Key fob died - where to get replacement? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
All,

I've done some searching on google as well as in these forums and can't find any information as to where to get a new key fob for my 2003 Mazda 6s. If not new, can the battery be replaced?

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kpjimmy Send a message via Skype™ to kpjimmy
As for a key fob are you referring to your car alarm fob? If that is the case, take it to any car audio place to get your battery replaced in the car alarm fob.

But if you are handy, find a tool to uscrew the unit and you can find the battery inside. Take it to your local store, be it target or walmart even, and try to find it there. Oh you can also try camera stores.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join the flickr group!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Yeah I'm referring to the stock remote key entry fob that came with the car. And thanks!! I got it open and located the 3V battery..will pick up a replacement. I shouldn't have to reprogram it, eh?

Quote:
As for a key fob are you referring to your car alarm fob? If that is the case, take it to any car audio place to get your battery replaced in the car alarm fob.

But if you are handy, find a tool to uscrew the unit and you can find the battery inside. Take it to your local store, be it target or walmart even, and try to find it there. Oh you can also try camera stores.

Good luck![/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
Mazda Guru

Nope no reprogramming necessary.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Nope no reprogramming necessary.[/b]
My fob died as well, but after replacing the battery, it still doesn't work. Next time I take the car into service I'll have them look at it.

2005 Mazda 6 S MTX Steel Gray sedan-Sport Package, Bose, Moonroof, leather
mods-Under bumper fog lights, lighted door sills, PIAA Extreme White 4000K high beams and H3 fog lights,Avon Tech M550 225/45ZR-17 tires, BR Lip , LED rear brake/tail lights, Apexcone DDM 4500k 35w HIDs in low beams
-mods on hold to save for wife's Miata-PURCHASED MIATA on 12/23/2008. Now the battle is which car gets the next MODs!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Mazda Guru

wow really? I may be wrong. But I am unsure why the fob doesnt work just by replacing the battery. Does anyone know if you have do something additional, ie. disconnect and reconnect the battery?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I just ran up to Radio Shack, bought a replacement - popped it in the fob and it worked great the first time!

Thanks

Quote:
wow really? I may be wrong. But I am unsure why the fob doesnt work just by replacing the battery. Does anyone know if you have do something additional, ie. disconnect and reconnect the battery?[/b]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Mazda Guru

Ah so I was correct! LOL Well thanks for reporting back!

Quote:
My fob died as well, but after replacing the battery, it still doesn't work. Next time I take the car into service I'll have them look at it.[/b]

I forgot to ask what year you have. Maybe that is a reason?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Sometimes the buttons get messed up too. On my old car, I had to have the Fobs replaced multiple times because the buttons died. Tried new batteries, but no response.
When this happened I returned to the dealer and they just swapped out a good one for the bad one. Just FYI.

2004 Mazda6s Sedan, AT, Lapis Blue, Loaded, Sports Package/sports grill, K&N Air Filter

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction. Turns out all I wanted was a Club Sandwich."
Homer J Simpson
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:32 PM

My keyfob died and it was not the battery. I took it apart and they are pretty simple inside just a wee tiny board with a few buttons. I took the battery out and cleaned it with alcohal and a few cotton swabs. Once dried I bent the tiny battery connectors back out so that they would be pushing against the battery better, and popped the battery back in and boom, it works fine now. So ya might try that before you throw it away or replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page