Battery stays on after I turn ignition off - Page 5 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donatolla View Post
I've got an old 2014 Mazda 6

Old?

This almost hurts my feelings...
Poet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
I did this replacement yesterday. Without a factory service manual, it would be almost impossible. Most of the links I found on the forum were dead; Mazda enjoys the $19.95 daily fee to use the online version and sends their lawyers out to shut down free versions. Even with it (search long enough and you'll find one), it's a bear to do the job the first time.

I could do another one pretty quickly, but this is a tough job. Most of my time was spent before finding the manual online. Replacing the switch is incredibly simple once the console is off. The place to be careful is the park lock override -- there is a small white rotating lever with a separate small spring. Look carefully before you remove it and replace it exactly as you found it. Test it before you reassemble. When the button is pressed, you should be able to shift out of park with the car off. With the lever up, you should not be able to shift out of park.

One of the benefits of doing this myself was the opportunity to clean all the trim pieces in the console and around the shifter. After 6 years (mine's a July 2012 build) there is quite a bit of food particles and spilled drink goo even if one is fairly careful. It looks new again now.

Quick step-by-step:
  • Disconnect battery negative terminal. I actually didn't, but do that at your own risk. I really hate programming radio buttons....
  • Unsnap and unzip the cover around the e-brake lever.
  • Beginning at the seam of the console storage box, pry up gently on the back of the top cover (which has the cup holders in it). There are two built-in pry points here to get you started. Open the length of the cover evenly and you can avoid breaking clips and then lift it off upwards. Once loose, unplug the Commander module connector.
  • In the back seat, gently pry off the back cap of the console (it has a HVAC vent on it). Pry bottom first and keep it as upright as possible (don't pry too much on the bottom first -- keep it even).
  • Open the console and remove the panel with the USB and Power plugs on it, and unplug the connectors.
  • Still in the console box, remove the bottom tray felt. Remove two screws there.
  • There is a plastic clip in here somewhere, attached to the floor of the hump. I don't think it was in the manual, but it has to come out. Also a couple of the wiring harness attachment points have to be removed.
  • Slide the back console piece back to disengage it from the front. It does not need to come out; just slide back.
  • Now remove the shift knob (on AT models this unscrews, I'm unsure how on MT). Pry up the decorative trim around the shift lever and remove (start at the back and move forward). Again, separate evenly to avoid breaking clips. Then remove the tray under the central part of the dash by prying up and then out.
  • Remove the panel that has the 12V outlet by pulling towards you. You should be able to slide it clear of the lower forward console box.
  • Remove the front lower console by pulling a plastic clip at the rear of each side, then prying the ends out. The whole assembly then slides rearward and you can wiggle it over the e-brake and out of the way. It's a bulky piece and a little awkward, but it's flexible.
  • Finally, follow the directions here: https://mazda.oemdtc.com/665/ignitio...013-2014-mazda. Again, be careful with the remote Park lock lever with a separate tiny spring on it.
  • Reassembly is reverse of removal. Plug in all the connectors as you go.
Carbon Soul likes this.

2014 Mazda 6 GT
6-speed AT, 97k miles and counting
Weatherford, OK

The Following User Says Thank You to jsouth For This Useful Post:
Carbon Soul (06-25-2018)
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Add me to the list of people with this issue, 2014 as well, just received my parking switch I bought from Mazdaswag, going to install this tomorrow or next weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm reviving this thread...again. I did this replacement a few months ago and it's really not that that difficult. It seems more daunting than it is because you're removing the shifter trim and all that good stuff but the actual part replacement isn't terrible. I have a few pics I took after everything was apart that I will try and find and post so that anyone else who shows up here with this issue has a point of reference.
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Groans: 9
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
press the ignition button with your foot off the brake.
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
You might want to read through the thread first.
post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:56 PM

Here are the pictures I took including the "instructions" I got when I ordered the switch off Ebay. I circled the actual switch in the last picture just for a point of reference of where you need to get and what you're looking for.

If anyone shows up here in the future and needs help with this feel free to hit me up and I'll try and assist since I know this can be daunting if you don't know why the hell your car isn't turning off cuz it was for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	626.9 KB
ID:	223088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	706.3 KB
ID:	223090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	674.2 KB
ID:	223092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mazda4.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	666.1 KB
ID:	223094  
The Following User Says Thank You to Poet For This Useful Post:
jsouth (08-01-2018)
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Those instructions (first photo in Poet's post above) are printouts from the factory service manual and are EXACTLY what one needs to do the job.
Poet likes this.

2014 Mazda 6 GT
6-speed AT, 97k miles and counting
Weatherford, OK

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Issue has nothing to do with that, it boils down to a faulty parking swtich, read thru the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by billholton View Post
I have experienced this same issue with my 2014 touring. The issue is caused by a failing AT shifter switch his is definitely a symptom of a failing AT shifter switch (KDY0-46-040). Original switches didn't hold up and newer models of KDY0-46-040 are an improved version. I started experiencing this issue with my 2014 6 Touring earlier this year. When the ignition wouldn't turn completely off, I found that moving the shift knob right to left a few times while leaving in part would usually clear the issue. I had my Mazda dealer look at it and it was confirmed it was the switch issue. I am out of warranty (60K) and they quoted about $200 to fix. I declined the repair and reached out to Mazda USA through their website as I felt this is something that shouldn't fail ever, much less as 60K. I own 2 other Mazdas ('07 CX7 and '08 3) and made sure to point this out in my request. I was respectful and not demanding and was please when Mazda responded that they would cover the cost of the repair. Just had it fixed yesterday and everything is back to normal. I would encourage those of you with this issue to reach out nicely to Mazda and you may be able to get it covered. which doesn't recognize the car is in park. My solution has been to move the shifter side to side in the park slot as noted by jl4strng above and then cycling through start/stop again with foot off of brake. I have 60K on my 6 and had the dealer check it out last time I was in for an oil change. They confirmed the issue was with this switch but since I was out of warranty, it was going to be about $250 to fix (parts and labor). The service person told me it was a very common issue but that Mazda had not issued a recall for it. I looked into it further and the part can be bought online for $50-60 and considered replacing it myself. Before I did that though, I went ahead and contacted Mazda USA through their website to see if they would cover it. This is a part that should never fail, and definitely not as soon as 60,000 miles, 3 years. I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to pay for the part and installation completely. The part is currently on backorder but hopefully in a few weeks, I will have a new AT shifter switch and no more issues. I can't guarantee they will do this for everyone but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Update 8/20/17 - Mazda of Fredericksburg replaced my switch yesterday and everything is now back to normal. Don't hesitate to reach out to Mazda USA if you are having this issue and hopefully they will take care of it for you too. BH
Thanks for the suggestion on contacting the headquarter! I will see if I can do that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page