3rd Brake Light Flasher Install - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Sure, you'd just have to trace the hot wire for the brake light back to where there is room to hide the flasher. I'm not sure where the wires run on the hatch. This seemed like the easiest place on the sedan since getting to the wiring in the trunk lid is really tough.

EDIT: After looking at the pics from the hatchback mod, it looks like there is a cover on your trunk for the 3rd light. Assuming the flasher will fit behind the pastic cover (looks like you should be ok), you can just follow my steps starting at step 4 and everything would work.[/b]
yepp, plenty of room back there, i just change the bulb last week...

thanks for posting this up, i am gonna give it a shot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bry005
Very cool, but I don't see a purpose for this?

2003 6i : Silver ; Apexcone 6000k HID Kit
18" x 7.5 Konig Crosshairs - Silver w/ Machine Lip - Falken ZE512 225/40/18
Blacked Out Sidemarkers - 15% Tint All Around.

Coming Soon: Badgeless Sport Grille (getting painted)
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to GiftedPlacebo Send a message via MSN to GiftedPlacebo
Quote:
Very cool, but I don't see a purpose for this?[/b]
Increased visability.

Basically I saw a motorcycle the other day that had a flashing brake light and it got me thinking. I've been rear ended 4 times in the past 10 years (and I avoided being rear ended once by hitting the gas and going into the carpool lane and letting them hit the car that had been in front of me). The light on the motorcycle caught my eye, so I figured anything that would catch someone's eye is a good thing given my luck. lol

I've also been sideswiped and I t-boned someone that pulled in front of me during the past 10 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Nice write-up, but this is the equivalent to tapping your brakes and staying away from instances where you have to make suddden stops so that you aren't rear-ended...

Sig..... top gear87 bitched so I fixed it...
post# 9...

The infamous screen name windshield banner that mazda6club.com just wasn't ready for...

05 6I ATX/ 09-07-07 Dyno'd at 154 WHP/
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice write-up, but this is the equivalent to tapping your brakes and staying away from instances where you have to make suddden stops so that you aren't rear-ended...[/b]
True, although I must say that 3 of the 4 times I was rear ended I was stopped at a traffic light with other cars. The 4th time was on I-405 during rush hour and did the usual going 65 and all of a sudden you're going 0. I had plenty of time to stop, the dumb kid behind me wasn't paying any attention.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
True, although I must say that 3 of the 4 times I was rear ended I was stopped at a traffic light with other cars. The 4th time was on I-405 during rush hour and did the usual going 65 and all of a sudden you're going 0. I had plenty of time to stop, the dumb kid behind me wasn't paying any attention.[/b]
That's some bad luck and I see why you thought of this. I'd do it, but I'm no good with wires...

Sig..... top gear87 bitched so I fixed it...
post# 9...

The infamous screen name windshield banner that mazda6club.com just wasn't ready for...

05 6I ATX/ 09-07-07 Dyno'd at 154 WHP/
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's some bad luck and I see why you thought of this. I'd do it, but I'm no good with wires...[/b]
Well, if you do decide to do it, its really easy. Definately easier than the brake light mod and even installing the smoked reflectors. You don't have to run any wire, just 1 cut and 3 taps. Definately won't take more than 15 minutes even if you triple check everything.

When I did this, I took off the carpeting on the trunk to make sure I was using the right wire, but even then I was done in less than 30 min.

Getting my 4 yr old to press and hold the brake down for the video was the hardest part of the install.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Learners License

Personally I don't see how this helps.
I saw one of these on one car in front of me, and I almost rear ended it! Basically I was confused as to weather or not the car was braking or not, I thought perhaps the driver was tapping the brakes, like a crack head or something. For some reason I like to focus on the 3ed brake light, not necessarily the fully illuminated side lights, and when the light is flashing, it just for some reason confuses me. Granted my experience does not necessarily imply that everyone will have the same problem.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Track Racer

Quote:
Personally I don't see how this helps.
I saw one of these on one car in front of me, and I almost rear ended it! Basically I was confused as to weather or not the car was braking or not, I thought perhaps the driver was tapping the brakes, like a crack head or something. For some reason I like to focus on the 3ed brake light, not necessarily the fully illuminated side lights, and when the light is flashing, it just for some reason confuses me. Granted my experience does not necessarily imply that everyone will have the same problem.[/b]
That is the problem.
I think the flashing rate is VERY impotant. A low flash rate will cause confusion sometimes. It will be better if the 3rd brake lamp flashes at a higher rate about 6 per second.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 AM

Groans: 19
nice write up

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page