LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to bioxide
Hey, does anyone know of a good place to buy 2 silverstar H1ST bulbs? I went to walmart and it was $36 for a pair. If anyone knows a place that sells them cheaper please let me know, thanks .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to nightracerx
Wal-Mart is pretty cheap already, you can get a $5 mail-in rebate in addition to the $36, the rebate form is on SilverStar's website, www.sylvania.com under the automotive lighting section.

I wouldn't recommend SilverStar, they aren't that bright compare to stock, and if you read the comments left by other members, SilverStars burnout a lot.

2003 Mazda Mazda6 I Manual Transmission Glacier Silver Metallic
- Atenza badge
- Sports grille
- Lower bumper fog lights
- Apexcone HID 5000K (Coming soon).
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to djquik1
I burned out at least 6 sets of silverstars in a 8 month span and went and got my money back from O'reileys on them.Save your money and get Hid's.You will be money ahead because the alternatives are eurolite's(out of buisness) or PIAA.I finally got smart and went retro HID,best money i ever spent.

2004 Mazda 6S Veilside(TRADED)
2010 F-150
1990 F-150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 PM

sylvia silverstars suck. End of story. They work with other cars, but toast out in our cars with a snap of a finger. I put in philips h1 +50 yesterday. THEY LOOK NICEEEE. $35 bucks but only good reviews and everyones so far has not burned out. Ill keep u updated. you can also see my headlights when im all teh way done with the h3's and 194s next week.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Cool, where did you buy the phillips? Can i get them in auto part chain stores? Also what happens if your bulb burns out while you are driving at night? do you guys carry spares? Or do you just use high beam or something? Thanks for the replies so far.

Edit: A few more questions, what do you guys think about Luminics like this one http://www.streetunit.com/product_p/lhw.htm? And how much would a full HID kit and bulbs cost? Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 14
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to djquik1
luminics....they are about as bad as silverstars in my book,but there have been a few members swear by them......I spent around $400 for my projectors,hid kit and relay harness.got the nissan
headlamp sealer for $20.If you stick with halogens,seriously go with Piaa's or Eurolites if you can find the latter.

2004 Mazda 6S Veilside(TRADED)
2010 F-150
1990 F-150
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM

philips +50 are from ebay. They only come from great britain and they came in perfect shape. Bulbs R us. Took 2 weeks to ship but saved me $20 bucks.

& as dumb as this sounds i was ordering shit from autolumination and i figured i would try out the super white h3's that were $9, if they go out so what, couldnt say you didnt try.

Normally $50 but are only $28. They are whiter for sure. And i think they are good for me cause i dont have the money to spend on HID's. Ill post some pics once i get all of my headlight done next week. I only have the h3 & 194 shippping to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philips-Vision-Plus-50...VQQcmdZViewItem
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:42 PM

there's also the sylvania xtra-vision in H1... these are really the Euro OSRAM Silverstars repackaged for sale on this side of the Atlantic. it's about $20 for a 2 pack at Kragen/Schucks/Checker, you can try the other stores too. there's no need to mail order these anymore.

the OSRAM Silverstars are equivalent to the +50 style bulbs out there including the philips. it's a clear bulb with a different mixture of gas to get a brighter burn. not superwhite, like the Sylvania Silverstars you're asking about.

as far burn outs, these aren't the same as the Sylvania ones. i've had my set in for well over a year and they're still running. at the end of the day, how long your bulbs last depends on usage and to lesser degrees installation and the manufacture of the bulb.

anyhow, scroll down and look for the OSRAM Silverstar thread and decide for yourself.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 01:09 PM

I think silverstars, osram or sylvania, are pretty poor in terms of lifetime (for sylvania) and color (for osram).

Unless you buy a bulb with a lifetime warranty (i.e. PIAA i believe), i would go with the cheapest set you can find. They will inevitably burn out, and sylvania is really expensive.

I bought some NGtech bulbs (which i had never heard of before) from a small auto parts store for $20CAD a pair.. and they've lasted more than a year now and have good color and performance.

'04 Mazda6i MTX -- VG Sharkfin Antenna, MOMO shifter knob, Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, AudioLink + iPod, Clear Sidemarkers, Lower Fogs, Royal Purple Synthetic 5w20, 17x7 SPYN Speed Evo Hyperblack with Falken Ziex 512
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

k thanks for the replies, i am seriously considering getting the Xtec HID kit now because the way it sounds i should put the $40 i intended to spend on the silverstars onto the HID. The only thing right now that i might have a problem with is the installation of the HID kit because i recently ordered the door sills and i spent 2 hours looking at the wires and seeing where to start and ended up not installing it. Everyone says its easy to install but i'm thinking, if i can't get the door sills to work, installing HIDs would be harder So i'm gonna try again this weekend when i have more time and see how it goes. Btw, i was driving home a few minutes ago and i saw two lexus's and noticed their lights were really white and noticably brighter then everyone else's, are lexus's equipped with HIDs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page