off the OEM remote start. The aftermarket is so stupidly sensitive, I accidentally set it off once a month - and that's after a year of usage.

-
-

-
-

Jacksonville, FL
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the advice, I think this is definitely a pass for me. After all things said, the discount over factory remote start definitely isn't worth it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
The Mazda remote start is outdated anyway. It is lick a brick and it shuts the engine off every time you open the door, so, then you have push the start button again, it defeat the purpose, of course, this was done to prevent people from stealing your car

I was thinking about getting remote start but not after finding this out
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda6Power View Post
The Mazda remote start is outdated anyway. It is lick a brick and it shuts the engine off every time you open the door, so, then you have push the start button again, it defeat the purpose, of course, this was done to prevent people from stealing your car

I was thinking about getting remote start but not after finding this out
That's how most newer push-to-start cars are, not just Mazda,and it's both aftermarket and OEM remote start systems. As you noted, it's for security purposes because you can get proximity keys online.

I think the only push-to-starts that don't shut off when the door opens is Nissan. But even still, you have to do the takeover process within 30 seconds iirc.

Chris
Geek Squad AutoTech
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctg162 View Post
That's how most newer push-to-start cars are, not just Mazda,and it's both aftermarket and OEM remote start systems. As you noted, it's for security purposes because you can get proximity keys online.

I think the only push-to-starts that don't shut off when the door opens is Nissan. But even still, you have to do the takeover process within 30 seconds iirc.
turning your car on, right after it was shut off by opening the door, is probably no good for the engine, so you would have to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to turn it on again, which defeats the purpose of a remote start. I just don't think is worth the price, with dealer installation and all, it would probably cost $-700800 just so you can get fresh more easily in hot weather or more warm in cold weather

I live in Florida, so I don't need it to warm me up, it may be helpful to cool down the car, but you can do that why opening the windows and running auto mode, sparring yourself from waiting a couple of minutes inside the car for it to cool down or get hot is not worth $800

cool to have if you have money to burn, rather use those $800 towards a full suspension setup or something more meaningful, or even use it for a 2 way alarm system

Last edited by Mazda6Power; 02-07-2017 at 06:01 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
There it is. Florida.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page