Auto Dimming Rear View in the MS6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to jse2480
I have an autodimming rearview mirror in my MS6 and although I like having the compass, I hate the autodimming feature. Every time I start my car, I turn the mirror off. Does anyone know if there's any way to make the dimmer be off on startup so that I only need to turn the dimmer on when necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to dsulli37 Send a message via Yahoo to dsulli37
Does it have a button?

My babies:
2008 A4 2.0T Quattro w/APR 93 Octane Chip
2007 Altima SE 3.5L V6
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT (Someone needs to buy this car)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to CLTatenza
Why the hell would you hate the autodimming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Does it have a button?
[/b]
Yeah it has a button. Everytime I start the car, the mirror is on, I press the button to turn the mirror off. The question is whether there's any way to make it so that the mirror is off when i start the car and if there's someone behind me with bright lights i can just press the button to turn it on. Kind of like taking the "auto" out of the autodimming mirror.

Quote:
Why the hell would you hate the autodimming?
[/b]
Why would I hate it? Because everywhere I drive no matter how far behind me a car is or maybe even the street lights being bright will dim my mirror. It even dims during the day. At night I can't even see anything but headlights. I don't know, I just hate it. It would be a different story if it didn't get so dark. All I can see are just two lights. Can't tell who's a cop and who's not :-P
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hummmm Sounds like its broken? I have 20% on my rear window... my mirror tints when someones behind me.... and I can see well enough... at night.. you cannot see anything but headlights behind you anyway.. thats why ppl have them....

During the day... Actually you know what... I think during the day mine isn't even on... the "light" that tells you auto-dim is enabled isn't on when i'm driving around during the day.... i'm almost 100% sure about that.. i'll test it later...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via MSN to LapisLazuli6 Send a message via Yahoo to LapisLazuli6
The 6s wagon loaner I have has this auto dimming mirror. I really like it. I am able to see a car behind me even when it dims a little bit. I am used to driving with dark tinted glass though, so maybe that's just me. The indicator light is on all the time when the car starts, even in the daytime. I saw it earlier today when I was driving to work at 11am.

I am thinking about adding this feature to my car actually, because I like it so much.

-Paul

- 13 Honda Accord EX-L Obsidian Blue - purchased 4/23/13

- 10 Acura TSX non-Tech Grigio Metallic - traded @ 32k miles.. lost interest

- 06 Redfire 6i Sport - traded @ 102,611 miles, trouble-free motoring and fun!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just noticed something in my car today that reminded me about this post.

In more recent times I had been getting the trouble that you are speaking of about the mirror dimming during daylight, though I figured out what was causing my problem. I had my university parking pass hanging from the power cable running to the mirror which just so happens to cover up the front light sensor.

Since this system works on a delta between forward and rear light, its always seeing the front as dark since its covered. Basically, do you have anything covering up the forward sensor or causing light to be significantly dimmed before it hits it?

Just my $.02 for the day.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
"I completely and embarassingly apologize for all of my current and future spelling mistakes" - Me
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:30 AM

Only way I know of to disable it(aside from the button) would be to disconnect the power wire. It would be the one connected to acc power. Check sleepers idea first, it might be your problem.

2006 MS6 - Velocity Red
Engine Mods: CPE Nano, CPE Nvsicid, CPE dual exhaust w/resonator, CPE PNP Standback, CPE FCF. CPE FMIC, Synchronic BOV
Driveline Mods: CPE diff mount, TT diff mount, CPE mm
Suspension Mods: RPM Sport springs, SPC adjustable ball joints, Forged Rays MS rims
Other Mods: VG Sharkfin, Clear side markers, 808's adjustable sub EQ, Dashhawk
Waiting install: CPE catted DP, DNP manifold, Whiteline Swaybar, CPE diff mount, TT diff mount, PTP pump internals
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Just noticed something in my car today that reminded me about this post.

In more recent times I had been getting the trouble that you are speaking of about the mirror dimming during daylight, though I figured out what was causing my problem. I had my university parking pass hanging from the power cable running to the mirror which just so happens to cover up the front light sensor.

Since this system works on a delta between forward and rear light, its always seeing the front as dark since its covered. Basically, do you have anything covering up the forward sensor or causing light to be significantly dimmed before it hits it?

Just my $.02 for the day.
[/b]
Not a bad suggestion. I might have two things there. I have a parking pass sticker right on the back of the mirror and I have my EZ-Pass off to the side. Where is the forward sensor?

Quote:
Only way I know of to disable it(aside from the button) would be to disconnect the power wire. It would be the one connected to acc power. Check sleepers idea first, it might be your problem.
[/b]
The other problem is that at night it just gets WAY too dark and I can't even see any cars in it. I can see dim headlights, but it gets much darker than it needs to be. I've just been turning the dimmer on when its necessary. Thats why I want to have it off on startup. I don't want to disconnect the power wire though. I actually wanted that mirror for the compass, not the auto-dimming feature.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As you're looking at the mirror from the drivers seat, its to the right of the arm holding it to the windshield (right of center). If you lightly feel, you can feel a molded indent/hole there. While driving in daylight, if you put your hand over it, it will go extremely dark.

This could also be influencing your nighttime darkness issue as well. Since it might be registering zero or near zero, when in honesty, it probably isn't near that dark with cars in oncoming traffic and the like.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
"I completely and embarassingly apologize for all of my current and future spelling mistakes" - Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page