Climate Control Light Out - How to fix? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Climate Control Light Out - How to fix?

So last night I noticed the red back lit light and the text inside the knob (circled in red) are no longer working. I'm assuming there's a bulb specifically for that knob, I just have no clue how to get to it. Can I get to it by pulling the knob off or do I have to take the whole console out? Anyone know what specific bulb # it is? Thanks for any help.

2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport
COBB AccessPORT | COBB-StreetUnit SRI | Denso ITV22s | SSP | Prosport Boost Gauge Vent Pod (block8head) | RX8 Wheels w/ Continental DWS Tires | Centric Posi-Quiet Brake Pads | XCarLink iPod Connector | Clear Front Marker Lights | 35% LLumar Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

No one?

2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport
COBB AccessPORT | COBB-StreetUnit SRI | Denso ITV22s | SSP | Prosport Boost Gauge Vent Pod (block8head) | RX8 Wheels w/ Continental DWS Tires | Centric Posi-Quiet Brake Pads | XCarLink iPod Connector | Clear Front Marker Lights | 35% LLumar Tint
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I believe you are going to have to remove the entire console. I was looking at this as the same one on mine stopped working but then it started again.

Here are the part numbers that I found in my quick search. Hopefully they got the number and color correct. Prices are from Tasca.

Bulb, air conditioning switch (red - 3) - GJ6R-61-C95 - $8.91
Bulb air conditioning switch (amber -2) - GJ6G-61-C95 - $8.91

Here are some instructions someone else posted on getting to them (not my instructions!)

AC control light out

The installation process only takes about 10 minutes if you know what you're doing and are meticulous about the process.

First you will need to remove the center console. To do so, you need to remove the cupholder surround first. It clips into place. Start along one of the sides and work your way around until it releases fully. DON'T FORCE IT!

Then you'll need to remove the gearknob and remove the section of the center console that houses the gearlever surround. This also clips into place. Basically if you start lifting it at the back edge and then slide it towards the back of the car it will release.

At this point, make sure that you put some sort of protection over the threaded end of the gear lever. If you don't do this, you're going to scratch the hell out of your center stack when you remove it.

Then you'll need to remove the two screws that hold the center stack in place. They are at the outer edges of the bottom of the stack.

Then you'll need to remove the glovebox. To do so, unloop the string from the right-hand side of it (this helps to keep it from flopping out). Then squeeze the sides of the glovebox towards each other and it will release and you can pull it out.

The next part will require a 10mm hex socket wrench with a relatively long handle or extension. Make sure that you either put some tape inside the hex or put something beneath the bolt as you start to remove it. To get at this bolt, you'll need to move down into the passenger-footwell and sort of back towards the center stack from the glovebox area.

After you've removed the bolt, you can remove the center stack. To do so, lift it gently from the bottom and pull out towards the rear of the car. I suggest holding it at the bottom and via one of the vent-holes (don't pull on the vent itself, it might break).

Disconnect all the connectors (try to keep a note of where each one is supposed to go, it's not hard to figure out if you don't, but it can make life a little easier if you do). Each of the connectors has a press-latch that you can use a screwdriver to release.

Now that you've got the console free, you should be able to see the back-side of the ventilation control unit and see the three holes in the back of it that house the little lightbulbs. A small flathead screwdriver turned counter-clockwise will release them. Replace whichever ones you want, do whatever stereo mods you're going to do and put it all back together by basically reversing the steps above!

Scott
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HerronScott For This Useful Post:
snarkwad (09-07-2011), SuperTrooper169 (08-17-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the write up, Scott! I really appreciate it. I ended up figuring out where the bulb is and how to get to it the other day before seeing your post. I had already taken the center console out when I put in my XCarLink, so it was easy to get to, I just had no clue how to get the bulb. I went to RadioShack and bought a micro bulb but that didn't work. I just called my local Mazda dealer, gave them the number you listed above and they'll have it tomorrow morning. $13 but worth it. Thanks again, buddy!

2007 Mazdaspeed6 Sport
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 AM
Learners License

same thing happened to me, thanks heaps.
good old search box.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Great info here. Thanks

2006 MazdaSpeed 6 Grand Touring | Velocity Red Mica
DashHawk, CS TIP/SRI/TMIC, SU MM, JB EGR block plate/plug/TB TIG, CPE RDM, Perrin EBCS, Turbosmart BPV,TWM Stage 2 STS + metal bushings, Denso ITV-22, SM OCC, silicone boost tubes, Bilstein HD, LED bulbs, TRS projectors, HID fogs, Hawks pads, Amsoil diff/pto/trans, navi, XCarLink USB
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you guys ever get these fixed? I replaced mine last week with 3 cheap bulbs from superbrightleds.com if you need the link.

Blazing Copper 2004 6s | Shark Fin| LED Tails | Amber Hatch LED Strips | Amber Door x 4 LEDs
Blue Map x 4 LEDs | Natural White License x 5 Plate LEDs | Red Cupholder LEDs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom18 View Post
Did you guys ever get these fixed? I replaced mine last week with 3 cheap bulbs from superbrightleds.com if you need the link.
If you could send me that link, I'd really appreciate it! I don't know which bulb to order....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry to reply to an old thread, but the "Off" and "Auto" buttons do not illuminate after I replaced the bulbs this past weekend. I thought the old bulbs were burned out so I figured I'd order all new bulbs and replace them for the AC control knobs. After replacing them, they still do not illuminate and only the middle one is illuminating. It was doing same thing before I worked on it.

I used this link to find out what bulbs to order and replace:

Climate Control Back Light Out - Need Help - Mazdaspeed Forums

Car is Mazda 6, V6, 2003.

The car had a Kenwood stereo installed about 3 years ago along with a Metra stereo kit/frame thing. I don't know if the lights were working before or after that. It's the wife's car and she isn't bothered by it like I am. I drive it on rare occasions and it is usually at night, so to me the issue is very noticeable.

Should I look at replacing the a/c control panel?

Thanks!

Last edited by Noghri2112; 07-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 1
good to know, mine has also gone out

'04 Mazda 6s 4dr (Glacier Silver)
18" '09 RX-8 rims/tires, HIDs, K&N filter, 45/20% window tint, debadged emblems, 194 LEDs, '07 black trimmed taillights w/red turn signals, chrome JDM grille, door handles & trunk lip, billet lower grille, strut tower brace, LeBra hood protector, XM Radio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page