Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
03 Mazda 6 A/C issue

Hello,

I have a 03 Mazda 6 with A/C issues. This was my ex-wife's car and my daughter inherited it from her once she became of driving age. The ex says the AC hasn't worked well in years. Now the AC unit had a leaking suction hose (aluminum connector at the compressor was rubbing on the frame and sprung a hole) and no AC at all.

I ordered and replaced the suction hose. I pulled a vacuum to 100 microns and charged the unit by weight (1.1 lbs). I'm a refrigeration engineer so I know the charge is right and the compressor runs.

The AC will not get below 57 F at the drivers far left vent and the temps get warmer as you go from drivers side to passenger side (not much but noticeable).

Interesting enough, the blower motor was making a hell of a racket so I dropped it and and found an acorn in the blower wheel, I removed it and replaced the cabin air filter for good measure. I suspect the heater core is mixing with the AC air causing the temp to no get cold enough but I'm not very savvy on automotive ac units. I did stick my hand up through the blower hole and toward the center console to see if I could feel the evaporator but instead something burned the hell out of my finger, very hot. I think the source of this heat is my culprit.

Does anyone have any idea what I may have touched or what may be my issue? Again, most posts/replies have said to add refrigerant. I'm confident if the nomenclature that states 1.1 lb is correct it isn't a refrigerant issue.

This car has 200,000+ miles with the standard AC knobs, nothing fancy just a hot/cold selector and no dual climate control.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Groans: 19
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Was the car hot when you reached in there? Only thing that hot I can picture inside the heater box is the heater core. Nothing else should even be able to get to that hot. As for the lack of cool A/C, I would focus on the blend door. You likely don't want to hear this, but the dash will need to come off to do repairs to the HVAC unit itself.

It would be worth seeking a second opinion as well before taking anything else apart. You could also try to feel around in there when the car is cold and see if you can feel the blend door and then try to actuate it and see if it moves when the temp know is turned.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thank you for your reply. The car was running and the AC was on. The blower was completely disconnected and was out of the blower housing.

My question is, if I can stick my hand in the blower housing and feel this heat from maybe the heater core, how is the blower not moving this air out of my vents mixed with the AC air? I would have thought that the heater core would have been in a sealed box to separate it from the ac evaporator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Also I can move the hot/cold knob and see the door moving on the blend box. However i have no way of knowing if its closing fully since its enclosed but it seems to move to the fully open/closed position when adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page