Here is an example of a top notch m6 android HU - Page 24 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #231 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so last night I positioned the GPS antenna in the spot that @Habaku mentioned and it actually works now. Seems like a spot perfect to be rattley and annoying though as they sit in there pretty loose. I preemptively sort of stuffed some old t shirt fabric in there to fill up the gaps and hopefully prevent the antennas from rattling in the future.

Still no word back from Smart Rover on the damaged harness. I messed with it last night with a couple of small needles and couldn't get it de-pinned. My buddy has an actual de-pin kit that I'll try on lunch today.

I peeled the fabric tape off and the green wire is going to the "3G USB" plug. So I should still be able to use it as a charger just not to read data - assuming their wire colors are correct - the green wire should be the data+ wire (with white being data-, red being 5V+, and black being ground). I'll just have to remember the "3G USB" is charge only vs the "DVD USB" being able to read data.

Moving on, I had the HU hooked up in my car for about 30 minutes last night playing around with it. It was only 50 degrees outside and obviously inside the car was pretty cool as well as I wasn't running the heater or anything. When I turned the car off and went to unplug/remove the HU it was pretty darn hot on the actual metal casing. I didn't even have it fully installed, just sitting in there temporarily.

Being this hot after only 30 minutes on a 50 degree night I can't imagine how hot it'll be during an August day here in Dallas. Is this normal in your experience @MadStyle @Hisma @Habaku?

I'm confused by some of the harnesses and wiring. Why does the external microphone have a "CAM-LINE" wire as well as an "AMP-CON" wire? What do those do?

I'm also trying to figure out where my (aftermarket) backup camera will plug in. Since I don't have the stock camera I assume I won't be using #13 . Am I supposed to use #3 ? If I use #3 , will the rear camera automatically display on the screen when activated by the reverse lights? I do not want to have to manually select something on the HU to get the backup camera to display.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
@james92se my unit survived summer in Houston without any issues. You should have nothing to worry about, though I do of course wonder about consistency of build quality, seeing as we all have somewhat different issues to deal with in regards to that.

Cam signal is for a backup camera connection. The amp con is just a switched +12V signal that can be used to power whatever you feel like. Many people use it to turn on an amplifier, but you could also use it for a dash cam, for instance.

You could get by with just 1 USB port by the way. Just buy a cheap usb hub and stick it in your glove box. That should give you 3 usb connections you can use for various things. I think most of us don't do much else other than put a thumb drive in there. I don't know of anyone here that using screen mirroring... I have yet to try it personally.
post #233 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:02 PM

@Hisma I really appreciate you hanging around this thread and continuing to give input. Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about the loss of that USB port. I was mainly concerned about the damaged harness just only in the case of potentially it affecting the CANBUS stuff.

Do you have any thoughts on which cam line I should hook my aftermarket camera video line to to insure that it cuts in automatically when reverse is engaged? For all I know they could all operate the same but I won't be able to really mess with it for a few more days so I'm trying to figure all this out ahead of time.

What stinks for me this time of year with the short days is that I don't get home until it's already dark outside and it's difficult trying to mess with stuff out in the driveway in the dark. Usually I could use the garage but I have my brother's S2000 project in my garage since he needed to borrow my lift a "few days" that has now turned into months lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 12:53 PM

So, I played around with my HU again last night and test wired my aftermarket backup camera to a battery and, as is, the only way I can get the backup camera to display on the HU is to use the "aux-vin" labeled RCA connector on the harness that contains the big jumble of RCA connectors. None of the others work, even the ones labeled as camera. Further, it will only display on the screen if I manually press the "mode" hard button to cycle over to the "aux" setting (which takes forever), or alternatively I can press the audio cable looking icon on the screen seen here:

The problem with this is that I don't want to have to manually do this each time. It also turns my music off and then afterwards I have to manually turn the music back on.

Since I don't have the factory backup camera I obviously don't have the built-in wiring harness connector for it. I need to mimic the factory setup and trigger the Android HU to operate like stock to display my backup camera automatically, but I need to understand how the factory stuff fits together with this Android HU wiring.

Can one of you factory backup camera guys who own this Android HU help me out here?

