Here is an example of a top notch m6 android HU - Page 23 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #221 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also - I have this connector in my dash that was in the factory radio but nothing on the Smart Rover unit fits this. What is this plug for?

Here is the female side on the back of the factory radio:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:44 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james92se View Post
Well I got my head unit today, finally. Once it finally actually shipped it got here QUICK. Literally shipped from China last night and had it this afternoon here in Dallas.

I didn't get home from work until after it was already dark so I couldn't mess with the unit too much, but I did set it in place and did a really basic hook up on it. Some of the harnesses I'm not really sure what they're for. Unfortunately, one of my harnesses has a wire that came un-crimped out of the connector:

I'm wondering if I really need this harness anyway. Is the one labeled 3G USB simply an input for a 3G modem? I definitely will not be using one of those. Likewise, is the one labeled DVD USB an input for a DVD player? If so, I don't care about that either and thankfully this damaged harness is not an issue for me.
If I remember correctly, that yellow harness connector goes directly into the back of the HU.

Each male harness connector has a small notch on the side so it can only go into one of the female connectors on the back of the HU. Gently try plugging into each of the slots on the back of the HU until you find the one that fits. You may not need or use the modem USB or the DVD USB but you'll likely want that canbus cable plugged in.

Quote:
A couple of observations:

1) The buttons on my unit are all red! I guess it's silly to be upset about this because the listing clearly states that the buttons light up red, but the fact that all you guys got white buttons gave me false hope I guess. I really hate red buttons and interior lights in cars so this is a real bummer. I don't suppose that the color is changeable in settings or something?

2) I hooked up the GPS antenna but it does not seem to be working. Does it need to be turned on somehow in settings? Is the GPS signal for some reason dependent on a data connection? I did not have wifi connected. Is there another trick other than just making sure the GPS antenna is hooked up? When I open the GPS app it seems to think I'm in San Antonio for some reason even though I'm in Dallas, although it doesn't seem to actually be locating me because it shows "looking for GPS signal". Maybe it just defaults to San Antonio as some sort of demo location for all I know. Regardless, is there something extra I should be doing to properly enable GPS?

For 1) Not silly at all. The glow light plays a large aesthetic role and helps tie the different components of the car together rather than making it look like a chop shop of aftermarket parts. It's my understanding that the glow light color can be changed within the HUs settings. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you exactly where because I had told the seller before hand that I wanted the lights white so they were already white when I received it.

For 2) GPS does not require any data connection to detect your position. It could be that you positioned the GPS antenna in such a position that it doesn't get a strong signal. Where did you place the antenna? There's two apps on the HU that will display the GPS signal strength in real time. I ended up placing the GPS antenna in the same location as the stock GPS antenna per @guy989 suggestion here. Also are you inside a garage? My signal strength drops significantly inside my garage where I did my original install.
post #223 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Also - I have this connector in my dash that was in the factory radio but nothing on the Smart Rover unit fits this. What is this plug for?

I did not have this connector. What year and trim is your car? Do you have the factory tech package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Quote:

You no longer able to use it on the aftermarket radio, That connector is the USB wire for the Factory USB in center console.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #225 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaku View Post
If I remember correctly, that yellow harness connector goes directly into the back of the HU.

Each male harness connector has a small notch on the side so it can only go into one of the female connectors on the back of the HU. Gently try plugging into each of the slots on the back of the HU until you find the one that fits. You may not need or use the modem USB or the DVD USB but you'll likely want that canbus cable plugged in.
Oh I did find where everything plugs in - I just wanted to confirm that this damaged harness is irrelevant to me because I will not be using a 3G modem dongle or care to play an external DVD USB player or anything like that (assuming that is indeed what those USB plugs are for).

Quote:
For 1) Not silly at all. The glow light plays a large aesthetic role and helps tie the different components of the car together rather than making it look like a chop shop of aftermarket parts. It's my understanding that the glow light color can be changed within the HUs settings. Unfortunately I couldn't tell you exactly where because I had told the seller before hand that I wanted the lights white so they were already white when I received it.
I couldn't find it at all in the settings last night. All I could find was general screen brightness and whatnot. I'm suspecting that I may be SOL and they aren't able to be changed. My fault for just assuming mine would come white despite the ad listing red as y'alls came white.

Quote:
For 2) GPS does not require any data connection to detect your position. It could be that you positioned the GPS antenna in such a position that it doesn't get a strong signal. Where did you place the antenna? There's two apps on the HU that will display the GPS signal strength in real time. I ended up placing the GPS antenna in the same location as the stock GPS antenna per @guy989 suggestion here. Also are you inside a garage? My signal strength drops significantly inside my garage where I did my original install.
No I was outside in the driveway and I just had the GPS antenna kind of loosely sitting amongst the wiring. I did find the two apps that showed GPS signal strength but it was gibberish to me. Thanks for the heads up on placing the antennas in that center dash grille. I'll try again tonight.

