Push button starter easier to steal? - Page 4 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa76 View Post
Well, the unthinkable has happened. I woke up to an empty driveway this morning. Pretty sure my car was stolen. I can't imagine how. Both sets of keys were in my house. Auto door locks were active. I'm flabbergasted, but the fact remains: my baby is gone. Fuckin' breaks my heart.
Sorry to hear about that man. We live in the Seattle area. Where abouts did it happen? This causes me some concern as we have a Mazda 3 that has the proximity key and it's usually parked at the end of the driveway. I love the convenience but im not a big fan of the hack ability of the key fob.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
Sorry to hear about that man. We live in the Seattle area. Where abouts did it happen? This causes me some concern as we have a Mazda 3 that has the proximity key and it's usually parked at the end of the driveway. I love the convenience but im not a big fan of the hack ability of the key fob.
I live in Kent. I recommend looking into a GPS tracker. Lojack or something else. Haven't done any research myself but wished I had before all this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Whats the range that the hi-jacking device has to pick up the code off your key fob? like if your keys are next to your bad in the very back of the house?
I'm not worried just curious? I park both our Mazda's in the garage anyways.

2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6 Spd Manual Deep Crystal Blue Metallic- Cork Sport SRI w/Cold Air Box, Racing Beat Exhaust, JBR Short Shift Plate, Full Kicker Audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waughoo View Post
I live in Kent. I recommend looking into a GPS tracker. Lojack or something else. Haven't done any research myself but wished I had before all this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Good advice... again, sorry about the car. Hopefully the insurance claim will go smoothly.

Alex
2004 6s Wagon MTX - grocery hauler
---}
{---

MODS: Tinted windows, RX8s with 225/45 R18s,
, and
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza85 View Post
Whats the range that the hi-jacking device has to pick up the code off your key fob? like if your keys are next to your bad in the very back of the house?
I'm not worried just curious? I park both our Mazda's in the garage anyways.

Don't know for sure, and there are multiple devices that thieves can buy, so the working range likely varies. This isn't the first time I've heard about cars being stolen right out of people's driveways while the keys were safely inside the house, so personally, I wouldn't roll the dice.

Faraday bags are $15 to $20. Buy two of them. One for the spare key, and (as much as it's a pain in the ass) get in the habit of always storing your primary key in the other bag whenever you park outside (in the driveway, at the grocery store, at work, etc.)

The bags really work. I've tested them on our cars. With the key in the pouch, you can't open the doors from 2" away or start the engine even if you're sitting inside the car.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumVT View Post
Faraday bags are $15 to $20. Buy two of them. One for the spare key, and (as much as it's a pain in the ass) get in the habit of always storing your primary key in the other bag whenever you park outside (in the driveway, at the grocery store, at work, etc.)
Pretty much nulls the point of a keyless system - in which only advantage is NOT having to take your key out of your pocket. Now, you are taking your key in and out of a faraday bag - and I assume you are having to take the faraday bag in and out of your pocket, or purse, in order to take the key in/out of the faraday bag... NO?

Mfg have known about this problem for years, and still make this crap?? About your only choice is driving rather old cars. Heyday for car burglars...thanks to mfgs....

High Tech....bahhhhh

Progress.... hahhhaaaa!!
post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtveloce View Post
Pretty much nulls the point of a keyless system - in which only advantage is NOT having to take your key out of your pocket. Now, you are taking your key in and out of a faraday bag - and I assume you are having to take the faraday bag in and out of your pocket, or purse, in order to take the key in/out of the faraday bag... NO?

Yup...most worthless convenience feature introduced in recent years, catering to peak laziness. Seriously, how hard could it possibly be to pull your key out and use it to get into and turn on your car? ^@%#&! idiots that invented keyless entry/start technologies and even stupider manufacturers for buying into it.
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
The push-button part doesn't rankle me, because you need to take an ACTION to turn on the RF transmitter, which means you need to be able to put your paws on it.

That's roughly equivalent to inserting a key AND a cryptographic rolling code is more secure than a physical key, just on the number of combinations available.

However, proximity keys are another matter. There you've gone from "two factors" (must possess a thing and do something with the thing) to one factor (mere possession) and now you've MASSIVELY decreased security.

I started writing articles on this nearly 10 years ago, and nobody gave a damn. Well, now the cars are disappearing..... gee, big shock.

NOT.
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:59 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Groaned at 48 Times in 41 Posts
It was obviously towed lol
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Groaned at 48 Times in 41 Posts
WHY DO YOU KEEP SAYING

"button less doors?

Does the GT have no buttons on the doors?

I have the advanced keyless entry 2014 and it has a button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page