Did I Blow Up My BCM or Something Else? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I Blow Up My BCM or Something Else?

I was installing my switchbacks when something bad happened. I had one side 'test rigged' the way it should work, hooked the battery back up, then turned on the headlight switch to the running lights position. My diode exploded and I turned it off/unplugged the battery again. I discovered I hadn't put the turn signal bulb in upside down like you are supposed to for this mod - I had it in right-side up. At this point, none of the front (194), side marker, or tail lights would come on. Figuring it must be a fuse, I checked all of the lighting-related ones and they are all fine. I then checked ALL of the fused in both fuseboxes and every fuse is fine. Here is what is happening with no mods in place, everything like factory:

Turn headlight switch to running light position: The relay clicks like normal and turns off after 30 seconds like normal. The dashboard lights come on like normal. NO exterior lights come on at all.
Turn headlight switch to low beam position: Same thing, except low beams come on.
Turn high beams on: Same thing, except high beams come on.
The hazards work just fine front and rear.
The reverse lights work just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I also checked the ground wires under the left front headlight and they are fine. Where is the BCM? I'd like to take it out, open it up, and make sure I didn't blow a trace off the PCB. Thanks for any ideas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 Tungsten Grey 6i Hatchback
'06 Tungsten Grey 6i Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

I found the BCM (behind the driver's footwell fusebox.) I pulled it out and opened it up - there was no burning smell, blown traces, or other obvious damage. I also tried swapping the headlight relay with the (unused) foglight relay and that didn't help either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

After a bit more digging, it sounds like I probably damaged the auto-light off control module. All I can find out about where this might be is "left side of the dashboard by the steering wheel." I can't find it for anything. Does anyone know where it is, have a picture of one, or know if I replace it, is it plug and play or does it need programming by a dealer? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

I did find the auto light off delay module, and it is working fine. I also discovered that the automatic function on the power windows no longer works, so I'm back to thinking the BCM is shot...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Turns out the windows are actually OK (forgot I had to reset them since the battery had been disconnected.) Nobody has any ideas on the parking lights problem?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

OK, I'm an idiot - I tested all of the fuses with a continuity tester (didn't actually pull them out to look at them.) Since the tail light fuse has ground at both sides when everything is off, the continuity test passed... All I needed this whole time was a new fuse...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 03:58 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Where did you find the headlight relay at? I have tried searching online everywhere and can't find the location.

Use the force, Harry. - Gandalf
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justingambit View Post
Where did you find the headlight relay at? I have tried searching online everywhere and can't find the location.
It's in the fusebox in the engine compartment (there should be a diagram of the fuses/relays under the lid) On mine, the headlight relay is the one in the picture with the grease pencil pointing to it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_000001.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	155258  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:09 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralexsays View Post
It's in the fusebox in the engine compartment (there should be a diagram of the fuses/relays under the lid) On mine, the headlight relay is the one in the picture with the grease pencil pointing to it:
Cool! Thank you for that! I thought I had checked that but I will double check again. By chance do you know if the BCM is plug and play? Does it require to be reprogrammed at a dealership?

Use the force, Harry. - Gandalf
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justingambit View Post
Cool! Thank you for that! I thought I had checked that but I will double check again. By chance do you know if the BCM is plug and play? Does it require to be reprogrammed at a dealership?
There turned out to be nothing wrong with my BCM, so I really don't know. I suspect, however, that yes a new BCM would need to be programmed by a dealer (same for a used one unless you just happened to get one from a car with the exact same features as your car, but even then I think there is some immobilizer programming or something that'd still have to be done.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page