Prosport Boost and A/F ratio gauge wiring - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Suspect6
Ok, I know that everyone is probably getting sick and tired of these Gauge wiring topics and I promise, I looked through and tested every way listed on this site by other mazda owners. Despite all of my efforts the best I could get was both gauges turning on when the car is started. Both initiate with lights and they look perfect. When I turn on the parking lights or head lights, the Boost gauge lights turn off and do not switch to the amber night color that it was made to do and the A/F turns off completely.

I have a 2006 MS6. Here is the wiring setup. After seaching under the dash and relentlessly connecting and testing I decided to go a different route. I have the daisy chain setup being the boost gauge is closest to the driver and the A/F being second with a lotek pod setup. Third gauge is on the way in the mail. The 12V ignition power I have connected directly to the lighter with my orange (amber) wire connected to the lighter light to initiate amber when the parking lights are turned on. I also have both red wires connected to the lighter as well for 24/7 power. This is where I think I might have gone wrong. I dont have a solder tool yet so most of my wires are needless to say, taped. The yellow wire coming from the A/F ratio gauge is not connected due to the fact that it has power when the car is turned on. I f you know what the problem is please let me know. If you need pics or have another setup that may work better. Im starting to feel a bit discouraged. If you want me to post pics of my setup I will take some photos after work and post. thanks for the help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to UCYIMD1
Quote:
Ok, I know that everyone is probably getting sick and tired of these Gauge wiring topics and I promise, I looked through and tested every way listed on this site by other mazda owners. Despite all of my efforts the best I could get was both gauges turning on when the car is started. Both initiate with lights and they look perfect. When I turn on the parking lights or head lights, the Boost gauge lights turn off and do not switch to the amber night color that it was made to do and the A/F turns off completely.

I have a 2006 MS6. Here is the wiring setup. After seaching under the dash and relentlessly connecting and testing I decided to go a different route. I have the daisy chain setup being the boost gauge is closest to the driver and the A/F being second with a lotek pod setup. Third gauge is on the way in the mail. The 12V ignition power I have connected directly to the lighter with my orange (amber) wire connected to the lighter light to initiate amber when the parking lights are turned on. I also have both red wires connected to the lighter as well for 24/7 power. This is where I think I might have gone wrong. I dont have a solder tool yet so most of my wires are needless to say, taped. The yellow wire coming from the A/F ratio gauge is not connected due to the fact that it has power when the car is turned on. I f you know what the problem is please let me know. If you need pics or have another setup that may work better. Im starting to feel a bit discouraged. If you want me to post pics of my setup I will take some photos after work and post. thanks for the help....[/b]

Ok from what I read on your post, you wired all of your power wires to your cig. lighter...which is an ACC power...you need 1 ACC power and 1 12volt constant wire....I forgot the exact wiring schematics on the gauges...but the red 12V wire coming from the gauges connect that wire that to a 12Volt constant wire (this can be found on your radio harness or ignition harness, on the radio it is the blue/red wire and ignition is black/yellow wire) Connect the orange wire to the power wire of the cig. lighter basically where you had your 12V wire previously connected....and the ground wire you can leave on the cig. lighter or again goto the radio harness...and don't connect the white wire and this will produce your gauges to light up amber 24/7 and they will do the opening sweep...hopefully this helps

as far as finding the wires under the dash...what you should do is drop the bottom cover of your steering linkage...and you will see all the wires for the ignition right there...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM

did you see avaitor79's DIY?

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=68778

i added some better pictures of my install with t-taps. read below

Quote:
well i couldn't wait for the vent pod and this time when i took apart everything (again) I took some focused pictures.

a few tips from aviator's post. I do NOT suggest tapping that red/green 3-bundle. i'm not sure what options aviator has but one day it was showing 12v constant for me.. and today it was showing 4volts. Thats why i took my car apart again. the gauge would not turn off! I suggest tapping black/green wires for ACC signal either behind the dimmer switch or on one of th econnectors in the fuse box area.

here is the hole i made out of the little nub at the top of the firewall grommet. the way I did it, was straighten out a clothes hanger and pass it through with the wires taped to one end to pass it through.

reach up behind the dimmer switch and pop it out. wire tap the green/black wire for ACC. In my case, i wanted daytime to be white so i hooked up the white wire to this

if you look under the dash and on the left hand side you will see this whats below. a big white connector and a bunch of black wires. they are ALL grounds. pick one, and tap into it

lastly for headlight signal, follow aviator's directions for th 5-bundle green wires w/ the rubber 'bulb' lookin thing. if you haven't messed with wiring yet, the green bundles are all taped together with electrical tape so cut the tape away to loosen up the multiple bundles. connect amber to one in the 5-wire bundle and that is for when your headlights turn on.

[/b]
for constant power buy a add-a-circuit and connect it to the open fuse spot on the top that iirc says rear window wiper or something. that is 24/7 power.

hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Send a message via Yahoo to Suspect6
I tried aviator's way but for some reason everything didnt work out like it was supposed to. thats why I went searching for other ways and different options to connect the power source. Its cool though, I like doing this stuff. thanks for the input ucyimd1. Im gonna go and see if your suggestion is better since I already have the hookup to the cig lighter. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM

if u tap the dimmer switch it will work... always check your conenctions.

my guess is one of the wires u tapped doesn't draw enough power and the other changes voltage when your headlights turn on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=71186

thats one i did that may help you a bit. i found that the bundles werent good for multiple gauges cuz i wasnt getting enough power. if the gauges dont get a solid 12v then they start acting weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page