What I need is to determine with 100% certainty that THIS white connector plugs into the factory backup camera harness in your dash. This should be it based on the fact that it's got a camera RCA and that I have nothing to plug into it, but want to make sure:

If so, I need to know what exactly you did with the camera RCA line coming off of the connector in question:

Does it plug into the "cam" female RCA on the Android HU bundle? Like this:

If all the above is true, I believe I just need to worry about two wires now. I say only worry about two wires because I should be able to run the camera cable straight from my camera to this female connector on the RCA bundle:

This will bypass the male RCA camera dongle hanging off the white connector in question and thus I won't need to worry about those two terminals. I'll just be left with the orange wire and a black ground wire that I'll need to feed presumably with a signal from the reverse lights:

post #235 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:40 PM

After getting schooled on this by my brother and buddy over lunch, I see I was thinking about this backwards. I don't need to "feed" the orange and black wire. Instead, THOSE "feed" my camera.

I believe that I can probably just cut that white connector off and run the orange wire straight to my camera positive and black wire to my camera ground.

The only question would be whether or not my base model manual transmission body side stuff is even wired to recognize and signal the camera wire when reverse is engaged. I'm really curious if the base model wiring harness even has the wiring for it on the body side. Guess I won't know until I get home to check it out.
post #236 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 PM

Ugh well I figured that might have been too easy. I just took a look at my harness from my Smart Rover HU and it doesn't even have a pin on the connector that would mate up with the body side reverse signal wire.

Reverse signal pin is 1M and my Smart Rover is just blank on that spot.

Factory harness (this would be factory with backup camera, obviously):

And my Smart Rover harness:

So, womp.

This now makes me wonder if I got this sort of "barren" setup because I told Smart Rover my car was the base model manual transmission version. I didn't think ahead that it might cause me this issue. They wanted to be told specifically what year/trim I had so I just told them without thought.

Did any of you guys with the Smart Rover unit have the harness that is actually pinned on the 1M/reverse signal lead? I would suspect surely so for the factory backup camera to function plug and play.

@Habaku - if you don't have yours permanently installed, maybe you could check your Smart Rover harness for me?

I could add my own terminal to that spot, but the problem is I'm not sure where the other end of the wire would run. I suspect it would probably go to that canbus decoder but I wouldn't want to speculate or guess.

This might all be moot anyway if my body side factory harness has no reverse signal wire to start with. I'll have to check that when I get home. Sucks trying to figure all this stuff out remotely from work lol.
post #237 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Okay so got home from work and got to testing with the multimeter. The stock harness DOES spit out 12V at pin 1M when reverse is engaged. So that's good.

It's the white wire with red stripe for future reference for anybody (again this is a 2014 Sport trim with manual transmission):

Now my problem again is that the Smart Rover harness isn't pinned on this reverse signal wire unfortunately.

If any of you guys with unit could point out where that wire routes on the Smart Rover unit that would really help me out. I could replicate it if I knew where it routed
post #238 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
@james92se, i went through all that already. See here -

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electric...roid-hu-6.html

If you follow the steps in that post & the other thread I linked, you'll be good to go. I think you are having the same issue I had.
post #239 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
@james92se, i went through all that already. See here -

http://forum.mazda6club.com/electric...roid-hu-6.html

If you follow the steps in that post & the other thread I linked, you'll be good to go. I think you are having the same issue I had.
Dang I see you already pointed out the reverse trigger wire over a year ago here http://forum.mazda6club.com/electric...ml#post4538610

Wish I would've seen that, that would've saved me a lot of time yesterday lol.

Anyway, okay, I see from that post that it appears your Android HU did NOT have a wire that corresponded to the factory reverse trigger wire just like mine. Correct?

It also says that you wired your factory reverse trigger wire to the reverse trigger wire on the Android HU which for you was labeled "back". How did you find or determine this? I have no wires on my Android HU labeled "back".

I guess if the Android trigger wire does not need to go to the canbus box and if I indeed have some sort of dedicated Android HU reverse trigger wire then I should be in business. Any chance at all that you remember which harness on the Android HU this "back" wire was attached to?

I wonder now actually if I could just wire my factory reverse trigger wire to the orange wire on the white Android HU connector that I was questioning above. I'm rolling my rear fenders right now but after I'm done mess around with the Android. Thanks for your input man.
post #240 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 PM

I got it working! Thanks again for all the input @Hisma

I'll add some details later on
Hisma likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page