Mazda 6 Forums banner

Adventures of Installing NEW Tail Lights!

25K views 55 replies 22 participants last post by  OCTOGONPC 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings G3n 6rs!

Back in October of 2014, I posted a blog about aftermarket Tail Lights:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/327209-anyone-interested-aftermarket-tail-lights.html

Since that time, I see a few of you have bought and installed some, however I did not see (or missed) the HOW TO on that. After months of searching and researching, I decided to follow suit and FINALLY get a set. Below are my Adventures of installing them:

STEP 1: Get up the courage to do this yourself.
- I was deathly afraid of doing this b/c of the fear of messing it up or breaking something along the way (as I could not find a guide anywhere else). After getting up the courage (two weeks later after getting the lights), I cautiously proceeded. Below is my collection of tools I used for the job:

- 13/32 Socket Wrench
- Multi-head screwdriver (Sunlight or Large LED Flashlight - not pictured)
- Needle nose pliers
- Electrical Tape
- Scissors
- Rubber seal (or other non conductive material you can cut)

STEP 2: Remove the Liner & inner trunk guard plate Push Pins:

STEP 3: Pull back felt lining, Remove Lugs from lights, and unplug wires (you can even remove all light bulbs at this time - RECOMMENDED):

STEP 4: Remove light by pulling it towards you, from the outer corner of car:

NOTE: Use a flashlight to see how everything is laid out. The light will slide with a little tug (do not pull outward). When you pull there will likely be a little grey tab that will pop out (see by the black wires in STEP 3 Photo). Find it and replace back in the hole.

COMPARISON PHOTOS:

STEP 5: Remove the lug washer from the trunklid light, and unplug wires & remove lights from original fixture:

Take a look at the interior of the trunklid and find the two pins that also secure the "chrome unibrow". Remove the chrome unibrow from the trunklid by removing the 3 cover tabs and pull out the bolts. Use needle nose pliers to loosen the fastening pins on the inside to pull it off (towards you...slowly):

NOTE: On the side of the trunklid light there is a small flap. Pull it out, and you will see two connector flaps that provide support for the light. Use a flathead screwdriver to loosen, and then pull off (towards you) with some significant force (Sorry...no pic). ONCE REMOVED, you should be able to pull the trunklid light out...with a little bit more force than everything else thus far, as it is likely sticking to the metal.

STEP 6: Here's where the creative thinking comes in. The trunklid replacement light has 2 wires (brown + / green -). You can either find an aftermarket w5w connector with two wires to attach that works with a Mazda 6 (good luck with that) , or you can create your own connection like I did with the one for the lightbulb.

I removed the w5w lightbulb from the OEM Fixture, then removed the bulb from the connector by pulling it straight up, with little force:

Then I identified the color that provided power (pink) and which one was the ground (black / yellow). I then looked to see how it lined up w/ the connector (the inner pins were at the bottom), and I matched the brown wire to the pink one and the green to the black / yellow one, and tested by flicking the lights off then on:

Then I used a small piece of rubber from a rubber seal I found to keep the wires separated, and secured the wires with electrical tape, and retested:

NOW to the HOME STRETCH...

STEP 7: Insert the NEW main tail light back in, and loosely secure with one lug nut, reconnect 2 of the 3 wires (you'll see what I mean), and test by flicking lights off, then on.

Insert the trunklid light, loosely secure with the lug nut, and connect your new connector to the appropriate wire, and test. Close the trunk, flick the lights and marvel at your handy work!!

STYLE COMPARISON: Lights on

STYLE COMPARISON: Lights Off

After the successful test, repeat for the other side, and enjoy "The power of Tha' Glow!":

Or bear witness to the "Dark Side" of the Force your ride is now rocking (especially IF you were able to find these RARE Smoked Versions like I did! You know what they say...Seek and you shall find!):

TAKEAWAY: When putting back the "chrome unibrow" it wasn't as "snug" as the OEM lights. I believe this is because of the thick rubber gasket that came on my lights (I had to press on the light while I torqued the lug nut to compress it a little closer). You may need to put some other securing item to make it a better fit. That in mind you may want to get some self-adhesive rubber foam weathering strips to assist in making the certain items more snug.

Thanks for reading...and I hope this helps anyone else you goes the DIY Route! Anything you have done, or end up doing...please share!

See less See more
#9 ·
Sorry about that. I apparently have an issue w/ OneDrive not sharing my pictures to everyone. I will try to get this fixed soon. Thanks for letting me know @cibersay, & @sandman205
Don't know what happened to the images but I did see them before they poofed. The taillight looked alright, but when you smoked them they were amazing! I also always thought it was weird that the cx-5 has so many options for tails while we only get 1.

#19 ·
#23 ·
Thanks for all the kudos! For the record, I DID NOT smoke the "Red Version" of the aftermarket tail lights. I FOUND the "Smoked Version" of these tails, that no one else seems to report exist. I saw a mention of it, and asked the seller to send me a recent picture of them to be SURE they were real (since no one else seemed to offer them). Once I saw the picture, I put in my order. Not sure I was clear on that point. Anyway, as soon as they have more, I'll post here.

#27 ·
#32 ·
Bad thing for me but everyone has their own style and taste. I personally love the styling of the LED tails on my 6.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#34 ·
I think part of it for me is I live in Metro Detroit and see Fusions day in and out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Reactions: OCTOGONPC
#36 · (Edited)
@Donkey Grundle and @kingofthesioux @MadStyle shared this on another post:

These look a lot like the 2016 model tails! Thanks again to @MadStyle for an AWESOME Find!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.