A Few Questions About DDE and HID lights. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to toastersauce
Thumbs up

Hey everyone,

I have not done any mods to my Mazda so far besides the Shark Fin antenna. Recently I've been thinking about buying some DDE lights or HID's. I was looking at the Xtec DDE Lightning: Raptor Edition kit off of therpmstore.com for DDE's. I've always seen DDE's on BMW's and have always wanted them for my car.

My questions are:

-What DDE lighting kit out there is the best?
-Can anyone with the Xtec DDE Lightning: Raptor Edition kit installed in there car provide me with some pictures and info on how they look/how they like them?
-On a scale from one to ten, how easy is the kit to install with very mediocre car knowledge? (I've never done any extensive modifications to any of my cars, especially electrical besides car stereos.)

Another thing I heard of is having HID's AND DDE's. I probably wouldn't want to drop 600+ on new lighting for my car. Is either upgrade better than the other? I know with the HID's, you don't get the nice halo effect of the DDE's which is what I'm really looking for, and I also know that installing DDE's will provide better/brighter lights than the stock which I feel is the main benefit of HID's besides the cool blueish effect.

One last thing that I can think of, I know there is some posts on how to install DDE or HID kits, but I cannot see the images posted and the only DDE instructions I see are Umnitza. Please forgive me in I've made an ignorant remarks, I'm disappointed to say I'm not as car savvy as I'd like to be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:34 PM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Quote:
and I also know that installing DDE's will provide better/brighter lights than the stock which I feel is the main benefit of HID's besides the cool blueish effect.
[/b]
well......
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=51790

and yeah true.. the DDE's are for looks only... although BMW says that it's good for safety-wise

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:36 PM

Hummm... This is Speed6 section... so I would guess you have a Speed6... and I was pretty sure they all came with HID's... so that should solve 1 of your problems...

Ass for DDE kits... I have the raptor off that site you're looking at... and they're awsome... Best i've seen probably... quality kit...

As for install... car knowledge is meaningless... Knowing how to rebuilt an engine... and how to rip apart headlights are 2 different things...

HOWEVER... its pretty simple... just takes time... LOTS of time to do it right... I told another guy about this recently... If you plan on installing the DDE kit... put aside an ENTIRE weekend... as in... friday pull the lights out after work... saturday get up early.. bake 1... pull it apart... bake 2... pull it apart... then spend the entire day cleaning it out... re-baking when needed... clean it up good.. the better job you do cleaning and the more careful you are... the bet it will all turn out in the end...

If you don't have HID's... for whatever reason... get those first... DDE's (blueish color) with ugly yellow standard bulbs = ugly IMO... you gotta have projector HID's before you go DDE =)

BUT.. both are well worth it =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 AM

Location: Waterloo (near T.O.), ON, Canada (Indonesian-Chinese)
Send a message via MSN to t_mo_t
Quote:
Hummm... This is Speed6 section... so I would guess you have a Speed6... and I was pretty sure they all came with HID's... so that should solve 1 of your problems...

Ass for DDE kits... I have the raptor off that site you're looking at... and they're awsome... Best i've seen probably... quality kit...

As for install... car knowledge is meaningless... Knowing how to rebuilt an engine... and how to rip apart headlights are 2 different things...

HOWEVER... its pretty simple... just takes time... LOTS of time to do it right... I told another guy about this recently... If you plan on installing the DDE kit... put aside an ENTIRE weekend... as in... friday pull the lights out after work... saturday get up early.. bake 1... pull it apart... bake 2... pull it apart... then spend the entire day cleaning it out... re-baking when needed... clean it up good.. the better job you do cleaning and the more careful you are... the bet it will all turn out in the end...

If you don't have HID's... for whatever reason... get those first... DDE's (blueish color) with ugly yellow standard bulbs = ugly IMO... you gotta have projector HID's before you go DDE =)

BUT.. both are well worth it =)
[/b]
Eh?? this is electrical section, not speed6 section...

werd about the HID goes along with the DDE, i m ok with the BMW effect of having yellow halos complement with the HID that came with the car, but vice versa, is a

Tanabe GF210 Springs, AutoExe CF grill, Retrofit (Bosch E46/Audi TT DOT projector) + Philips D2S 5000K (85122+) bulbs, Lower fog, 2 x 10" Sony Xplod, MTX MXA6001 Class D amp, 12" Varad White LED bar + 4 x Varad single LEDs, Airbox Mod, Sidemarkers Mod, Taillight Mod, Foglight Mod, Clear sidemarkers, 4 x white 6-WLEDs, 4 x white 5-LEDs, 2 x orange 5-LEDs, 2 x Polarg Hybrid XenonWhite 194 bulbs, 2 x blue 921 LEDs, 2 x OEM muffler tips,Redline MTX fluid, Ichiban Shift Knob, Ractive Shift Boot, TWM short shifter, Focal PolyGlass 130v1 components, Infinity 6802cf, Duplicolor Red caliper paint, Royal Purple 5W20 Synthetic Oil, Hawks brake pads
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 01:32 AM

Groans: 3
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Hockyguy171 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockyguy171
Installing halos is easy, for a first timer would probably take you 5-7 hours. I can do it in 90-120 minutes now no problem. They look really good and well worth the work. Basically if you know how to take off your front bumper then you can install halos. If you do end up getting them feel free to pm me for instructions ive installed and uninstalled them probably 6 times by now so I am very knowledgable about them.

2006 MS6 6 GT
FI CF Hood | Autoexe CF Front lip | Autoexe CF Grille | Autoexe CF Side Pillars | 18x8 TSW Trakstar 5 | Corksport FMIC pc'd black | Turbosmart BOV | Corksport TP | Magnaflow catback | COBB AP | AE Tower bar | Car-led tail lights | TWM shifter kit stage 2 | TWM Desert Eagle | Apexi TT | Shark fin | 35% tint | Rear tinted reflectors | Nightshade clear side markers | Xtec Angel Eyes | Apexcone 6000k H1 | PIAA fogs | MSD DH | COBB shifter weight | SU rmm
2009 CBR600RR
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:16 PM

Groans: 1
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's time consuming work, but the look you get is well..............here take a look:

[attachmentid=17492]

Killa!!!

---Aloha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_DDE.jpg
Views:	1465
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	51281  

大きく悪いお父さんのガレージ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where 'fix' doesn't always mean 'repair'
*Spare parts available*
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 05:48 PM

Yeah sorry... i'm so used to being in the speed6 section didn't realize I somehow wondered over here =)

U know what I find really interesting... The location people install them too...

I've seen several different setups now... I'm pretty sure the large DDE must can only go on the high beam reflector... HOWEVER i've seen the smaller one placed on all 3 of the other locations by now....

Some people do the blinker... others do the fake fog light.. and I did the driving lights....

Not sure if any 1 way is correct or not... The 'stock' bmw ones are placed around the high beam and low beam lights... but then you only ever see 1 of the halos if driving at night (because you won't see the one around the low beam if the low beam is on)...

Anyway looks good either way... I didn't know they'd fit anywhere else but around the high and low beams....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page