User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, as stated, can anyone link me to the specifications of the Mazda 6 stock battery? All I can find is that it is a GR40R battery, and when you google it, you come up with rat's ass! I'm trying to figure out the specifications of the stock Mazda6 battery so I can compare it to an aftermarket battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kai

2005 Lapis Blue 6s AT Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay, as stated, can anyone link me to the specifications of the Mazda 6 stock battery? All I can find is that it is a GR40R battery, and when you google it, you come up with rat's ass! I'm trying to figure out the specifications of the stock Mazda6 battery so I can compare it to an aftermarket battery. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kai[/b]
So exactly how many cold cranking amps DOES a rat's ass have anyway.........?

In all seriousness, you'd probably have to get that information from the battery's manufacturer. I don't even recall who that is but maybe a Google search for the name on top of the battery might come up with something, or maybe just another rat's ass.

"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and the Stock Market the most certain."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Okay, as stated, can anyone link me to the specifications of the Mazda 6 stock battery? All I can find is that it is a GR40R battery, and when you google it, you come up with rat's ass! I'm trying to figure out the specifications of the stock Mazda6 battery so I can compare it to an aftermarket battery. Any help would be appreciated.[/b]
"GR40r," wherever you found that reference, means "BCI Group 40R," and refers to the physical dimensions of the battery and where on the battery the terminals are located. The OEM battery for the Mazda6 is a Motorcraft BXT-40R. It is a flooded lead-acid (that is, conventional) battery made by Johnson Controls, and if you are looking to compare it with an aftermarket battery, you will find a whole bunch of batteries on the market with identical specs, because Johnson Controls makes OEM batteries for just about everybody (there are no batteries sold under the "Johnson Controls" name), and has a dominant market share. See this post. The specs will be identical because, except for brand name, the batteries will be identical, made in the same factory.

So far as I am aware -- and I did a lot of research about this about six weeks ago -- the only flooded lead-acid battery in BCI Group 40R that is readily available in the American market and that is -not- from Johnson Controls is the Deka, which Carquest also sells under its house brand. The manufacturer of Deka Batteries is East Penn, which -- surprise! -- is located in eastern Pennsylvania. The Deka battery in BCI Group 40R size has slightly better specs than the Johnson Controls battery in the same size.

There is no AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery in BCI Group 40R, but some people have reported success in shoehorning an Optima Red Top (made by Johnson Controls) BCI Group 34R size battery into a Mazda6 with a little jiggering and bending of the strap-down. (A 34R battery has about the same volume as a 40R battery, but is an inch taller with a slightly smaller footprint.) The Exide Orbital line also offers an AGM battery in a size 34R. The Deka "Exact Fit" model 9AGM48 should be a better fit under the hood than a 34R is, because its footprint is identical to the Group 40R, and the 9AGM48 is only 9/16" taller, rather than an inch taller, than a 40R battery. Of the three AGM batteries: Optima, Orbital, and Deka, the Optima and Orbital have a "six-pack" spiral plate design, while the Deka has a conventional flat plate design. The conventional design allows more plate area to be crammed into the rectangular space that the battery occupies in the engine compartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So exactly how many cold cranking amps DOES a rat's ass have anyway.........?

In all seriousness, you'd probably have to get that information from the battery's manufacturer. I don't even recall who that is but maybe a Google search for the name on top of the battery might come up with something, or maybe just another rat's ass.[/b]
Yea, it's wierd how you can so easily find out information about an aftermarket battery, but when it comes to ours there just isn't much info out there.

So Postosh, basically, your saying that our battery is made by a company that doesn't even show their label on their products, and the other company that makes battery's like ours is a better company? I was still looking for stuff like;

Weight
Amp Hours
Dimensions
CCA

I still can't find much based on the info you've provided, but, you provided enough info for me to make a decision on buying this with the CP-E lightweight tray, because I just installed a system in my car and am getting dimming lights. I'll be performing the "Big 3" this weekend so that part is covered. I'm also looking into an alternator but from my research regarding so, it is just fine and there is no need to spend "X" amount of dollars on one.

Thank you both
Kai

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
So Postosh, basically, your saying that our battery is made by a company that doesn't even show their label on their products, and the other company that makes battery's like ours is a better company?[/b]
You laugh at Johnson Controls at your peril. You would be shocked at how much of your daily life Johnson Controls affects. See their corporate profile. It is an octopus company like Halliburton.
East Penn (maker of Deka) does have an enviable reputation, but Johnson Controls is not a bad company, and if I gave you that impression, you have misinterpreted my perhaps inartful words. At approximately the same price as any of the Johnson Controls BCI Group 40R batteries that carry brands like Interstate, DieHard, Motorcraft, Autolite, ACDelco, Varta, etc., etc., etc., Deka's Group 40R battery has about ten percent more cold cranking amps and about ten percent more reserve capacity. Add to that a good record of quality control and low failure rates, and I think it makes a Deka worth seeking out. I believe it, as evidenced that I bought one myself.

Quote:
I was still looking for stuff like;

Weight
Amp Hours
Dimensions
CCA

I still can't find much based on the info you've provided,[/b]
You must be lazy. With the BCI Group number, Google is your friend. See, e.g., BCI Group dimensions. That was only the first hit of over 15,000 hits on "BCI group dimension." Did you even try to feed yourself?

Quote:
but, you provided enough info for me to make a decision on buying this with the CP-E lightweight tray, because I just installed a system in my car and am getting dimming lights.[/b]
Glad to be of help.

I have read Kinetik's claims, and I keep hearing echoes of P.T. Barnum. I have not been able to discern whence Kinetik gets its free lunch. Maybe it is a miracle.
I hope you like your new battery, but I would be very surprised if it addresses your problem. Big current draws generally need big batteries, or short charge cycles.

Quote:
Thank you both [/b]
You are very welcome.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Well all I need now is to fly you over here so you can have a cold one with me... Such a great response. I wasn't expecting a quality response such as yours, but I will concur, this is more than helpful and I am very appreciative. Yes, I have many troubles using google. I think it's because I'm slightly incoherent half the time I'm using my computer, but once again, cheers!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Well all I need now is to fly you over here so you can have a cold one with me... [/b]
Our son is getting married there next year. Be careful what you wish for. :P

Quote:
Such a great response. I wasn't expecting a quality response such as yours, but I will concur, this is more than helpful and I am very appreciative. Yes, I have many troubles using google. I think it's because I'm slightly incoherent half the time I'm using my computer, but once again, cheers![/b]
Have you already ordered your Kinetik? Here is a place advertising a better price than the one you linked:--(not a site sponsor, AFAIK).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Our son is getting married there next year. Be careful what you wish for. :P
Have you already ordered your Kinetik? Here is a place advertising a better price than the one you linked:--(not a site sponsor, AFAIK).[/b]
WELL HEY!! We can throw you guys a BBQ Hawaiian Style!

I haven't ordered my battery yet, but will do as soon as I get paid on Friday! The HC 600 is just about the same size as the Odyssey PC60MJ...but according to the specifications, the Kinetic HC 600 is a bit stronger. I'm going to try this for awhile, then see how well it works out. I will eventually be suing my multimeter as well to ground out my engine bay. Thanks again for the help and let us know in the Hawaii boards when you get a chance to come down.

Kai

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page