Quote:
I did not have this connector. What year and trim is your car? Do you have the factory tech package?
Mine is a 2014 manual transmission "Sport" trim. It does not have factory Bose, factory tech package, factory backup cam or anything like that.
post #226 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garage
Yes you need it, It is for USB function of the radio allowing you to connect flash drives to unit, and canbus need to connect the can bus connector on harness, If I remember correctly for your radio to function correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MadStyle; 12-07-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #227 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
yeah you definitely want to fix that canbus connector. That sucks that it was severed somehow. What I would do is first see if you can rig it with a butt splice or some other solid splice connection. If you can't, take a picture and send it to smartrover, demanding a replacement. I'm sure they'll oblige as something like that would be a minor cost to them.

The USB connector isn't a necessity, there's no way to mate that connector with your unit unless you buy a converter cable on ebay. I bought one, connected it, and it still didn't work. So I just leave it disconnected. For usb I just used an extension cable and have it accessed though my glovebox.

As for the lighting, that sucks, I didn't actually ask them to change it, but it just happened to show up that way (it's been so long that I may be mistaken, but I know it came stock as white).
post #228 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 01:27 PM

Well, the problem isn't just that the wire was severed, it was rather pulled entirely off the crimp from the internal pin. I can look in there and see the little "arms" sticking up that I assume should be pressed down around the wire. I need to try to de-pin it somehow and fix that crimp and then re-pin it. I have some experience de-pinning/re-pinning automotive ECU plugs but this harness end is TINY and I can't really see how to get in there to do it. I messaged Smart Rover and while I'm sure they'll probably mail me a replacement that'll be another month of waiting.

I'm sure I can figure something out to repair the harness myself I just want to fully understand the function.

Okay, so this gray wire in question in my dash is for the USB in the center console. @MadStyle says that there is no way to keep that - is that the case even with an adapter? Something like this?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-...8.4.117.C2vzua

Is this the type of adapter you bought @Hisma that you said didn't work? I guess I'm still confused about my damaged connector. The damaged connector is the only thing on my HU or any of the harnesses that contains a USB plug(s) yet they are labeled 3G and DVD.

You said you bought an extender and have it in your glovebox. Where exactly does this connect with your Android HU? Does it just plug into "3G" or "DVD"?
post #229 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Yeah I'd still request a replacement, and while I was waiting, try to fix the existing connector.
@MadStyle is correct, even with that adapter, it still doesn't work. My only guess is that mazda swapped some pins on their harness in comparison to others which is why that adapter doesn't work. It fits, but doesn't operate as a full-fledged USB connection. I have a feeling if someone was determined, they could figure out a way to make it work, but it was never worth the hassle to me.

The USB plugs labeled 3G and DVD are just standard USB 2.0 connectors. They provide .5 amps of power, and allow you to connect devices like thumb drives, USB-powered 3G modems, etc. I just used a USB to USB extension cable to extend the length. Pretty sure the unit comes with one. You can even connect a usb hub to get extra USB ports out of a single connection, but be mindful of the .5 amps... don't expect it to power devices that need a lot of power. Thumb drives etc work fine tho.
post #230 of 253 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisma View Post
Yeah I'd still request a replacement, and while I was waiting, try to fix the existing connector.
@MadStyle is correct, even with that adapter, it still doesn't work. My only guess is that mazda swapped some pins on their harness in comparison to others which is why that adapter doesn't work. It fits, but doesn't operate as a full-fledged USB connection. I have a feeling if someone was determined, they could figure out a way to make it work, but it was never worth the hassle to me.

The USB plugs labeled 3G and DVD are just standard USB 2.0 connectors. They provide .5 amps of power, and allow you to connect devices like thumb drives, USB-powered 3G modems, etc. I just used a USB to USB extension cable to extend the length. Pretty sure the unit comes with one. You can even connect a usb hub to get extra USB ports out of a single connection, but be mindful of the .5 amps... don't expect it to power devices that need a lot of power. Thumb drives etc work fine tho.
Thank you, that really clears up a lot for me. I was getting hung up on the labels thinking they were specific to a DVD player or 3G modem vs. just being standard USB connectors that could connect to just about anything.

About a plug and play adapter for my factory USB wire that is now hanging useless in the dash - is this the adapter you bought @Hisma?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It doesn't even look like my gray harness in my dash would even plug into that. I'd really like to get the factory USB plug working though. If I knew that would at least plug in I'd buy it and attempt to modify it but it really doesn't look like it'll fit my plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in