DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By josby

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements

This is some info that I'd looked for online in the past and couldn't quite find, so I thought I'd document and share when I recently finally got around to opening my car up. This is for the 2014 Bose system, but I'm sure the dash measurements are the same for all cars. I hope this will be helpful to someone.

(click the pics to see larger version)

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_0995.jpg
You can wrap a screwdriver with tape for this, but a set of plastic trim tools are safer to keep from messing up your dash plastic. I got a big set from modifry.com, but I've seen a smaller set at my local Harbor Freight store too. Start prying up at the back corner as pictured, then work your way forward. There are two push-in pressure clips under there. They're hardest to get out the first time. Find the online Mazda6 shop manual if you want to see a diagram of exactly where the clips are.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1006.jpg
Once the speaker cover is loose, if you have the Bose system, you'll have to disconnect the tweeter to get the cover out, because the tweeter is mounted inside the cover rather than in the dash itself. I always find it tough to figure out what to push on these stupid OEM connectors to get them loose, so here's a pic of it disconnected so you can see what you need to push.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1009.jpg
Because the speakers are so close to the dash, it really helps to have some offset screwdrivers to break the speaker screws loose, then a stubby screwdriver to finish removing the screw. I bought

and

for just $14 shipped from Amazon.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1017.jpg
Again, for easier removal for you, here's what the tab on the connector for the midrange looks like once it's off.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1022.jpg
Here's what's left once the factory stuff is out. The tweeter hole is an odd shape, but when you see the tweeter assembly later, you'll see why.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1019.jpg
Mid-range hole is 80mm diameter.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1020.jpg
Tweeter hole at its narrowest diameter is 47mm.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1050.jpg
In case you want to try to wedge a tweeter up into the factory hole inside the speaker cover, it needs to be a max width of 36mm. The weird bit sticking off the bottom is why the hole in the dash is odd-shaped.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1053.jpg
Interestingly, the mid and tweeter are fed from the same signal (check the electrical diagram), so the tweeter just has this capacitor (can't read the microfarad rating) on it acting as a first-order 6db/octave high-pass filter to keep it from getting destroyed by bass notes.

Last edited by josby; 09-30-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
@Byakuya I think this needs to be added to the 3rd gen one stop shop thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostlyShdow For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (10-01-2014)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1056.jpg
The center cover is held in the same way - four pressure push-in clips, then tilt up and lift out. The manual says to start with one of the center clips, then move to the clip closest to you on the same side next, then the other clip closest to you, then finally the other center clip. My last one was REALLY hard to get out, and ended up breaking a bit (it's the farthest back one, and you can kind of see where it's broken). In retrospect, I think wiggling it a little while pulling on it might've gotten it out with less force.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1058.jpg
Here's what's underneath - the 80mm/3.15" midrange and the GPS antenna. They sure wasted a lot of space with that thing.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1061.jpg
More room underneath the center speaker than the side ones.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1063.jpg
80mm hole, same as the sides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1024.jpg
DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1026.jpg
For comparison purposes, I took some pics with the speakers I plan to put in, which are Hybrid Audio Legatia L3v2's. According to the manufacturer, they're a 3.7" speaker that require a 74mm mounting hole. Mounting depth is 43mm. The bolt circle diameter is 84.5mm, and total diameter is 93mm. Total height is 54.5mm

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1033.jpg
DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1034.jpg
Here they are in the driver's side hole. These things are a TIGHT fit. I definitely thing 93mm is about as big a diameter speaker you could get in here. Notice that they're not sitting quite flat - that's because a bit of the dash underneath them interferring, shown in the next pic.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1040.jpg
That black piece with the gray clip coming through it is what's in the way. You can actually see some scratches on the left edge of it from the side of my speaker's magnet where I was wiggling it around some. So I think I'll need to trim a little bit off it it to make my speaker sit flush.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1064.jpg
Here's the same speaker sitting in the center channel. It sits flush, but is partially blocking one of the holes the cover hook slides into, the one on the side closest to the camera.

DIY: 3rd Gen Remove Dash Speakers, Plus Measurements-img_1076.jpg
Here you can see part of that cover hook bending a little bit to the left due to hitting the speaker. I expect I'll have to cut a bit of that one hook off so it'll fit, but I don't think that'll affect anything.
Akbhar likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:06 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 782 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2886 Post(s)
Thanked 4,060 Times in 2,852 Posts
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyShdow View Post
@Byakuya I think this needs to be added to the 3rd gen one stop shop thread.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

@josby great write-up.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byakuya For This Useful Post:
GhostlyShdow (10-01-2014), josby (10-01-2014)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:10 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm thinking of swapping in some Hertz DCX 87.3. Splicing in is the only option? Any details on this exact process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page