Brake Lights Do Not Illuminate When Brake Is Applied. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to carlow81
I have a problem where my 3rd brake light will illuminate when i press the brake, but the 2 other rear brake lights do not. The 2 rear brake lights DO stay on, but they do not get brighter when the brake is applied. I have checked all the fuses and they seem to be good. I haven't messed with any electrical or haven't tried replacing the bulbs, so I wanted to get some suggestions on where to start? I am hesitant to replace the lights because I find it odd that both would do the same thing at the same time so I am leaning more towards an electrical problem (but i'm not too sure).

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kpjimmy Send a message via Skype™ to kpjimmy
The only thing I can tell ya is to check your bulbs. Yep, take those suckers out, and look through them to check to see if the filaments are still good. If they are looking at all burned, then they are going to go out shortly. Just check your wiring harness to ensure all are nice and snug.

Why not buy one bulb from an autozone or someplace. Pop one in and test it out. If it works then buy another bulb, if not, you may have some bigger fish to fry and return the new bulb for a refund and go to the dealer to have your car checked.

GL and let us know what happens!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join the flickr group!

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thanks KP, I might as well pop one out and see how it goes. Will give it a shot tonight.

Quote:
The only thing I can tell ya is to check your bulbs. Yep, take those suckers out, and look through them to check to see if the filaments are still good. If they are looking at all burned, then they are going to go out shortly. Just check your wiring harness to ensure all are nice and snug.

Why not buy one bulb from an autozone or someplace. Pop one in and test it out. If it works then buy another bulb, if not, you may have some bigger fish to fry and return the new bulb for a refund and go to the dealer to have your car checked.

GL and let us know what happens![/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to valiance
i keep thinking fuses though. i once blew a fuse and didn't know, my whole back lights weren't on... and i passed a cop and wondering why he gave me a look.

2005 Glacier Silver Metallic 6i ATX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kpjimmy Send a message via Skype™ to kpjimmy
Yea, but carlow81 said the lights were on but only the third brake light would illuminate when his brakes are depressed. If it was a fuse, wouldn't the entire brake light set just not work? But I would tend to agree and double check your fuse while you are at it, just to be sure.

Come join the flickr group!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Yea, but carlow81 said the lights were on but only the third brake light would illuminate when his brakes are depressed. If it was a fuse, wouldn't the entire brake light set just not work? But I would tend to agree and double check your fuse while you are at it, just to be sure.[/b]
In some cars the whole circuit for the regular brake lights is completely seperate from the CHMSL, including the wiring on the brake light switch. That might be a place to check also, as it could be the switch.

Without a circuit tester you're pretty much playing a guessing game, one that could get expensive if you just start throwing parts at it without knowing what parts you really need to replace.

oh, FYI: CHMSL = Center High Mounted Stop Lamp, also known as third brake light.

"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and the Stock Market the most certain."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 AM

I believe the rear brake light bulbs are dual filament bulbs. The socket has 3 connectors, one ground and one power for each of the ccts, parking light and brake light.

It's possible but unusally rare that only the higher power filament (for the brake portion) is burned out in both bulbs at the same time, but it could happen. Usually one burns out before the other. The turn signal dual filament signal bulbs aren't too expensive IIRC so it's worthwhile trying a new one.

If you have a friend with a multimeter (or even electrical voltage tester - a simple probe with a light bulb to test for presence of voltage) you can test the contacts to see if voltage is present when the pedal is pressed. If voltage is there but bulb doesn't light then the filament is bad (or somehow electrical contact is not being made).

Or, get the cheapest non-tinted dual filament bulb that will work and try that first, and then return it in exchange for the proper tinted one if there's a price difference (I haven't changed out the rears so don't know if they're tinted or not) if that's the problem.

2006 MazdaSpeed6 Sport in Liquid Platinum Metallic
Beautiful BC, Canada
Changes: 3.25" ETS TMIC, Forge BPV, SU Boost Tubes, RPM Prototype Sport Springs, TWM Short Shifter and bushings, SU motor mount, Nokya H11 yellow foglights, RX8 wheels on 235/40 General Exclaim UHP, rolled fender lips, Fujita CAI, 3" custom single outlet exh with 2 (yes, 2) Magnaflow resonators, SpiralFlow and Aeroturbine muffler, Osram Silverstar H1 high beams, Turn signal mod, MazdaSpeed6 badge removed
Planned: VEI boost gauge (have) + Top PSI vent pod (ordered), CPE Standback EMS

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

It was the bulbs. I just had to replace them. Pretty crazy that they both went out at or around the same time. Thanks for all the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page